xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dvd Playback - Whats Wrong With It?  (Read 211 times)

VinnySem

• Archived User
Dvd Playback - Whats Wrong With It?
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

On my Samsung 50" DLP, I see subtle pixelation and other artifacts, as if the movie were encoded at a low bitrate. The same movie looks stunning in my upscaling Samsung DVD Player.

I think the problem is not so much poor DVD playback, it's more the lack of upscaling to 720p or 1080i associated with the absence of a DVI or HDMI interface for video. I hope a DVI/HDMI HD pack is made soon.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

dvi or hdmi it dont matter the unit isnt a progressive scan upscaling dvd player.. all it does is play movies in 480p... so.. your s.o.l. gent's unless they do some sort of firmware update to the ati chipset then the decoder cant upscale it.

thats just what my understanding of it is. so hdmi or dvi it makes no difference  wont do any good

although dvi can offer a better signal  and hdmi isnt any better than dvi it just allows audio and video in one cable, and frankly ive switched from composite to dvi on my cable box which i have set to 1080i all the time and i see no difference in quality.

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(VinnySem @ Mar 4 2006, 04:06 PM) View Post

On my Samsung 50" DLP, I see subtle pixelation and other artifacts, as if the movie were encoded at a low bitrate. The same movie looks stunning in my upscaling Samsung DVD Player.

I think the problem is not so much poor DVD playback, it's more the lack of upscaling to 720p or 1080i associated with the absence of a DVI or HDMI interface for video. I hope a DVI/HDMI HD pack is made soon.

Of course your upscaling DVD player will have a better image because the Xbox doesn't upscal the image it only displays in 480p

MrBones

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(LESTAT @ Mar 4 2006, 11:24 PM) View Post

and frankly ive switched from composite to dvi on my cable box which i have set to 1080i all the time and i see no difference in quality.

I hope you mean component.  If you switched from composite to DVI and see no difference then any of your opinions on quality hold absolutely no weight.

SkaterFreak829

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »

The qualitys good on my tv but I have never got the 360 to play the entire movie..It freezes during every movie even original disks.  Is this a faulty 360 or just a problem people have?

kirkunit

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

I had noticable frameskipping in dvd playback, but it had to do with using PAL-60 instead of PAL-50... DOA4 only works on PAL-60, though, so I had to switch back and forth when viewing dvd's... which quickly lead to reinstating the original xbox+xbmc for dvd playback.
Not sure if the PAL60vs50 thing is a thing of the display (standard def via RGB Scart) or the 360 output itself though... any ideas?

kirkunit

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »

Aargh, that pal60/50 seemed to be only coincidental. It's just a little less on p50, but still, video freezes a few frames every 5 seconds or so, making any dvd so far unwatchable. Crappy stuff indeed. I'm really glad I still have the old xbox for dvd's.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

HDMI/DVI does matter, because from what I've read the DVD Forum has required that any upscaling DVD-Video content must be broadcast over an interface that supports HDCP, which component video does not. Without a DVI or HDMI interface, the 360 cannot upscale DVD-Video.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »

i'm sure the hd-dvd addon will also be able to play regular dvds so maybe your upscaling will happen then...?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »

The Xbox 360 dvd player plays about as well as the $40 Apex POS DVD player my brother has...

You want to know what's wrong with it? Here are things I've noticed on mine and my friend's 360s:

-Horrid black levels, dark colors come out grey and grainy, in some cases dark grays come out in true back while the areas that should be black come out in a dark grey making the image look like bright image that's been inverted.

-Artifacting, EVERYWHERE the only place I've seen more artifacting was on the discovery channel when they were covering some expedition in egypt. If you don't know what this is: basically little squares that pop up here and there off color or garbled.

-Stuttering between layer changes. This is the mark of a truly crappy DVD player, with the caching abilities and drive speeds we have today this shouldn't be a problem for even cheap DVD players, yet the 360 still does it. Basically the video stream isn't cached far enough so when the movie moves from layer 1 to layer 2 of the disc the video physically pauses for a split second before continuing. This was a very big problem in older DVD players, specifically the cheaper ones where they didn't cache much of the video. Because of this most DVD makers would break the movie during a scene change, so all you'd see was a slightly lengthened black screen between scenes. However not all movies have a convenient fade to black directly at the center of the film making this very noticeable when viewed. There is NO excuse for this as the 360 has more then enough space to cache far enough ahead to prevent this.

