xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stream Video from XP to Xbox 360 with WMP 11? (not yet, maybe this fal  (Read 230 times)

rasstar

• Archived User
Stream Video from XP to Xbox 360 with WMP 11? (not yet, maybe this fal
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(littlepitel @ Sep 5 2006, 06:56 PM) *

Divx / Xvid does not equal piracy.  Divx and Xvid are perfectly legitimate codecs for compressing your own media files.  Coincidently, since they have such a good compression algorithm, it has become the "scene standard" for pirated releases.

MSFT chooses to support MP3, even though the format is the "scene standard" for pirated releases.

If MSFT is not supporting Divx/Xvid because they feel that it only represents support for piracy, then they should stop supporting MP3 as well.

On another note, it has been confirmed here http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=491664 that there a several major bugs present in WMP 11 Beta 2 when installing on MCE that were not present in Beta 1.

In M$ eyes it will support piracy and hell if you own the DVD why not just pop it in the 360 and forget about ripping? M$ will prefer to support their own formats like WMA and WMV.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

Microsoft do that for us! psssssssssss right...... anyways if they do they should at least let us use our own codecks like i use the CCCP (cumberland community codeck pack) its got everything tongue.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Sep 5 2006, 08:08 PM) View Post

In M$ eyes it will support piracy
You clearly state your opinion about Мicrosoft (by typing 'M$') and it also seems that you don't know what you are talking about.

Мicrosoft will simply not support DivX since they do not want to pay the royalties/patents, plus they have their own video codecs. It has got nothing to do with piracy. Why do you think the DVD kits for the Xbox are sold seperately? Because Microsoft doesn't want to pay the royalties/licenses to play DVD for every sold Xbox, just for every sold DVD kit (from which they will get the money back).

Look at the logos on a Xbox. There is no 'DVD video' logo or 'DTS' logo. Only "Compact Disc" (because it can play/rip standard audio CD's) and "Dolby Digital" (because games can support it using 5.1 audio and the right AV pack). Мicrosoft must pay money for all the other functionality (playing DVD videos, passing DTS audio data, etc).

GARRYB

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »

crapp they are gonna get a dash board update off crapp nooo i jsut wish they cant get thrugh any off the stealth updates made by commode4ever or by otehrs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »

Sounds cool.. im to lazy to turn on my desktop (media center) and sit at a chair to stream stuff to my 360. Plus when i tried it (once).. it didnt work.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »

Microsoft could easily license DivX through a paid for download on market place...

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(tutu @ Sep 5 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post

Microsoft could easily license DivX through a paid for download on market place...
Then Microsoft would actually sell the codec from another company. Now that's talking about breaking your own windows. biggrin.gif

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

For those with an Xbox 360 and Windows Media Center, can you stream High Definition WMV files from your PC?

Also in regards to DivX and XviD, if these patent issues are true, why can I install these codecs in Window Media Player on the PC and play any DivX and XviD file? Why can't Microsoft let us install these codecs on the 360? My only explanation would be that it is actually illegal to install the DivX and XviD codecs in WMP. Yes?

Microsoft should have made streaming video from any Windows PC a standard thing. Really they should have made from the start any windows media format (WMA, WMV, HD-WMV etc.) playable via any network and any device including the 360 Hdd and any USB devices like memory sticks, iPods and USB hdd's.

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(jxoxn21 @ Sep 5 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

they're gonna block all our firmware updates those c***suckaz, i could feel it. We're all gonna cry about it.

Not all of us, we're not all filthy thieving pirates.

On topic, I can't wait for this. WMV is a good codec and it will probably also support mpeg 2 like the Media Center support. I'd much rather divx/xvid but wmv is better than nothing biggrin.gif

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Sep 5 2006, 08:06 PM) *

For those with an Xbox 360 and Windows Media Center, can you stream High Definition WMV files from your PC?

Also in regards to DivX and XviD, if these patent issues are true, why can I install these codecs in Window Media Player on the PC and play any DivX and XviD file? Why can't Microsoft let us install these codecs on the 360? My only explanation would be that it is actually illegal to install the DivX and XviD codecs in WMP. Yes?

