xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Will Xbox 360 Upconvert Dvd Playback?  (Read 197 times)

jaydon34

• Archived User
Will Xbox 360 Upconvert Dvd Playback?
« on: February 05, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

Will the xbox 360 upconvert dvds to hd or should I just invest in a upconversion dvd player for my hdtv. If it doesnt can anyone recommend a good player that supports divx or a network player so I can stream my movies over from the pc.

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

it does not upconvert it just outputs 480p and the quality is pretrty bad on a hdtv, I use my xbox with XBMC for my upscalling dvd player (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

maybe when they release the hd dvd addon you may get upconverting dvd playback.

the fact is the dvd forum requires HDMI to be used for dvd upconverting. Witch is also required for playback of HD DVDs and Blu Ray discs in any res higher than 480p. so basically the 360 is gonna need some sort of HDMI outputr if the hd dvd player is gonna be in HD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »

is that why everyone hates the 360, the playback is bad quality?whats so bad about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (has only had a 2002 sony dvd player to compare it to)

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »

I have heard stories of artifacting and to be honest i have noticed any myself but it really cranks the brightness up so the image is really washed out thats my main beef with the dvd player.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

It is bad on a HDTV compared to the most basic DVD players that can upscale to 1080i or 720p. On my 1080p TV the 360 is put to shame by my $50 1080i/720p DVD player over DVI. If I was using a standard TV the 360 would be more than I need.

So I guess what I am saying is that the 360 does not have bad DVD playback it just is not enough for some people like myself.

jaydon34

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(thepissedoffman @ Feb 5 2006, 11:05 PM) *

It is bad on a HDTV compared to the most basic DVD players that can upscale to 1080i or 720p. On my 1080p TV the 360 is put to shame by my $50 1080i/720p DVD player over DVI. If I was using a standard TV the 360 would be more than I need.

So I guess what I am saying is that the 360 does not have bad DVD playback it just is not enough for some people like myself.

Hey whats the name and make of that dvd player because I guess Im gonna have to get one. And did it come with the hdmi cables.

frogsmasha

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

Sure would be nice to have a simple dvd player that upconverts to 720/1080, and can stream anything thrown at it.

Too bad anything like this costs $300 +
If I saw one for $150 I would so buy it yesterday!

lol

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

^ There is one.  Its called an xbox.

dracus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

The Xbox with XBMC does do a decent job upconverting. I just wish it had a good interface for actually playing the DVD's.

If you're looking for a good upconverting dvd I recommend the oppo. It plays dvd, divx 3,4, 5 and pro as well as mp3, jpgs and whatever. Its 200 bucks though.

So honestly, keeping an xbox around for XBMC isn't a bad deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Now if only there was an HDMI output for the xbox 1.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(jaydon34 @ Feb 5 2006, 11:35 PM) *

Hey whats the name and make of that dvd player because I guess Im gonna have to get one. And did it come with the hdmi cables.

I bought the Samsung DVD-HD841. It is a discontinued model so I found a place online that was a Samsung authorized dealer and bought it refurbed from them. At the time I bought it the price was $50. When I got it the thing looked brand new and came with everything that would have came with it if I had bought it brand new (even the plastic film that protects the display).

It does not have a HDMI port. It only has a DVI port but since they are essentially the same thing you can easily get a DVI->HDMI adaptor or DVI->HDMI cable if you need to. And you have to use the DVI port with this model to output anything better than 480p (720p/1080i).

This DVD player can  also play Super Audio media and DVD audio media :-) LetÂ’s see XBMC do that.

To bad there is nothing on the formats I want to hear :-(

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

It appears that the 360 will upconvert dvd but not in the way you'd like it to. If you rip the dvd (movie only - no features) to your pc's hdd and rename it MPG you'll be able to stream it through media center if youve got it. It should play the file at whatever your dash resolution is set as. You lose FF and RWD but can at least regain track skips by running the file through VOB2MPG. If you're looking to upconvert straight off a disc you'd be better off sticking with a conventional player. I'm using a Zenith DVB318 with older firmware which allows upconversion over component video outs.

This post has been edited by zombie4rave: Feb 6 2006, 09:29 PM

frogsmasha

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Feb 6 2006, 05:42 AM) *

^ There is one.  Its called an xbox.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when I say stream anything I mean anything.

So its not going to happen with .ts files (its not 100% smooth with XBMC)
I want a solution for my HDTV revolution!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »

How do you get XBMC to upconvert?  What settings and such?  I thought I hard it figured out, but I just got a really glitched up signal.  I heard maybe XBMP might work instead?

dracus

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

There is an option under appeaance I beleive or vidoes that says. "upscale vidoes to matach gui resolutions" so you simply need to have your desktop set tp 1080i or 720p. Then all vids will be upscaled to match.

adamscybot

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Well im thinking of using XBMC to upconvert my precious DVD's too.

However, as far as I understand - composite/scart can not support HD signals.

So do I have to purchase an xbox 1 component lead?

Adam