xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stream HD content Wireless Without Hickups on Xbox 360  (Read 47 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Stream HD content Wireless Without Hickups on Xbox 360
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

Stream HD content Wireless Without Hickups on Xbox 360-- Posted by XanTium on February 11 21:25 EST
From jakeludington.com:

There's some confusion around the appropriate steps to take in adding an Xbox 360 to a home network with optimal results. In an ideal universe, connecting an Xbox 360 with a wired connection is the best course of action. Wired connections generally guarantee close to 100Mbps per machine across a local area network. Wireless networking is significantly less reliable, with things like cordless phones and microwave ovens operating on the same frequency as the 802.11b and 802.11g standards.

802.11a is the standard Microsoft is recommending, but it's not necessary. My own home network is segmented with an Xbox 360 on one 802.11g access point and all other wireless devices are on a second 802.11g access point. My wired Media Center successfully streams the 1080p HD content available from Microsoft's WMV HD Showcase without any hiccups.

If you currently live in an 802.11b wireless network world, it's definitely time to upgrade. 802.11b results in lousy streaming of audio using Windows Media Connect and most of the existing hardware won't support the WPA security standard you should be using to protect your network. If you live in a house like mine, with one portable machine stuck with onboard 802.11b, you definitely want to segment your 802.11b traffic from the Xbox 360 802.11g traffic to prevent a slowdown in gaming or streaming performance.

802.11g networks also benefit from network segmentation. Put the Xbox 360 on its own 802.11g access point and connect all other wireless devices to a second access point to keep network performance optimized. This is like making the Xbox 360 the lone car on the expressway while all your computers are stuck in traffic over on the highway.

Read the whole tutorial on: jakeludington.com

AngelBallz69

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

ok so its bad to connect it to an A??????    if not why not just get an A???

nj12nets

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

if i remeember right b has low data speed while a has a short range, g basically combines the positives with high speeds and longer ranges

Moleman

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

B has long range, G has high data, and A has both, plus less interference because it works on the 5Ghz frequency.

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »

802.11a is the standard MS is recommending, but it's not necessary

im sorry but you cant even buy let alone find consumer 802.11x devices that use 802.11a   what in the f#$% is M$ thinking.

not to mention, and again WTF is M$ thinking.. 'A' will instantly die once it starts attempting to go thru walls,

regular glass windows will degrade an 802.11a signal let alone multiple walls in a house.

jesus christ i mean you know how much more it costs just to get a pcmcia card for your laptop that is A capable..

that HAS to be a typo,, i mean it must be...

that had to of meant to say M$ recomending 802.11G

the whole tubro G mode for 108Mbps is also a big farce are will actually cause massive recieve sensativity loss on your wireless equipment..

i have never in my life been able to connnect at 108mbps on my wireless equipment. EVER!

it doesnt work

anyways....  it doesnt take much of a genious to figure out how to hook up your wireless netowrk to allow the best possible thruput.. not to mention that the full 54Mbps isnt needed...

anywho.. atleast there is a little tut out there to help people...

buzzard1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

I have been streaming HD movies to my xbox 360 for 2 months now and I would like to encourage people not to use this method. It is true that you can stream the wmv hd content to the 360 with wireless G but these movies are at a lower bitrate then the cool movie rips on the news groups from such places like alt.binaries.hdtv ect..  I bought and tried several MIMO and Pre N wireless routers and they really cant play the .TS movies with out puasing or stuttering.  The bit rate is much higher in these extensions, for example the gladiator is 20 gigs!  Now all is not lost here.  A wireless G connection is only gonna allow about a 15 - 25 mbit throughput depending how close the router is to the unit, I know they say wireless G does 54 but I have tested these out for weeks and the actual throughput is nto what they claim.  The xbox360 does not buffer much of the video so if there is any radio interferance it will cuase a puase or stutter.  The crappy MS wireless adapter they sell for $100 sucks balls.  I own one and it will only do standard A,G, and B.  There are how ever wireless adapters that will work and use the MIMO routers boost, Linksys makes one and im waiting for netgear to release one.  Netgears will be alot better for they have jumped to a 240 mbit connection claim,  this really comes to a full 100 mbnit connection in real throughput which should be enough no matter where you place your 360 in your house / apartment.  The linksys adapter with speedbooster can still give you stuttering depending on how far and how many obsticles are in your way.  

There is some other info Id like to share about .TS viewing on the xbox 360.  There is a program called HDTVPUMP you cna use to stream .TS files to your xbox 360 but this is not my method of choice.  My spare windows media center pc that I made is to weak to play HD movies but I didnt let that stop me.  My media center pc is a "video juke box", I have 30 movies in HD on this machine and all I gotta do is just pick them from a list on my tv and watcvh them play, I dont even have to touch the media center pc for anything.  The .TS files are converted to .DVR-MS files which play flawless on the the 360, and is easly converted over in a matter of a few minutes with a tool called TS CONVERTER 1.1 EXE which can be found here http://www.dvbportal.de/index.html.  You will also see hdtv pump which you should also install.  Im sure some one will disagree with me but you need 30 mbits of throughput to stream these videos correctly and with out hipcups.  Good luck

jonny_eh

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(LESTAT @ Feb 12 2006, 09:12 AM) *

im sorry but you cant even buy let alone find consumer 802.11x devices that use 802.11a   what in the f#$% is M$ thinking.

Just get the Linksys A+G router, designed for exactly this situation:

It's even mentioned in M$'s tutorial downloadable on the 360.

Of course, the 360 wireless adapter supports a (as well as b and g). You don't need an a pcmcia card to connect your laptop, a simple g one will do (and recommended, to not interfere with the 360).

Now I'm not sure if this can stream mpeg2 HD streams (from ts files). I'd recommend a hardwire connection for that.