xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats  (Read 678 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 1 00:15 EST

From the Official Team Xbox Blog:

As you may have heard, with the Xbox 360 Flash Fall 2006 System Update we are adding support for WMV video playback from new sources.  Videos can be streamed from a PC running Windows Media Connect, Windows Media Player 11, or the new Zune client player, and can also be played from Optical Disc and most USB mass storage devices.  For all these sources, only the WMV video file format and codecs are supported.

* How do I know if a video file will work on the Xbox 360?
Currently only the Windows Media Video (WMV) file format and codecs are supported.  If you have a file with a ".wmv" extension, then the odds are pretty good that it will work.  Technical details on the types of files we support can be found at the end of this post, but the easiest way to find out if a file will work or not is to just try it.  Hopefully after you click play the video will show up on your display, but if the content is not supported you will simply get an "Unplayable Content" message blade from the side of the screen and then be returned to the Video blade.

* How do I create videos that will play on my Xbox 360?
Windows Movie Maker, a standard feature of Windows XPSP2, will output WMV video files compatible with the Xbox 360 console.  Either use the default settings when you finish a movie and click "Save to my computer," or just make sure that the output video format you select shows the file type as "Windows Media Video (WMV)."
Videos will usually look best when they are closest to the original resolution that they were created with.  Try to create video files at least 360 pixels high in vertical resolution in order to minimize content upscaling on the console.
If you decide you want finer control of the output video file format, download a version of Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/) and then start encoding away.  Optimal size and bitrate settings will vary depending on the source material you are encoding.  As a general guideline though, 1.5 Mbps is a typical bitrate that should be suitable for most standard definition content, and 8 Mbps is a common bitrate for high definition content.

* Can I get more technical details about the kinds of files you support?
- WMV video files with the extension ".wmv" are stored in a generic file container format known as ASF.  ASF files can contain many different types of codecs within them.  Xbox 360 supports most common WMV video codecs, as seen in the following chart:
Name (FourCC)
Windows Media Video 7 (WMV1)
Windows Media Video 8 (WMV2)
Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3)
Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile (WVC1)

- There are some files with ".wmv" extension that may play on a PC, but are unsupported on the Xbox 360 console.  Windows Media Screen, Windows Media 9 Image (Photostory), and some older Microsoft codecs are unsupported, as seen in the following chart:
Name (FourCC)
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3 (MP43)
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2 (MP42)
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1 (MP41)
Windows Media Screen V9 (MSS2)
Windows Media Screen V7 (MSS1)
Windows Media Video 9 Image (WMVP)
Windows Media Video 9 Image v2 (WVP2)
ISO MPEG-4 Video V1 (MP4S)

Anamorphic content with nonsquare pixels is currently unsupported on Xbox 360 console, and will be displayed as if the pixels were square.  If you want to play such content on your console, it is recommended that you re-encode the content in a square pixel format.

DoTsTeR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

well, I guess I still will be using my XBOX1 to stream all the stuff I converted to DIVX
(I got better things to do than run Media Center in VMWARE with Transcode360 just so I can stream divx)

I guess the xbox 360 streaming video without media center on some level is better than nothing
But really, nobody serious uses wmv for their encoding

Comon MS.. get your shit together and support the serious codecs... MPEG4, DIVX, XVID.. etc etc

Chris Williams
www.Abay.com

This post has been edited by DoTsTeR: Nov 1 2006, 05:43 AM

telemaster

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »

I put on frenzied look when I realize decoding possibilities of XBOX's powerful CPU!

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »

The Fall Update already has bugs in it. The Taxi 3 (WMV HD) demo video, that can be found on microsoft.com, displays in full screen on my 360. It actually should have black bars on top and on bottom. When you let it play for few seconds then press pause and resume the video again it will display it properly. It could be just the video file that is f'ed up. huh.gif

ZX3Junglist

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »

This is actually awesome.

Though I wish it would play divx/xvid, the fact that the X360 can now play wmv from a disc or USB is incredible. All the more reason to buy an xbox 360.

Next step: MICROSOFT, ENABLE DIVX/XVID/h.264/AC3 DECODING!!!

THDVL

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

So we can now play the WMVHD dvd's?

Mystic8277

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

Add XviD and I might buy one..

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(THDVL @ Nov 1 2006, 06:24 AM) View Post

So we can now play the WMVHD dvd's?

Nope. Either DRM or structure of the DVD make that no workie.

Gohan5052

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »

still endoding to wmv seems alot slower than other formats. and when i try to use wm encoder its stuck on 2 pass so i have to wait twice. i have plenty of hd space so im not worried about that i just want to convert faster

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »

Can anyone advise on how to stream wmv using Windows Media Player 11 ? I've been through just about every option i cant see anywhere how to pair the two devices together?

All help appreciated, thanks smile.gif

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »

What about WMVA encoded material?

H.264/AVC will have to be supported now, atleast in HD-DVD form as it's one of the codecs used for HD-DVD compliance. And H.264/AVC is so close to WVC1 anyway that it's just as good more or less to use WVC1.

The post makes no mention of the audio codecs allowed within wmv containers which isnt very helpful.

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »

Also I believe that WMVHD movies are encoded in WMV3, so providing they are in an asf/wmv container they should play fine. If they are in some sort of other container they may not.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

I'm getting worse video playback now compared to before the update. Its not just wmv's on portable media either, its marketplace downloads too. Yet playback from Media Center and Vista is steady. Anyone else having stuttery playback?

sillyboydarryl

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »

There are quite a few places that have cool wmv encoding tips

http://www.avsforum....threadid=227837

I actually use a program from http://nic.dnsalias.com/ to do my encoding..

it involves quite a few lil programs.. but the end results are incredible...

*MAJOR TIP*

Ok... you notice that the encoding takes FORE EVERRRRRRRR!!!!  Well.. lets speed it up...

If you use a 3rd party encoder like TMPGenc Xpress 3-4  (4 supports wmvhd natively... and encodes much faster)...

after you select wmv as your output.. you'll notice 3 tabs
VIDEO   AUDIO   OTHER

click on OTHER...

you'll see a performance tab

drag the slider all the way to the left.. and then move it one space to the right...

I found that it gave me incredible boost in speed without losing too much quality

If you are using the official windows media encoder... just select TOOLS

select Options

select Performance

DEselect Use Defaults..

and do the same thing here

Performance when encoding...

drag the slider all the way to the left.. and then move it one space to the right...

There are also tools such as DVD to WMV... I started puting my collection on a external usb drive

NOTE:

You need to format your usb2 hard drive to Fat32.. *sigh*

or it wont be recognized.... and this will put limitations on your file sizes... you wont be able to go over 4 gigabytes for a wmvhd file....

I have found that the high definition wmv encoded properly can look super and weigh in between 2-4 gigabytes per 2 hour movie.. (depending on the movie)

I'll write a complete tutorial if everyone wants one...

Darryl

notguiltystyle

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 01:13:00 AM »

Format choice? This is one area in wich the xbox 360 fails badly. Even the cheapest DVD players on the market has got the ability to play DIVX, XVID,AVI ext.ext.... why not the Xbox 360??? In my opinion the xbox 360 will never be the full media center entertainment hub without these formats! This is very disapointing to know that these format will never be used because of DRM issues. But Microsoft still insist that they do listen to there consumers?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5