xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 360 Extender for Beta Vista Requires XBL Connection?  (Read 213 times)

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
360 Extender for Beta Vista Requires XBL Connection?
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

So in other words....tack on another 40+ some $$$ for Vista Extended?  Thats gey.

Paperstack.1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

When you think of something MS did that was dumb, they find a better way to be "more stupider". This so far tops the cake. I really wished I lived near the main MS Corporation so I could break some windows everytime they try to pinch change from us or do something this dumb. Definately g-to-the-izay

(I know, the correct saying is "more stupid", that was on purpose)

Phat Phreddy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »

Not so dumb if you consier the possibility of banning flashed 360's from live.. Means even more core functionality is taken away if using a hacked box..

Also doesnt say if the membership needs to be gold or could be some soon to be introduced free (bronze).. Though how that would fly in territories like mine where broadband is rare is harder to imagine..

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Phat Phreddy @ Oct 21 2006, 07:00 AM) View Post

Not so dumb if you consier the possibility of banning flashed 360's from live.. Means even more core functionality is taken away if using a hacked box..

Also doesnt say if the membership needs to be gold or could be some soon to be introduced free (bronze).. Though how that would fly in territories like mine where broadband is rare is harder to imagine..

Did anyone read the part that says it will be dropped with the final release?

deltop

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Oct 21 2006, 08:57 AM) View Post

Did anyone read the part that says it will be dropped with the final release?

Nope, because it doesn't say that it will be dropped on final release. The guy says "presumably" which means he's speculating. We all know what large corporations can be like and MS may well not drop this requirement, no matter how silly it is. The fact that it's there at all, even in a beta, is cause for concern. They probably will drop it but you never know. wink.gif

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »

This just baffles me...no streaming videos if you don't have an XBL account?  I mean, I don't care because I have several accounts, but there's no connection there - just like the guy above said, that just "more stupider."

If they planned on dropping this requirement, then why would it be in place to begin with anyways?

...walks away shaking his head...confused...

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 03:46:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure I was connecting my 360 to Vista RC1 without being on Live... Can anyone else with RC1 test this? (I've since removed it from my computer smile.gif )

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »

Does it really matter? I'm perfectly happy streaming videos using media center on my original xbox and it supports other formats besides just mpg and wmv tongue.gif

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Oct 21 2006, 02:41 PM) View Post

Martin I can assure you this has been the case for a long time with the Vista builds released on connect.

I wasn't talking about XBC, in case you got the wrong end of the stick. This topic is discussing the potential blocking of Vista and 360 ala MCE without an XBL account.

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Oct 21 2006, 02:48 PM) View Post

Sure it does matter. Try a 1080 WMV9 encoded bit of footage and see how far you get with your old xbox  tongue.gif  Or better still, after the november update try a 1080 WMV9-AP VC1 encoded bit of footage and tell me if you got a whole one frame per second  ph34r.gif  Oh wait, there is no WMV9AP VC1 open source codec that currently is mature and reliable  biggrin.gif

So where are you supposed to get some of these types of videos worth watching? You can't buy the movies in that format anywhere and if you're going to reencode something to that format what's the point? What are you talking about being able to watch?

hbrdXΣr0

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

Maybe you need to be connected to Live so the Xbox can communicate bug reports on it's end back to Microsoft.

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

ok then fuck vista cuz on windows xp u dont have to do that

Moltdar

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

I'm sorry but i really don't think this is overreacting.

There's just something spooky about me not being able to watch my TV shows because that XBOX Live is down!    

Between this and the licensing changes for Vista, Microsoft are really screwin with us badly! It certainly doesn't makes me want to get the full version even though i liked Vista for a while now.

Also was anybody successful reverting back to the XP media center extender? Because now if I don't buy the full Vista and decide to make XP my perm OS again, i haven't yet found a way to access my XP media center with the updated files on my 360. That could be some pretty bad stuff for Microsoft!

crasher0255

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

Better be a feature they drop....seems to me alot of people would be watching MORE streaming video if i dont know maybe there internet connections down for instance, in which case they obviously cant connect to live

aceman118

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

I've had this problem for a while because I am on my college's network and they have live blocked. I didn't realize people didn't know this.
Pages: [1] 2