-Audio clipping when changing between scenes, or modes. The 360 has a really big problem with digital audio when the signal goes flat. Most GOOD AV devices have an inaudible "heartbeat" that keeps the digital signal alive so the digital decoders (DTS/DD/etc.) can keep connected to it instead of re-initializing every time the audio goes silent temporarily. The 360 doesn't include this so on receivers like mine, that are setup to automatically detect the digital encoding type and decode it, whenever the audio goes silent, even for a fraction of a second, the receiver is triggered to re-detect and re-initialize, making adding about a half second break in the audio after a split second of silence. This is particularly annoying during scenes where the film goes silent just before a big explosion, the audio is still initializing when it finally hits and then cuts in mid-way through the explosion sound. Not only does this totally rip you out of the movie experience but it wreaks havoc on your speakers, and your ears.

-No signature determining full or widescreen. I run a DLP front projector, it can work in either 4:3 or 16:9. Most GOOD video devices that can produce both will output a signature in their signal that will alert displays to show the signal in the appropriate aspect ratio if it's not apparent (such as in SD and ED signals). Much like the Xbox 1 the Xbox 360 is completely devoid of this signature, meaning my projector has to be manually adjusted to the appropriate aspect ratio whenever I watch a DVD. Hell My PS2 even has this signal built in. If I pop in a Full Screen DVD it will automatically adjust to 4:3, if I pop in a widescreen DVD it will automatically adjust to 16:9... not so with the 360.

-Screen Tearing, not as apparent as the other problems but still problematic During fast motion sequences, particularly in films that are interlaced and the 360 is displaying in progressive there will be screen tearing, this is due to misuse of absence of vsync in the 360s DVD player. Screen Tearing problems on the 360 are apparent and re-predicable and never occur on my Xbox 1 running XBMC or my PS2 (which is quite possibly one of the worst DVD players on the planet).

-Finally No upscaling support. This one just bothers me, there is no good reason the 360 shouldn't do this, the hardware is more then adequate, not to mention just about every new DVD player worth it's weight features up-scaling support. Heck I was at Best Buy over the weekend and they had a rack of 8 or 10 DVD players, ALL of which featured upscaling and NONE of which were over $120 (some as low as $70). If your $300-$400 self proclaimed "king of the living room" can't compete with a $70 cheapo DVD player then that is just SAD... Probably worse then it not supporting upscaling is that it forces those with VGA adapters to watch their movies in 640x480... FOR SHAME!

I could keep going with it's problems... but most past this I'd consider nit-picking... The bottom line is, you could buy a better DVD player for under $100 at Walmart, and if MS is serious about making the 360 a media hub they have a lot of work left to do. At this point you'd be better off just keeping whatever other DVD player you have as you'd be hard pressed to find one worse then the 360.

loserkid182

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

I've noticed that it jumps on mine when subtitles are on.

will check same dvd's to see if they do it when subs are off.

sometimes its so bad that I watch another disc instead (Zoolander PAL does it)

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

twistedsymphony - could not agree more with each of your points.

My modded Xbox1 with XBMC is more "king of the living room" than the 360, at this point.

I hope that with a software upgrade the DVD movie playback will be significantly improved. The 360 has more than enough horsepower for these features, I can't imagine it would be anything more than a software update.

jeisner

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

OK for the OP, the xbox360 plays progressive for NTSC movies non-progressive for PAL, somewhat like my DVD player (non upscaling Pioneer).. However on my 32" LCD most movies look fine from my non-upscaling Pioneer DVD player... Movies on the 360 look crap as they have bad blocking visible on my TV...

MaxEgg

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

my x360 plays dvd's back but after a few seconds the audio ends up being about 1 second off from what it should be (behind 1 second).
when i play games, its perfectly fine.  when i play dvd's from my other dvd player, they are fine.

I dont get it, but for a media hub (my eye), it shouldn't do this.

Sanitarium

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

I'm sure the reason the upscaling was left out is so they could mark that as a selling point for the HD-DVD drive that'll cost like $250.  What a bunch of assholes.
Pages: [1] 2