xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pal-60 & Dvd Playback  (Read 119 times)

alexhulse

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »

Yeah, I've had this problem too.

I've emailed MS about it, but they've got got back yet *pokes with a stick*

I've found that the problem is mainly with my collection of BBC disks - ie content from britain/europe where it was shot @ 25fps and so the xbox has a hard time upscaling it to 30fps!

ymmv

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

I find that DVDs play choppily in HD. I've tried a few region free (ahum) NTSC DVDs on my European Xbox 360 and they didn't play very smoothly. The strange thing is that they're played in 576P (PAL resolution) although they should have been played as 480P since the source was an NTSC disk. The Xbox 360 sets the DVD player resolution independent from the Dashboard resolution which was set to 720P.

Gobelet

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(funy @ Dec 8 2005, 11:46 PM) View Post

Is anyone else finding that when xbox360 is in pal60 mode and you try and play a dvd it jumps all over the place. put back to 50hz and its fine.

really annoying as i want to play my games in 60hz and not have to keep switching.

old xbox worked fine playing dvds in 60hz

Something stranger: Use your controller to make the OSD appear. No more stuttering. What the hell is going on?

I'm on HD now, but it was a pain in the ass to switch between both everytime I wanted to play games or to watch a DVD.

Joergen

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

I specificly asked about this from some people in another forum who use component and a pal 360 and they say their console switches automatically to 576p and there are no playback problems, and back to 720p for the games. So what are you/they doing differently.

CueballUK

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(funy @ Dec 13 2005, 09:21 AM) View Post

One thing tho, once youve switched the controller on, how do you switch it off, dont want to waste the batteries. only way i know is to turn the console off lol.

hold down the x360 button on the controller untill a menu apears on the screen. on this menu there is a shut down 4 the console and also option 2 turn off controller.

Cuebal smile.gif

faiysal

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »

Anyone get backup DVD's to work? I've tried using three different brands, and none of them work. I ordered some Sony DVD-R discs, so I hope they work when they arrive, btw I use Nero...

bigbilly50

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

My DVD back-ups work fine (using component cables btw) - burnt on Ritek "-R's".  However, Im in the same boat with NTSC disks not playing smoothly - varies from disk to disk but there is always some jerky-ness there which your average joe might not notice but it bugs the hell out of me !

A real shame as I find 'PAL' play back to be very nice.

This would be top of my list to be fixed in an update.

create

• Archived User
Pal-60 & Dvd Playback
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(faiysal @ Jan 10 2006, 02:10 PM) View Post

Anyone get backup DVD's to work? I've tried using three different brands, and none of them work. I ordered some Sony DVD-R discs, so I hope they work when they arrive, btw I use Nero...

Read this thread.

I can see frame rate jerkiness when I watch DVDs on the Xbox 360 too; I'm referring to playing NTSC DVDs on a US console.