Microsoft should have made streaming video from any Windows PC a standard thing. Really they should have made from the start any windows media format (WMA, WMV, HD-WMV etc.) playable via any network and any device including the 360 Hdd and any USB devices like memory sticks, iPods and USB hdd's.

Yes you can. I've downloaded WMV-HD trailers from the relevant sites and played them back with 100% success. You can get a load from here too:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ntshowcase.aspx

Even better, you can download the TS (transport stream) Hi Def movies and stream them through in HD. Albeit the average movie is about 12-14GB in size, but it's do-able, with excellent results.

I will also mention that the MCE for the 360 uses the codecs installed on the main XP Media Center computer (which is why it will thumbnail a divx movie even though you cannot watch it), including DRM license information. If you are in the UK and have SkyByBroadband, you can install the software on your Media Center PC and stream the downloaded files on your 360. For theoretical purposes, you could save the output of the 360 to a DVD Recorder - of course, this is purely theoretical!

This post has been edited by Martinchris23: Sep 5 2006, 10:36 PM

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

I use XBMC on a daily basis. Its functional and plays pretty much every codec I encounter with little bother. But the Windows Media Center solution will never reach XBMC's level of functionality thanks to the codec limitations and DRM that Microsoft have enforced.

Its only use for me at the moment is for playback of HD clips (even then, I can't play half of the ones I have).

The 360 will one day make an excellent media center, but it will be thanks to the scene and not Microsoft.

thepita

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »

this is what wmp11 says in the help files under what can i share.

In addition, the file must be of one of the following types:

Music files, such as Windows Media Audio (.wma), MP3 (.mp3), and WAV (.wav) files. Note that audio CDs inserted into your computer can't be shared.

Video files, such as Windows Media Video (.wmv), AVI (.avi), MPEG-1 (.mpeg, .mpg), and MPEG-2 (.mpeg, .mpg) files. Note that DVD-Video discs inserted into your computer can't be shared.

Picture files, such as JPEG (.jpeg, .jpg) and PNG (.png) files.

Playlists, such as Windows Media playlist (.wpl) and MP3 playlist (.m3u) files.

Aristotle16

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »

the dash update to allow video streaming could be a very typical MS move to promote WMP11. update the 360 and update to WMP11 (with Urge music service and soon the be released Zune ecosystem hint hint) and as a "bonus" you get to stream videos from XP.

birchi

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Sep 5 2006, 10:03 PM) View Post

Even better, you can download the TS (transport stream) Hi Def movies and stream them through in HD. Albeit the average movie is about 12-14GB in size, but it's do-able, with excellent results.

Also worthy of note is a program called TSConverter which will take your MPEG2 .ts file and wrap it up as a DVR-MS file which enables accurate, fast, reliable seeking too! Bonus!  Takes about 10 mins to convert the TS to a DVR-MS, give it a try.  For the program to work grab the following:

Download and install HDTVPump from here: HDTVPump 1.0.7

Download and install the small update for it here: Update

Download and extract TSConverter here: TS Converter

Run TSConverter, load your TS, click Control and select your audio track.  Click Control and select "Output DVR-MS".  Click Control -> Start conversion.  Now enjoy hi-def MPEG2 with decent seeking!  The program is also useful for stripping foreign audio as it can output back the TS again if you want.

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

Must.........have......divx..........sleepy........divx..........xbox360............must............have..............
divx............divx.............

If MS wants to sell as many consoles as they have predicted, they should just add divx support, and even support for future codecs where users can install codecs of their own chosing. Do that MS, and the 360 will sell itself, no doubts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  It would have been much easier if homebrew was supported on the 360 right out of the box,,then everyone would want one, even Super Mario + friends. But for now, lets sit back and wait while hackers have a go at getting homebrew to boot and hope for the best,,,,maybe an early xmas presant this year? I certanly hope so...

And for you guys who thinks divx = piracy, get a grip!!!!!

This post has been edited by [email protected]: Sep 6 2006, 01:11 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3