xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another User Or Application On The Windows Media Center-based Pc Has D  (Read 149 times)

Kernal69er

• Archived User

I had everything working, except the TV portion was extremely slow. I noticed that my LAN was set to 10Mbps, so I put a switch behind my router (I guess the router doesn't support 100) So now Xbox live works, both XP PC and MCE2005 PC work, LAN is 100Mbps.. Now I am getting thsi message when connecting to media center with 360
"another user or application on the windows media center-based PC has disconnected this device"
And nothing elese is running on the MCE2005 PC, it sits in my BSMT for thsi purpose only, no firelwaal, not even anti-virus yet (Juts set it up 2 weeks ago) So I thought maybe the 100Mbps setup was messed, so I resotred everything before (removed switch and everything back 10 10Mbps) Still doesn't work
another user or application on the windows media center-based PC has disconnected this device

Funny thing is Xbox live works, I can also stream pics or music from media center 2005 PC, just can't connect to MCE2005

Please help

vandergraff

• Archived User
Another User Or Application On The Windows Media Center-based Pc Has D
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

Did you ever find a fix for this. I get same error message. My set up is:

I have installed Media Center Extenders on both a Media Center PC and XBOX 360. This process includes registering the XBOX 360 with the Media Center PC (entering a serial number in the PC from the XBOX 360 display). I can register the XBOX. However when I start the Media Console on the XBOX 360 it says 'connecting' and then gives an error message saying 'Xbox 360 Error Message: Session Terminated Another user or application on the Windows Media Center-based PC has disconnected
this device.'

The XBOX 360 is connected (wired) to an Ethernet Port on a Belkin Pre-N router and the Media Center PC is connected wirelessly using a Pre-N PCI adapter.

UPnP is enabled on the Media Center PC and router. Zonealarm Firewall is configured per MS instructions for Media Center PC/XBOX 360 connection (turning it off completely makes no difference).

I should also note I have another Windows XP PC connected wirelessly to the router. I have Media Extender installed on this PC and it connects fine with the XBOX 360 and I can view photos etc.

I need the XBOX 360 Media Console to connect to the Media Center PC to stream video

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

Ive seen crazy problems with Zone Alarm before. Even though its disabled it could still be blocking. I stopped using it long ago. If you're sure you have no connection issues (like the wireless dropping out) try uninstalling ZA as a test.

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

A remote desktop connection is used with the user name (something like) mcx1.  Make sure that user is set up to use remote desktop.  Otherwise will a simple reboot resolve this?

dirtstyle

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

I had the same problem and it was zone alarm.  After I allowed everything it asked for it gave me that error disconn message also..  took me a few mins for my brain to work.... I looked in the zone alarm logs to see what was happening and there it was...   a place to allow what it said it was blocking.  Seems ZA doesn't tell you everything that is going on ;-)    success (for once:)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »

zone alarm is evil! but so is every other software firewall, imo.

This post has been edited by spinr34: Apr 21 2006, 08:31 PM

Hoowahman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

dont use firewall software, get a router.

timj010

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »

I have the same problem and I have a D-lin router no software firewall only hardware and every thing worked fine until today and now I'm getting the same error I din't change the setup or anything, it's just wierd  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Riao

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(timj010 @ May 8 2006, 06:48 AM) View Post

I have the same problem and I have a D-lin router no software firewall only hardware and every thing worked fine until today and now I'm getting the same error I din't change the setup or anything, it's just wierd  mad.gif

I would be willing to bet that that the fault here lies with the D-Link router.  I don't have a 360 or a Media Center edition of Windows, but I was using a DI-604 D-Link router before it crapped out on me.  And it was the same deal: I hade evrything set up in it For some servers I was running, torrent clients, XBC and KAI, etc, and everything worked fine for a time, but then something started getting blocked (my shoutcast server as i remember).  Checked the logs, and sure enough, the router was blocking it.  Changed the ports for that app and eventually got it working only to discover something else was now getting blocked. Fixed that to find that I couldn't use KAI anymore, etc, etc.  Then certain web sites were being blocked.  In the end I bought a new router (not a D-Link) and me and all my apps lived happily ever after smile.gif

j666*

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

ive had this problem b4  but wasnt a firewall problem  had it in the video folder  when certain  files were in-cluded in the shared folders  would make this  message  cum  up  i think  sum   system files was to balme cant remember

lamard1

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(j666* @ May 19 2006, 02:53 PM) View Post

ive had this problem b4  but wasnt a firewall problem  had it in the video folder  when certain  files were in-cluded in the shared folders  would make this  message  cum  up  i think  sum   system files was to balme cant remember

ok, I had the same thing it was driving me batty, I had old xbox and one day my My Pictures stopped worked, it was barf with this same message.  I didn't think I did anything different and it just barfed.   Videos/Music etc all worked still.... ok this means all the fast user switching,firewalls, etc are working...
I bought an xbox360 and same thing happened,  I was ok w/ the 2 year old, old xbox doing, but pissed the new one was doing it...  So, google gave me this hit and I started messing.

Short story is:  it was a corrupt file in the root of previously shared out \my pictures directory...  I tried to remove the my pictures from the "share" list to keep the xbox from finding them, but that didn't seem to work (?) so...
1. remember where you previously added folders that you were sharing content from... probably the My Pictures dir for the user you are logged in as, and the \shared  pictures directory.
2.  go to those dirs, and Move everythign out of them so they are empty  (start with just the contents in the root, I'll be it doesn't do a recursive enum, but if that doesn't work clear the whole directory.)
3. try xbox - it'll probably work.
4. move stuff back 1 by 1.

in my case it was a .tif file in the root dir that I had had for years, and it probably had a single byte get corrupt or something.

hope that helps, it really annoyed me!

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

WOW i posted this in December, i didn't know this was still going strong... LONG live the Kernal  biggrin.gif

Anyway, I got mine working back in december by downloading manually the rollup2 update. This was suppose to be installed via windows auto update but it wasn;t

I haven't used my media center in about a month, i tried today because i had soem friends over (who wanted to see it) and of course i am getting thsi message again. Go figure,, now I'm open for more help as I'm lost it use to work

mianus

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »

i'm getting it too, but since i updated my router wrt54g and the 360 update at the same time i'm having a hard time tracking it down.  Everythign else works (wmc for pics and music) but i just can't get mc extender to work.

mianus

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »

well i checked the log and my pc kept throwning an error with regxpsp2.dll  so after trying to reload the dll and a bunch of other stuff i gave up, even the new dash update (2nd one).  Then there was one little thing i forgot about.  My pc has been throwing activation needed popups at boot.  So i decided to activate mce and what do you know, it works now.  My guess is there was a check thrown in the the dash update.