xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stream DivX movies to your Xbox 360 using MediaCenter  (Read 668 times)

neejoh

• Archived User
Stream DivX movies to your Xbox 360 using MediaCenter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

I had a problem to connect to the video. The anwser for me was to go to the user directory and add administrator rights to mcx1. This way i did solve my problem

kcchesnut

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »

scooby_dooby, i had to uninstall ffdshow because it was not working with my Media Encoder setup.
no, i don't know of anyway to specify which codec for Media Encoder to use.

so when you run the .asx file, it stays at a black screen for how long?
it usually buffers for 10 seconds or so before starting.
else you can get a Video Error if you click the .asx before Media Encoder gets started,
then you just click the .asx file again and it should work.

have you tried it with a short video to see if it stays at a black screen for the duration of the video?
also, have you tried different video files ... i have a high resolution one that will not work.
it either black screens or freezes on a frame.

also, try running the .asx file on your MCE machine with Media Player (outside of MCE),
and that'll let you know if the .asx file is setup correct.

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

for saving to file while streaming :
add this code after the line with 8080
IWMEncFile wmeFile = Encoder.File;
string wmvFilePath = filePath + ".wmv";
if(File.Exists(wmvFilePath) == false)
{
wmeFile.LocalFileName = wmvFilePath;
}
//NOTE i have not tested this with large files

I'm coding challenged and do not have the ability to recompile the source, or are you saying I can just add that to the .asx file.  my other question is, if I select multiple videos in list mode, and save to disk, will it create one giant .wmv file or several, one for each movie?

anyway, keep up the good work.

If you need another mirror for your site due to the increase in traffic, let me know and I can mirror it at anotheruselesswebsite.com

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

oswald, i'll have a new release this weekend that adds that code in.
if you select a list of files, then it will encode them all to one file.

my current thinking is to keep this targeted towards streaming,
and people can use Videora if they want to do alot of encoding.

Sounds great to me, I look forward to it.

I personally think Videora is a pile of garbage.   It only converts to MPEG2, not WMV, so it increases file size without any benefit and with the testing I've done, the "Use the resolution of the input file" feature does not work in Videora and messes up the aspect ratio on many of my videos.

If your app can convert and stream, then I'm a very happy happy person.  Its actually very efficient that way, as it will convert only videos that you watch.  

thanks once again!

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

I've been working on this for a while, and I just want to say thanks for hooking everybody up with a way to play divx.  I don't have it working 100% so I may have questions in the future, but for now, thanks.

LexCorp

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »

I'm having a problem with streaming. I've followed all the steps and have everything working locally (run media center, start the stream in More Programs, and watching the stream through the My Videos asx file).  However when I run it on my 360 nothing happens.  When I finish selecting the file to stream the progress bar pops up and stays at 0%.  I've also tried starting the stream manually and then just watching the stream through the .asx file on the 360, but it just pulls up the turning waiting signal and hangs there.. I thought it was a permissions issue so I just gave mcx1 Administrative privaledges, but it still doesn't work.   Anyone have any suggestions?

kcchesnut

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

LexCorp, since its working locally, then it shouldn't be a codec issue.
That pretty much leaves a permission problem.

On the 360, I would try to play a supported .wmv file through 'My Videos' first.
If it plays, then you know that the file can be accessed by the Extender profile.
Then i would try to stream that same file (even though its not necessary), to test the Media Encoder setup.
If it plays, then i would compare the .wmv permissions to the DivX file permissions.

oh yeah, the progress bar will stay at 0% for DivX/XviD files.
there will be a new release this weekend to fix that

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(LexCorp @ Jan 19 2006, 01:53 AM) View Post

I'm having a problem with streaming. I've followed all the steps and have everything working locally (run media center, start the stream in More Programs, and watching the stream through the My Videos asx file).  However when I run it on my 360 nothing happens.  When I finish selecting the file to stream the progress bar pops up and stays at 0%.  I've also tried starting the stream manually and then just watching the stream through the .asx file on the 360, but it just pulls up the turning waiting signal and hangs there.. I thought it was a permissions issue so I just gave mcx1 Administrative privaledges, but it still doesn't work.   Anyone have any suggestions?

make sure to wait a bit, it can take a good 10-15 seconds to pick up the stream, also maybe check your logs for the permission error?

LexCorp

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(kcchesnut @ Jan 18 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

LexCorp, since its working locally, then it shouldn't be a codec issue.
That pretty much leaves a permission problem.

On the 360, I would try to play a supported .wmv file through 'My Videos' first.
If it plays, then you know that the file can be accessed by the Extender profile.
Then i would try to stream that same file (even though its not necessary), to test the Media Encoder setup.
If it plays, then i would compare the .wmv permissions to the DivX file permissions.

oh yeah, the progress bar will stay at 0% for DivX/XviD files.
there will be a new release this weekend to fix that

Thanks for the replies.  I've tried playing a mpg file converted with videora and it works fine.  But i tried a wmv file and the 360 just hangs trying to play it.. The permissions are identical.  I've also checked the event viewer and the mcedivx360.txt and there is no mention of permissions.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(kcchesnut @ Jan 17 2006, 05:05 PM) View Post

hmm ... i don't know much about VOBs. think i've seen that they can be played without any encoding (as you said)? as far as a playlist, the app would be similar, but it would generate a .asx file that points to files on the file system, instead of doing any streaming. then when you run that .asx file it would play each file in turn.

the .asx file spec is in the Windows Media Player 10 SDK, under metafile section.

<ASX version = "3.0">
    <ENTRY>
         <REF HREF = "C:\Documents and Settings\KC\My Documents\My Videos\mpg\powerpuff girls justice league comm.mpeg" />
    </ENTRY>
    <ENTRY>
        <REF HREF = "C:\Documents and Settings\KC\My Documents\My Videos\mpg\Episode 216 - Broodwich.mpg" />
    </ENTRY>
</ASX>

so it would play the first file, and then move on to the 2nd. tested it on my 360 and it worked

So I tried this last night but it didn't work.  I got an error that it cannot play back the video.  One thing that I did notice is that the VOB files do not show up when exploring folders through the extender.  Does that mean they are not supported?  I thought kc said that it worked.  Any ideas?

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll read around and do mroe testing tonight.  I'm just looking for the easiest way to do this with the least amount of converting.  I've yet to perfect your streaming process.

I think we should make a sticky on this subject.  list common file types and what steps may be necessary to get them to play on the 360...  I would do it but I don't think I know enough about it.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »

I wanted to report back on what I tried with my VOB files.  I ripped a movie and it put it in to 6 VOB files, which I renamed to .mpg.  Then I went to play them on my 360 mc extender and the first one, and 6th one played, but 2-5 DID NOT PLAY.  It gave me the error about video format.  Not real sure why since they were all ripped at the same time, but renaming is not going to work with VOB files.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »

I will have to check tonight and get back to you.

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »

kcchesnut

just installed it, and from all indications, it's working great.  tested the stream and archive and just archive modes and they work as expected.  progress bar works, can't tell if it's absolutely accurate, but it gets to 100% and then its done, so it works for me.   took me a second to find the conifg tool, maybe install a shortcut for the end user in the installer... on some configs the folder will be labelled Shared Documents and not Documents as indicated in the readme.

stellar work.

incidentally, I'm using ffdshow on my box without issue.  maybe a different build.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

ok, further information on the VOB file issue.  I rip a dvd I have and it created somethign like 6 vob files.  I play them and they all play on the pc.  Then I rename them to mpg, and some of them do not play.  I get audio but not video.

Just wanted to make sure I got back to you guys on that.  I'll keep playing with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4