xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ATI's H.264 video decoder chosen by Microsoft for Xbox 360 HD DVD play  (Read 281 times)

TGD

• Archived User
ATI's H.264 video decoder chosen by Microsoft for Xbox 360 HD DVD play
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(dude9478 @ Jul 12 2006, 01:34 PM) View Post

I actually notice a huge difference between hdmi and component on my sony. Hdmi is much brighter and adds alot more detail. I won't get it if it didn't come with hdmi.

No man..thats not possible. There really isnt any diffrence with hdmi vs component on any tv that dont accept 1080p. I dont know how people say such things lol..its more like compoent uses multible cables and hdmi only has one... thats the REAL diffrence right now unless you got a native 1080p hdtv and your enjoying 1080p broadcasts... which your not and wont be for years.

I know why you seen a diffrence, your tv probally has memory settings for each input and your compoent input is calibrated diffrently then the hdmi input...you know brightness,contrast,sharpness,etc settings lol

kidkinetix

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(TGD @ Jul 12 2006, 10:12 PM) View Post

... its more like compoent uses multible cables and hdmi only has one... thats the REAL diffrence right now ...

Hehe, won't that be nice though? 2 to 4 HDMI cables into your TV, and a single Toslink cable out to your Amp..  That will be quite nice compared to the cluster f* of cables i have behind my tv right now.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(TGD @ Jul 12 2006, 04:12 PM) View Post

No man..thats not possible. There really isnt any diffrence with hdmi vs component on any tv that dont accept 1080p. I dont know how people say such things lol..its more like compoent uses multible cables and hdmi only has one... thats the REAL diffrence right now unless you got a native 1080p hdtv and your enjoying 1080p broadcasts... which your not and wont be for years.
I know why you seen a diffrence, your tv probally has memory settings for each input and your compoent input is calibrated diffrently then the hdmi input...you know brightness,contrast,sharpness,etc settings lol

Uh, I beg to differ:

the big difference between HDMI/DVI and Component/VGA is a truely digital signal vs. alanog signal.

In the Xbox 360, all the GPU's outputs and stuff are in a purely digital form, they then get converted to an analog singal in the video encoder. Similarly, a HDTV takes in the analog signal and converts it abck to digital, to control the screen itself.

I work at a comapny that designs audio amplifiers, I know first hand the effects of converting from analog to digital and back, you lose quality. Unlike digital signals, there is a degree of uncertainty in an analog signal, and it often does not get correctly interpreted on the other end.

However, if you have a straight digital signal from the output device all the way to the TV, you are certian that the signal is getting there properly, without any distortion from outside sources, like RF interferance and other noise that plagues analog signals far worse than digital.

So, for the average joe, the difference is not that noticable, the data is the same (the onyl difference is the way it is transmitted), but for an A/V nut/audiophile like me, i can very easily see the diffrence

Basically it works like this:

In an analog signal, a certain voltage on the line represents a value, for example, say 0V = 0 and 1V = 255, and all other vontages in between have a corresponding value from 0-255. Now, if the transmitting device wanted to output a value of 173, it would output the voltage, but it's not 100% accurate. Interferance, por quality cables, etc. can alter that voltage so it might be interpreted on the other end as being 172, 174, ...

However, in a digital signal, there are only two possible values for a voltage on the line: high or low (1 or 0)
Many combinations of these 1's and 0's make the actual value (173 = 10101101). So, for the receiving end to misinterpret the value as 172, it would have to get bit 0 completely wrong, mistaking a high signal as a low. So, there is a much greater degree of accuracy and certainty in a digital signal.

And that, it why HDMI is better than component.

EugeneEW3RD

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(soul2soul @ Jul 12 2006, 04:28 PM) View Post

blink.gif Most HD-DVD are not using mpeg2 to fill up the discs! But VC1...

Correct. Many of the HD-DVD are using VC-1 which is based on the Windows Media 9 codec. Blu-Ray is currently using MPEG-2 for movies hence this is the reason why many people who bought Blu-Ray have returned them because HD-DVD looks better.

m00nstone

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

THD that was a great response to the dude's comment about HDMI being better than component.  

