xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ethernet Adapter Wga54g + Switch?!  (Read 81 times)

boxrocker

• Archived User
Ethernet Adapter Wga54g + Switch?!
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

I know that a normal wireless bridge will work just fine in a switch (this is what I do in the home office) and will share the connection through the switch.

BUT, this is a game adapter...  Should have bought a regular wirelss bridge.  :/

Lizard King

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

Yes, you need an ethernet switch. I hooked this up over a freind's house (not with a 360, but with a Xbox and a PS2). Basically, if I am understanding you correctly, you want to know if you can use an ethernet switch with the WPA54G Gaming adapter because the adapter only supports one console.

Yes, you can. A switch is exactly what you need to do this. The WPA54G is a bridge. It connects to a router and access point and behaves as a "wireless wire".

Get everything setup using the WPA54G attached to the Xbox and using the Xbox Network setup in the dashboard, test to see if it works, then shut down the Xbox, connect the consoles to the switch and the switch to the WPA54G and fire everything up.

You wouldn't want to connect to Live at the same time on both, but the beauty of this setup is it allows you to play System link without communicating over wireless, it uses the wired portion of the network for system LinK Play.

ramii

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(RoccoPagano @ Feb 20 2006, 12:09 PM) View Post

Yes! It's exactly what I wanna do! I connect an ethernet switch to the game adapter, then I connect the XBOX (with XBMC) and it works ... than I shut it down and connect the XBOX360 and it doesn't work. So I reset the game adapter and the switch and try again on the 360. Now it works with the 360... so I connect again the XBOX and doesnt' work..

If I turn off the adapter, the first console trying to connect works... the second one not!

so maybe it doesn't work with both consoles?

I don't need the Live on the old xbox because I use it just with the  XBMC, but I don't want everytime to turn it off to do this...

thank you for the reply!!bye

The only adapter you need is the Linksys WET54GS5. It is a wireless bridge with a 5 port switch installed. I use it for my xbox, 360, tv, & other components that need ethernet. It works great  & you do not have to keep resetting the thing after turning off one one console. Hell, you can be on live on both machines at the same time!!!