xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mce 2005 Tv Recording Question  (Read 161 times)

RocketMBA

• Archived User
Mce 2005 Tv Recording Question
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

There's no DVB-S, I know that for sure. I occasionally read about some dodgy hack that gets DVB-S cards going if they have BDA drivers, but there's no DiSEqC support on that and I've never tried one of these hacks to see how successful they are. Also, I'm not sure on the modulation of DirecTV - I don't think that the current DVB-S cards will support it.

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(RocketMBA @ Dec 9 2005, 10:43 AM) View Post

There's no DVB-S, I know that for sure. I occasionally read about some dodgy hack that gets DVB-S cards going if they have BDA drivers, but there's no DiSEqC support on that and I've never tried one of these hacks to see how successful they are. Also, I'm not sure on the modulation of DirecTV - I don't think that the current DVB-S cards will support it.

Wow.. very informative. So double whammy on dvb-s huh? so what dvb-s do cards support? The only other in these parts is dns. I guess you can't plug into the sat digital box either? But you can on digital cable boxes right?

I'm reading on it as of present, and it appears ATSC is supported but it's kind of sketchy. I think it requires a SDTV card too.

I figured this would be the main draw of recording, because I can't really picture recording SDTV where I live, or what I mean to say, is holding on to SDTV recordings. I wondered because it seems like a bonus, say for just picking up shows that I miss, but using the ATSC for stuff I want to hold on to. Just seems overkill to have a dedicate mce system to record analog.

Beelzabub

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Dec 9 2005, 05:29 PM) View Post

Does anyone with a MCE 2005 rig know if there is ATSC recording support (OTA and HD-SAT)? Also, what about DVB-S (say... DirecTV)?

Is DVR-MS the only way to record? Can I take that and burn it to DVD format as I would with MPEG2 with no transcoding?

Any help or links is greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

Theres a similar thread to this one on here and to answer your question my answer on that thread was this:

My setup consist of a DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 card and a Hauppauge 150MCE card and they both work great in media center I'm able to pause/record/watch live tv on the 360 with no problems at all and that includes watching HDTV and recording it... like many people stated 360 and MCE work very well as long as you have the right stuff on your pc.

PS, I use it with an OTA antenna for my HDTV channels and my PVR-150 I use with my cable feed

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(Beelzabub @ Dec 9 2005, 07:27 PM) View Post

Theres a similar thread to this one on here and to answer your question my answer on that thread was this:

My setup consist of a DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 card and a Hauppauge 150MCE card and they both work great in media center I'm able to pause/record/watch live tv on the 360 with no problems at all and that includes watching HDTV and recording it... like many people stated 360 and MCE work very well as long as you have the right stuff on your pc.

PS, I use it with an OTA antenna for my HDTV channels and my PVR-150 I use with my cable feed

Analog cable feed I take it? What do you save your rips as? Is it only dvr-ms and if so, must that be transcoded in order to burn to mpeg2 compliant dvd?

QUOTE(RocketMBA @ Dec 9 2005, 07:39 PM) View Post

Yeah, no DVB-S support on MCE was a kicker for me too. Note that the hopefully-soon-to-come DVB-S2 cards will support DirecTV, but if MCE will ever support them I can't say. I'm just getting a normal analogue input card and shoving an S-Video signal from my sat. receiver into that. My satellite reciever can only do SD, so I can't speak about the HD side of things. No HD native from the UK until Summer 2006 sad.gif

Hmmm... so If I understand correctly... you can't run SAT feed directly into card, but you can hook up tuner card to SAT box output and record from there? I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Wouldn't that still be the same quality as direct feed and digital?  NO wait... it's converted to analog in order to transport across the S-Video and then back to digital in the tuner card so that can't be right. Still, quality loss should be neglible. Meh... that's not a big deal though because I really wouldn't want to save a SD recording anyway.

RocketMBA, here's what I'm looking at now...

http://www.dvd-gear....nt-hdtv-pci.htm

Seen this? Allows you to capture and rip OTA to mpeg4. I'm thinking of getting that, because it leaves me the option of keeping native HD, while also compressing to the container I want, and scheduling my shows. If I get it, I'll defintely have to upgrade my 17" Hitachi LCD Monitor to a 21" WS though, just for when I'm doing work on my PC and want to watch tv at the same time smile.gif

Whattya think of that card?

RocketMBA

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »

Yeah, an analogue card that takes in S-Video with an external sat box is cool. Of course, you have to change the channel on the sat receiver manually or with one of those IR blasters or something, but... Yeah. It works, you know? There is a quality loss but like you said, it's not so worrying. I mostly want the timeshifting etc.

Well, about the card. I can't tell if that's a DVB-S card - if it is, it won't work with MCE, full stop. If it picks up stuff through DVB-T/analogue methods then yes, it should work with MCE as long as it has BDA drivers.

Isn't this a fun exciting game?

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(RocketMBA @ Dec 9 2005, 10:50 PM) View Post

Yeah, an analogue card that takes in S-Video with an external sat box is cool. Of course, you have to change the channel on the sat receiver manually or with one of those IR blasters or something, but... Yeah. It works, you know? There is a quality loss but like you said, it's not so worrying. I mostly want the timeshifting etc.

Well, about the card. I can't tell if that's a DVB-S card - if it is, it won't work with MCE, full stop. If it picks up stuff through DVB-T/analogue methods then yes, it should work with MCE as long as it has BDA drivers.

Isn't this a fun exciting game?

Heheh... yes it is. I didn't mean to change course though so sorry to come of confusing. I'm not getting that card for MCE. It's an ATSC card (no dvb) that I just plan to use on my XP Pro Machine for OTA, and then stream what I capture (or rip) to xbox media center. I actually don't even have SAT anymore. I get free local channels and some extras where I live (about 25 channels) and "grab" anything that I miss.

RocketMBA

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

Oh, oh, I see, that's cool dude. Yeah, that would be dope then, go for it. biggrin.gif