So many consumers spend time obsessing over industry specs because regardless of what their eyes see, they are convinced that new technology will make their entertainment experience just a little bit better.

So the bottom line is this.  Component vs HDMI isn't really gonna change your experience to any great degree.  People won't look back at this era in technology and say "Remember the jump from analog component to digital HDMI, that was great.  1080p was sooo much better than 1080i.".

It's the truth, but many truths in this industry are obscured not by what people experience, but what people are constantly desiring to experience.

It takes guys like the dude time to understand that, and some dudes never will.

dude9478

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »

I'm not a idiot, this is with all the same settings. I have a sxrd, I don't think it's 1080p native, but it upsamples to it. Maybe its sony, but me and EVERYONE else that has seen my tv see's a huge difference. I have directv and comcast, same deal with both. Hdmi looks far better/sharper. If you want you can come over and see the difference smile.gif Maybe it's because my TV is pretty much brand new? I dunno, but it's def. not just me that see's a drastic improvment.

dude9478

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

Anyway, I'm not going to argue about this,it's off topic. Agree to disagree...

bevancoleman

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(HybridMATRiX @ Jul 12 2006, 10:47 PM) View Post

I really want to know how we will be getting Dolby Digital Plus/TruHD and DTS HD surround sound out of the xbox 360. There appears to be only two current options.

1. Downmixed to stereo and output via RCA
2. Convert to Dolby Digital and output 5.1 via Optical

Mathew Richards

Why would it need to downmix it? all it has to do is output via the optical cable unmodified where the amp can decode it. Thats exactly how it works on the DVD player currently, I don't see why it would be different for a HD-DVD player.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(TGD @ Jul 12 2006, 04:12 PM) View Post
That underlines my entire point made earlier.

I'm not sure anyone has yet proven that the actual local source to TV digital is any better than local source to TV analog. Sure it's better over broadcast because of bandwidth restrictions, but a local source has unlimited possibilities. The only two ways digital can be better than analog when it comes to the picture itself is if there is noise introduced into the line from the source to television, or an intentional restriction has been made somewhere.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(HybridMATRiX @ Jul 13 2006, 10:39 AM) View Post

Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD cannot be passed over optical/coax connectors. Current HDDVD and BluRay players output these formats over 6 analogue audio ports (which the xbox 360 does not have). Digital output of these formats will only be supported by HDMI 1.3, and players with this should be out by the end of the year. But as I stated above where does this leave the 360?

Mathew Richards

sleeping.gif

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(HybridMATRiX @ Jul 13 2006, 04:39 AM) View Post

Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD cannot be passed over optical/coax connectors. Current HDDVD and BluRay players output these formats over 6 analogue audio ports (which the xbox 360 does not have). Digital output of these formats will only be supported by HDMI 1.3, and players with this should be out by the end of the year. But as I stated above where does this leave the 360?

As a gaming console? I can't imagine anyone who can afford to spend $5000 on an HDMI 1.3 switching receiver is going to be using their budget xbox 360 hd-dvd add on for movies.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(HybridMATRiX @ Jul 13 2006, 04:39 AM) View Post

Mathew Richards
Somebody has their facts mixed up. Not only will DTS HD (and all these formats) pass over optical, but DTS HD will be backwards compatible with any standard DTS receiver. Why would you even think the next generation equipment would take a step backwards to analog? Optical IS the future, so why would it not be able to carry the signal? I think if the telephone companies say one optical cable can carry 250 HD TV channels, it can more than handle 6 or 7 channels of audio.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(HybridMATRiX @ Jul 13 2006, 04:26 PM) View Post

Directly from Dolby...
Well its actually directly from wikipedia, but the limitation is simlply on materials used. It wouldn't cost much more (if anything) to upgrade that equipment in future products. I expect that the toslink connections will remain in the future unless someone gets the wild idea they can make money and force people to convert to newer technology by simply changing the plug.

mark_in_2k

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 05:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(skyjock41 @ Jul 13 2006, 07:50 PM) View Post

im rooting for the 99 dollar price tag.
That would be a great price for the HD-DVD drive. It would give a great boost to HDDVD / Bluray format was, considering the prices of the BD players right now.

Come on M$, let's get this thing out!
Pages: 1 [2]