xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Recording Tv Through To Pc, Playing Through 360  (Read 92 times)

tommiwan

• Archived User
Recording Tv Through To Pc, Playing Through 360
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

So I have Windows Media Center 2005, my 360, and I have video streaming on to the 360.  It's pretty sweet.  I want to use my tv tuner card to record tv on my pc and then stream that to my 360, but I run in to a problem.

I hooked my cable box up to the coax input on my ATI tv Wonder VE (I know it's old, but it works)  The picture comes up fine, but when telling it to record it wants to change the channel on the tv tuner card... well the tv tuner card needs to stay on channel 3 (input channel) and my cable box is what needs to change.  that's my problem.  how can I record programs to my tv when my pc can't change the channel on my cable box?

I know the answer is that this probably won't work, but I thought I would hear any options you guys have, and maybe see if anyone else has done this.  If I hooked the coax directly to the tuner card it wouldn't pick up all the channels that my cable box provides.  Has anyone else done this?

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »

If i'm understanding your problem correctly, there is no solution, since obviously your pc doesn't have access to the cable box. Sounds like you would need to record channel 3 and set your cable box to the right channel. Otherwise your stuck just recording the channels that the pc card can pick up.

If the cable box is only sending one channel out, then you could use a coaxial splitter and run one to your cable box and one to your tv, but this still limits you to only recording channels your tuner card can pick up.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

Your first paragraph is correct.  and I know that my pc can't control my cable box, but I was just hoping for someone who may have thought of something I didn't.  thanks for the reply.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

That is awesome... just the answer I was looknig for.  thanks

...going to look now

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »

Thanks for the link, I will check it out when I get hom ecause I can't get to ebay from work... I found this on Newegg, is this what you mean
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16880100853

If that is it, my computer will send a signal to that remote to change the channel on the cable box when a recording is getting ready to start?

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »

Thanks for the help, looks like I'll be purchasing one of these.  

This thread should be helpful for anyone else wanting to do this as well.