xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ATI's H.264 video decoder chosen by Microsoft for Xbox 360 HD DVD play  (Read 280 times)

shotgunsteve

• Archived User

1rst post

mod7

• Archived User
ATI's H.264 video decoder chosen by Microsoft for Xbox 360 HD DVD play
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

So any other reports on the HDMI cable?  Has anyone confirmed the 360 gpu is only analog output?

ereet1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

the new 360's have hdmi according to those spy pics. i guess we'll be watching svga res max on our old models

JibbaJabba`

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

HDMI vs. Component is not really anything to worry about anyways.  Picture quality is equal, and the ICT will not be implemented until at least 2010 (maybe even 2012).  By that time, you will be able to pick up an HDMI HD-DVD player for 50 bucks at Wal-Mart.

I for one can't wait for the add-on.  Normal DVDs just don't cut it on a 62 inch 16:9 Mitsubishi.

dude9478

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

I actually notice a huge difference between hdmi and component on my sony. Hdmi is much brighter and adds alot more detail. I won't get it if it didn't come with hdmi.

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »

THIS IS JUST A PISSING CONTEST NOW. H.264 BIG WOOP! CURRENT HD DVDS AND BDROM MOVIES HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER AND ARE USING MPEG2 JUST TO FILL THE ENTIRE DISC WITH THE MOVIE, UNLESS THEY ARE USING H.264 TO ACTUALLY >COMPRESS< THE MOVIE THEN THERE IS NO POINT. NOBODY WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE EXCEPT THAT GUY THAT SPENDS $2000 ON EQUIPMENT TO DO A SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON. DON'T FEEL JADED BECAUSE YOUR MAX IS SVGA, ITS GREAT! UNTIL THE IMAGE ON SCREEN IS ACTUALLY 3D WITH DEPTH PERCEPTION OR SOME SORT OF HOLOGRAM THEN THERE IS LITTLE INNOVATION LEFT WITH PICTURE QUALITY.

this message is officially not in all caps, and plus: I was shouting.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

1rst post

Can we ban people who do this crap? This isn't some posting contest where the first poster gets a cookie.

THIS IS JUST A PISSING CONTEST NOW. H.264 BIG WOOP! CURRENT HD DVDS AND BDROM MOVIES HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER AND ARE USING MPEG2 JUST TO FILL THE ENTIRE DISC WITH THE MOVIE, UNLESS THEY ARE USING H.264 TO ACTUALLY >COMPRESS< THE MOVIE THEN THERE IS NO POINT. NOBODY WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE EXCEPT THAT GUY THAT SPENDS $2000 ON EQUIPMENT TO DO A SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON. DON'T FEEL JADED BECAUSE YOUR MAX IS SVGA, ITS GREAT! UNTIL THE IMAGE ON SCREEN IS ACTUALLY 3D WITH DEPTH PERCEPTION OR SOME SORT OF HOLOGRAM THEN THERE IS LITTLE INNOVATION LEFT WITH PICTURE QUALITY.

Extremely well said. Even if it was a little loud. It's all hype right now.

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(ereet1 @ Jul 12 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

the new 360's have hdmi according to those spy pics. i guess we'll be watching svga res max on our old models

maybe MS will let people with the warrenty send their xbox in, and get it updated with the new HDMI port, if it actually releases, I like ATI, i dont like their drivers,but for a console, its entirely different.  

NOTE: i dont care if it has hdmi or not, because im probably not going to buy this external hd-dvd drive, unless we can hack it in the first month! laugh.gif Otherwise my tv dont have hdmi, and plus, i think component is amazing!

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lord Serebi @ Jul 12 2006, 01:37 PM) View Post

this message is officially not in all caps, and plus: I was shouting.
Actually, do you really think the people behind HD really care about people who DON'T spend $2000+ on their equipment? To be honest, it's not for the common folk anyway, it's for those ppl witch HUGE screens that can notice the strange artifacts in pictures.

dude9478.... I'm not surprised. You have a sony, and they'll manipulate anything to get you to spend more money.  dry.gif

Was anyone really surprised MS went with the company that provides the Video Chip for their console?

cmirza

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

I could really care less about HD-DVD. It 'might' be worth it for the few people out there with 1080p displays, but for the rest of us, a well mastered DVD is just fine. But give me DivX/XviD support on the 360 and you'll see me do cartwheels.

downlowfunk

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(dude9478 @ Jul 12 2006, 08:11 PM) View Post

I guess it could be sony. I was by far the best set that I could find.

They do have the best stretch feature instead of that lame zoom feature of other tv sets, from what ive seen.  Of course I was doing comparisons 2 years ago im sure alot has changed.

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

There will never be a 360 with an HDMI port and that's a fact. The pic that wa sposted has no validity to it so i don't understand why so many people got hyped. Anyone can photoshop an image and say what they like. MS is not a suicide company and will never do something so foolish.

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(ereet1 @ Jul 12 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

The 360 outputs 1080i over component. Current HD-DVDs are 1080i. Technically 1080p can be output over component there just aren't many TV's that accept it as input. The bigger reason that HDMI is such a concern is because of HDCP but it's unlikely to be turned on for a number of years still.

soul2soul

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

blink.gif Most HD-DVD are not using mpeg2 to fill up the discs! But VC1...

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

This news post seems marketing hype for ATI to me, me wants to see the price...
Pages: [1] 2