xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stream Video from XP to Xbox 360 with WMP 11? (not yet, maybe this fal  (Read 229 times)

quarky42

• Archived User
Stream Video from XP to Xbox 360 with WMP 11? (not yet, maybe this fal
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

I'd love to be able to play video with the XBOX 360 if it can do at *least* as well as XBMC in terms of quality support if not better.   Otherwise MicroShaft shouldn't even bother with it.

If they really want to rock then they need to allow loading movies onto the harddrive and playing compressed formats from there or a burned CD or DVD.

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »

It is not about piracy at all (For Gawd's sake, they have a CD ripper built into the 360 and the XBOX), it is about MS not wanting their 360 to become a media centre.

They absolutely don't want the 360 to become an all singing and dancing media centre unless they are forced to by Sony.

Why?

Because they lose money on the hardware - if the 360 becomes a wildly popular media centre and tons of people buy it for that functionality and don't buy any games then MS just loses a ton of money.

Also because they have a media centre product they want you to use (and that they actually *make* money on "Windows Media Center".

If they made a profit on the 360 itself, then they would make that sucker the media centre from Hell you can bet on it, and they would be touting it as the best thing ever. As it is, they don't want it to be that.

Our only real hope is that Sony try to push the PS3 as a super duper media centre, which would force MS to open it up to compete.

As for playback of divx etc. you can do that now with the 3rd party wrapper software, I play DIVX, HD WMV, Xvid, MPEG2, .TS HD files etc. right now streamed from the WMC PC through the 360 to my projector.
Obviously I would prefer to be able to put a 750GB drive in my 360 and play the files directly from there.

DaddyO21

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »

This sucks , with WMP 11 you cannot play music on HALO 2 , it stops as soon that the main menu loads , if you return to the dash it starts playing again , it also unistalled Media Connect  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

It doesnt even let me install Media Connect again damn it , what the fuck Micro soft.

This post has been edited by DaddyO21: Sep 6 2006, 07:51 AM

phoenixdigital

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

The inability to play xvid and divx is the ONLY reason I have not bought an Xbox 360 yet.

The second Microsoft or the hacker community provides me with a method of doing this that doesn't involve reencoding on the fly I will purchase an XBox 360... until then I am quite content with my Xbox with XBMC...

If the Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3 beats the XBox 360 to it I will buy one of those instead..

danked

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(phoenixdigital @ Sep 6 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post

The inability to play xvid and divx is the ONLY reason I have not bought an Xbox 360 yet.

The second Microsoft or the hacker community provides me with a method of doing this that doesn't involve reencoding on the fly I will purchase an XBox 360... until then I am quite content with my Xbox with XBMC...

If the Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3 beats the XBox 360 to it I will buy one of those instead..

the 360 can play XviD and DivX  http://www.runtime360.com/

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

Unfortunatly it doesnt play xvid/divx danked, it just playd converted wmv files with quality loss. Dont get me wrong, transcode is a great app, but it wont give as good quality as with xbmc smile.gif

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Sep 5 2006, 11:52 AM) *

That will never happen. M$ will not support anthing that supports piracy.

I thought it was humans that supported piracy? So... you're basically saying no decoder should be supported right? That means .mp3 too?

QUOTE(phoenixdigital @ Sep 6 2006, 07:26 AM) *

Haha, I feel you! I took mine back after 4 months for a full refund... haven't even thought twice about it. I think I'll be grabbing me a wii too! Good 'ol bureaucratic MS... cannot capitalize on this whole HTPC meets high end gaming console idea while they have the advantage... they'll wait until some else does and it'll be two seconds 2 late.

thepita

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

Microsoft has changed the wmp11 site the new info says

"you can use Windows Media Player 11 to stream the contents of your library to networked devices. For example, if you have an Xbox 360 or other digital media receiver (DMR), you can use Windows Media Player to stream music and pictures from your computer to that device. This even works with music that you've downloaded from PlaysForSure music stores and services. For more information, see Digital Media at Home. " http://www.microsoft...here.aspx#share

They took out the streaming video part!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]