xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Mpeg2 Streamed From Mce  (Read 120 times)

Casper1786

• Archived User
Dvd Mpeg2 Streamed From Mce
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »

for ease of users i would suggest using slysoft anyDVD and CloneDVD Mobile, this will do all the mumbo jumbo shit, convert to Divx, use high settings and use one of them transcoder bits, i havn't tested it yet, don't have MCE and i'm having trouble installing my Vista Beta yet

chrisc0le

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:50:00 AM »

I dont want quality loss, and divx does not encode at pal, ntsc resolution..
the 360 is capable of playing mpeg2 video files so why cant it play this dvd encode..

does anyone have specs of the mpeg formats it CAN play?.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 06:51:00 AM »

I think you are making it too complicated. Rip only the main movie with 1 audio track into 1 large VOB file using something like DVDShrink or Decrypter.  Rename this file to xxxxx.mpg.   You won't have menus or track stops but it should stream fine.

chrisc0le

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

i'll give it a try

ta

chrisc0le

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »

Yep as i suspected tried this weekend ran a small segment through dvd shrink and then renamed the VOB to MPG and suprise suprise.. it wont stream.. the spinning icon plays for a short time then freezes.. having to switch off the console and make a new connection to the mce pc.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »

I've had problems ripping the main movie and audio to a single VOB and renaming that VOB to MPG, missing sections of the movie, out of synch audio...

This is what I've started doing and I'm having good success. Rip the main movie and audio to a set of VOBs, then use VOB2MPG to merge them into one MPG file.

I am also expermenting with converting the MPG to WMV-HD, but it is a long and intensive process on WME9, and I'm not sure about the quality.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »

I'm using the latest version of VOB2MPG, and haven't experienced any issues with the MPG files. However, the playback quality is less than if I play the original DVD in the 360, I do not think that playback is being upsampled to 720p. When I pause playback, I can see interlacing lines. Right now my PC is crunching an MPEG -> WMV conversion, upscaling to 1280x720, deinterlacing, and some ffdshow processing. I'll post my findings.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »

Just wanted to report on my DVD to WMV conversion progress. Point of fact I am using The Incredibles as my source DVD because of the audio and video quality.

I use VOB2MPEG to convert a series of movie-only VOBs (created with DVDShrink, no compression) to a single MPG file. I have ffdshow, AC-3Filter, and PowerDVD installed, it seems I need codecs provided with these apps to load the MPEG2 file into WME. I am also configuring ffdshow according to the guide on HTPCNews. I am setting only the "Blur & Sharpen" settings, resize and deinterlace is being done in WME.

I am getting excellent quality if I choose Quality VBR and Windows Media 9 Advanced Profile for video and set the quality to 100. For audio, I also choose Quality VBR and Windows Media Lossless, VBR 100, 48K, 5.1 channel 24 bit.

It takes a HELLA long time to convert The Incredibles, well over 10 hours on my Athlon 64-FX57.

I'm not by any means sold on this DVD to WMV process, in fact I am beginning to think that a 1:1 backup with dual-layer media may be the best way to go in the end. All the same, I will post my complete findings and maybe a guide.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

I've given up on conversions, too complicated, too time intensive, and too many limitations. For less than $2 a disk I can do a perfect 1:1 backup to dual layer media in less than a half-hour and play it on any DVD player in the house, and be upscaled on the 360.

dark by design

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »

Hi guys, I have som HD movies, I'd like to test on the 360.

Installing XP MCE on my puter as we speak, and downloading these:
Star.Wars.Episode.III.Revenge.Of.The.Sith.2005.720p.HDTV.x264-THOR
Pirates.of.the.Caribbean.2003.AC3D.DL.720p.HDTV.x264-CDD

As far as I know, those babies are mpg2 when unpacked - will they stream with MCE?
Anyone know?

Thanks.

chrisc0le

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »

Sadly not. see the part that says x.264 that means they arent mpeg2 and in fact mpeg4 and not playable on the 360. or for the most part not occasionally you'll geta  file that plays the video ( badly ) or the audio.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

Just curious where everyone is getting these, are these personal rips or online purchases? If these are rips, how are you extracting the MPEG streams?

BTW I did a 1:1 backup of Finding Nemo (just in time too, the underside looked like it was used as a coaster for sippie cups), it looked SICK on the 360 and my 50" Sammy DLP. My TV can report the resolution and refresh rate of the signal it is recieving, and it verified 720P from the VGA port. I am going to do The Incredibles tonite, I want to the the scene with Dash running on the water.