xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How 2 Play Divx On Xbox360  (Read 101 times)

Junglist_Refugee

• Archived User
How 2 Play Divx On Xbox360
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »

this is from xbox.com/forums

http://forums.xbox.c...8/ShowPost.aspx

thanks to PR0 EV0LUTION

Playing Divx on media center –

Download Windows Media Encoder 9  from here and then Install.

http://www.softpedia...a-Encoder.shtml

Put your divx video in “My Videos”  and then open up notepad, in the document write  - mms://*INSERT PC IP ADDRESS*:8080 and then save your notepad file as *name of video*.asx

screen shot of what your notepad document should look like. (note ip address replaced with X's)

IPB Image

**for example if your video is called perfectdarktrailer.avi the notepad file would be saved as perfectdarktrailer.asx**

save the file to the directory  of the video your wanting to watch.

Open up Windows Media Encoder

In the wizard dialogue popup box click “Custom Session” screen shot

IPB Image

In the sources tab change  “Source From” to File and then browse and open up the video you want. screen shot

IPB Image

Use the other tabs to change the quality of the output. In this case we have set it as “DVD quality video” screen shot

IPB Image

When you’re happy with your settings click “apply” and then start encoding.

Open up media center on your 360 and locate the .asx file  and play it, you should now be able to watch it on your xbox 360 J

Written by

Pezer and Pro Evolution

Original German version located here

also just another little note that i discovered earlier today; as the movie is been broadcast over your network (much like internet radio) you will need to start the .asx file on the 360 at pritty much the same time you press 'start encoding' on windows media encoder because it will just skip to whereever the encoder is on the file, you also won't be able to pause for long either or it will skip forward aswell.

can be slightly annoying but its better than no DivX movies.

H2290

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

Interesting find, but as I read it you must be encoding the file WHILE you access it from the 360.  This is a bit of a hassle, but definitely a step in the right direction.

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 06:15:00 AM »

It sounds to me it'd be easier to buy a camera, hire a few actors and shoot your version of the movie for viewing than doing what's described above.

No offence, but I'll still pass.