xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Xbox360 To Record Tv Programs  (Read 254 times)

timj010

• Archived User
Using Xbox360 To Record Tv Programs
« on: December 03, 2005, 05:05:00 AM »

Please give me an acurate anwser on this question. Is there a possibility to use the xbox360 to record tv programs onto it's HD. Can you maybe put an external tv tuner into it's usb port and then have somekind of program able to record it. Maybe something similar like the myth tv I know there aren't any homebrew aplications available at this time but doesn't the xbox360's MCE have native support?

Thx a lot.

noryn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 05:13:00 AM »

Just killing time before I go to Target and sorry I cannot give you anything definate.  I dont think so.  This function would have probably been advertised.  I am sure in the future this will probably be possible through both homebrew and MS.

Right now though the harddrive is only 20 gigs.  I think 13 gigs after system information is on it.  That isnt counting demos or music.  Doesnt the ipod with video have 30 and 60 gig hard drives?  So storage at the moment is a big factor although it seems as if the MS hard drive is just a notebook hard drive with a special casing.  The ipod videos should be quite a bit smaller in size as well.

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »

its via Windows XP Media Centre Endition and the Media centre Extender and what not I beleive.

You need XP:MCE and a compatable Tv Tuner.

noryn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »

Yeah you can send video and music to your 360 by a pc with media edition but you cant actually save TV shows on the xbox hard drive can you?

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »

I dont know how it works as I dont have a compatable Tv card in my MCE system.

However any kind of recording of Tv will be done via that system

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arius @ Dec 3 2005, 05:45 AM) *

its via Windows XP Media Centre Endition and the Media centre Extender and what not I beleive.

You need XP:MCE and a compatable Tv Tuner.

I'm pretty sure the ATI chipset on the mainboard (of the 360) has a TV encoder/decoder at least, according to AnandTech's exposure of the internals. Hopefully something we might see "accessible" in the future. If the 360 only ends up being an extender, that'll be lame. The xbox already handles that beautifully. But I'm very optimistic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by babanoosh: Dec 3 2005, 04:04 PM

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

if anything i think MS will release a USB2.0 tuner and require xboxlive gold for like a tvguide type program, which would be awsome

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ballz2TheWallz @ Dec 3 2005, 08:42 AM) *

if anything i think MS will release a USB2.0 tuner and require xboxlive gold for like a tvguide type program, which would be awsome

Why a 2.0 tuner if there's a mpeg2 encoder/decoder on the mboard? It (like digital) is just a matter of enabling it via software (and interface for the latter).

Ther is an extension to XBMC which allows for tv gude (xml-tv i think). But yeah, in order to be "supa sweet" it'd have to be streamlined with some onboard decoding.

This post has been edited by babanoosh: Dec 3 2005, 04:21 PM

timj010

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Look like I'm gonna wait until (if) they crack the xbox360 before I buy it. If somebody has a xbox360 at home and a MC compatible USB tv tuner can you please plug it in and tell me if anything happens (my last hope  biggrin.gif )

kirbypuckett

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »

You cannot record as of now.

eversio11

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

If you can spare $20 for a TV Tuner, and have a lot of free space on your HD, you can use your PC to record television. Just look up FreeVo on google.

This post has been edited by eversio11: Dec 4 2005, 07:57 PM

akodoreign

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

You know MCE is not hard to get and works pretty well. I know my college will sell it to students for like 19 bucks. (covers the cost of duplication they claim). And If you can scrounge about 80 bucks for a tuner for your pc you will be a happy person.

Btw Experementing with http://www.moremce.com/plugin_detail.php?p...cc07e8e9fee7ddc

can get them to come up but then it crashes. Someone in another post stated that it just needs to be optimized for extender.

So realy If you have MCE pc and 360 you can do almost everything you can with a modded xbox. I still love my modded xbox 1 but the 360 has made me pretty happy.

Only use a hauppauge card. they are the most compatable with MCE. ATI pro does not even work with MCE you have to get a ATI elite.

This post has been edited by akodoreign: Dec 4 2005, 08:17 PM

timj010

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 04:20:00 AM »

Well if the xbox360 doesn't record tv then i'll probably install mythTV on my old pc. But can somebody explain me this:

With Xbox 360, you can:

Windows Media Center

Connect to a computer running Windows Media Center and

* Listen to your music collection
    * View pictures
    * Watch live TV
    * Pause and replay live TV
    * Record TV shows then watch them later
    * Watch Videos
    * Download and watch movies
    * Buy music online

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 06:02:00 AM »

yes it can do all that but your pc is doing all the work the 360 is just displaying it. think of it like using a second monoter and displaying the meda realted stuff on that. same thing.

This post has been edited by luther349: Dec 5 2005, 02:03 PM

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 06:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Dec 5 2005, 09:33 PM) View Post

yes it can do all that but your pc is doing all the work the 360 is just displaying it. think of it like using a second monoter and displaying the meda realted stuff on that. same thing.

Bingo.

Just like how all the guys saying "I've saved thousands of pictures to my HDD" are confusing "saving" with "streaming" (unless you count "saving" a pic as a theme background, which is pretty much missing the point).
Pages: [1] 2