xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Cant Get Video From My Computer Onto My Xbox  (Read 121 times)

oswald

• Archived User
I Cant Get Video From My Computer Onto My Xbox
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »

my first guess is because you're using Windows Media Connect, which allows you to stream pictures and music to your Xbox360 but not video.  For video, you need to be running the Windows Media Center operating system, my guess is you're running Windows XP.

If my first guess is wrong, and you are using Windows Media Center Edition, then my second guess is you're trying to stream Divx or other non-supported files.

Hope this helps.

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »

i am running mce2005, and im just trying to transfer simple movie files with avi extentions, i have no idea how i would go about setting this up, i remember xbox giving me some sort of serial number to enter in at my computer but i never got any screen on my computer in order to enter that number in.

i have windows media connect on my computer now is this why i cant put video onto my xbox? should i remove that program do i need windows media connect AND windows media eidtion 2005 on my computer?

yep, both being there are fine.

your problem is the same problem everyone currently faces.  the xbox360 cannot stream .avi files.  there is no codec support for it.

create

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(glennreno @ Jan 19 2006, 05:16 AM) View Post

okay, im not able to stream avi files from media center to 360, what files am i able to stream, and are there any way i can view avi files from my pc to my 36?

One

What type of files can I play/stream?
With a Windows Media center PC you will be able to stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, Picture files in jpg, gif, bmp, png, and tiff formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

Two

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »

"Streaming through Windows Media Connect" and "Streaming from a Windows Media Center PC" are two different things.

Windows Media connect only streams music and pictures... regardless of what OS you're using.

The Xbox Dashboard has a program called "Media Center Extender" built into it. This is where you need to go to truly stream from your Windows MCE PC.  This is also where you'll be prompted for the serial #.

MS could very easily add more codecs but I doubt they ever will. Media Center streaming goes far beyond just Xbox 360 functionality. The standards they set for what can and can't be streamed haven't changed much over the past few years, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

dawgbone

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

I hate to sound so noob...but is DVD streaming not supported???

It'd be really nice to watch all of my DVD's by streaming directly from my backups that I have stored on an external drive....I could actually keep the original DVD media as "backups" and never use them or scratch them....

And one more...being that High Def video in it's raw form is a .m2t exstension which is mpeg2...does the 360 by chance support this? I have been able to stream HD .wmv, and was quite amazed considering it was over the air/wireless.....

sorry..I'm a bit behind...and the manual for this thing is rather vague...I've had this thing for a month now...and just now powering it on and tinkering...coming from the first gen...I'm not too floored by this machine...yet...but I do like where they are going with it....