xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Kinect not limited to 2-players  (Read 32 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Kinect not limited to 2-players
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 21 16:13 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From examiner.com:

The camera technology can detect an unlimited number of people, so if it's programmed in such a way, it can process and render more than two-players at a time. At the current time, Microsoft hasn't revealed how many players Kinect will support, but last year they did mention it could and would allow for 4-player gaming. PrimeSense did state that they do not know how many players Microsoft currently has Kinect setup to handle. With Kinect and the PrimeSense demonstration two completely separate entities, but the camera itself can detect a limitless number of people. It's solely limited based on the software that is implemented to the camera' hardware chip.

Full Story: examiner.com

KillerFirefly

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »

Well the videos show up to 4 players playing at a time.
So I don't know why someone would think it's limited to two...

TerminatR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

bobasp1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »

that stupid pokerface song game they showed with the booth babes had 3 players playing and it was on screen as well.

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »

what they dont tell you is that the kinect also has the ability to detect and record people flashing their 360 drives. it then sends that vid to microslick, who then uses it to ban you  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

-DeToX-

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »

Although this news post says MS stated they will have 4 player gaming.. Just thought I should state some API's support 6 players. Some more.

I guess you'll have to see what plays out, personally I haven't had enough friends try it out to know.

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(KillerFirefly @ Jun 21 2010, 05:38 PM) *

Well the videos show up to 4 players playing at a time.
So I don't know why someone would think it's limited to two...

Obviously the camera can detect any amount of people, but I assume the problem will be how much information it can effectively process in real time.

I would assume that the more people that it has to map, the more processing power it will take and probably the more lag it will cause.  My guess it that, at least initially, games that allow for more than 2 players will probably have more limited control schemes.

This post has been edited by Flagg3: Jun 22 2010, 12:50 AM

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »

I heard that it can work with a small high school. It can also be used for video conferencing and it smart enough to blur out middle fingers or mouths when foul language is used.