xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Is The Best.....  (Read 122 times)

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

I use Canopus ProCoder.  Don't need to make DVDs into one .vob first.

blue bandicoot

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

autoGK

create

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

I fired up autoGK and from what I can tell that only outputs in .avi. I'm sure I can find a program to convert .avi to .mpg/.wmv but the original poster is looking for a .vob to .mpg outright converting program. I'm not an expert at using video editing programs so maybe I missed something.

Maybe I can just change the file extension...will have to test tonight.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:20:00 AM »

How the hell do I rip a DVD into a single file? I have DVD Shrink and can't seem to find the option.

Go to edit, preferences, output files. Uncheck the option to split VOB files into 1GB chunks.

create

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »

Okay. I did some testing with autoGK and it is not a solution to the initial question. The main reason (and it should have been apparent to me from the start) is that it encodes .vob into .avi using DivX or Xvid encoding. We know Media Center Extender will not stream .avi files or files encoded in DivX/Xvid. Changing file extensions does not work as well, because of the encode. That said, autoGK is something I had always heard about but did not ever have a reason to really delve into. Now because of this thread, that has changed and I am grateful to have learned something new.

xzenor: Can you list the ways/methods you have been using/trying?

create

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(xzenor @ Jan 25 2006, 03:05 AM) View Post

Well I've experimented with a couple of different things. I tried the Windows Media Encoder....Failed. Very choppy play back, looks good, but its like its skipping. Sounds good too. I also tried Advanced WMV Workshop.....Failed. Never finished a movie conversion. When you view the mini window....its upsidedown. Sorry refuse to bother with that one. But what works freaking great is DVD Shrink. Set it up to convert movie into one .VOB file and all you have to do is change the .VOB to .MPG. It looks amazing, and 5.1 is utilized. I've backed up all my favorite movies to my PC and stream them to my 360. I recommend DVD Shrink, no question about it. Now I just need to figure out how to compress them. Each movie is like 4gigs.

XzeneR

Agreed about DVD Shrink and a single .vob, then changing it to .mpg; works flawlessly you are right. When I read that method in another thread I was suspicious and when it worked I chuckled just because something like that you think wouldn't work for various reasons. Though for compression I'm still on the lookout for a good program that will convert to .wmv (I haven't tried any yet honestly). I still have some testing to do when I get some time. Also if you don't have a single .vob file I found a simple program that will merge them. The program is called vobmerge and can be found here. I tried other programs that I found from Google searching or from Doom9.net and the interfaces were confusing or they did too many things. This program has one purpose...to merge multiple vobs into one large vob and it does it well. This program is great if only because it does what it is supposed to.

hardcandy

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »

ratdvd

I'm going to try the above this weeknd, supposedly plays well in WMP and has compression. Seems to work well when burned to a dvd blank and the developer says it will work with software players just fine. Keeps all the dvd attributes intact.

xzenor

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

I think I finally found the answer!! Ashampoo Movie Shrink, it converts .VOB, .AVI.....you name it. I'm converting a 5gig movie into a 700.mpg file. This is finally the answer I've been searching for. You can get a free trial here... http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-2 The full version is obtainable...if you know what I mean  wink.gif I'll keep you all posted and give you a review of the movie after its complete.

XzeneR

patricksull

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

for what it's worth, a great resource for this type of question is videohelp.com

xzenor

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

Well after 8 hours of converting the movie is complete......and LAGS!! Oh well, I think my computer is just to out dated. Guess I'll just have to buy a bigger HDD!!!

XzeneR

Snap Count

• Archived User
What Is The Best.....
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(xzenor @ Jan 29 2006, 10:58 AM) View Post

Well after 8 hours of converting the movie is complete......and LAGS!! Oh well, I think my computer is just to out dated. Guess I'll just have to buy a bigger HDD!!!

XzeneR

Actually if you check EBay you can get some external 200-300GB HDD fairly cheap.  I don't know exactly how well this would work but you should be able to get about say 15 movies/100GB.  Maybe, maybe not???