xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Xbox 360 E74 Hardware Failures are on the Rise and Full of Fail  (Read 555 times)

elocin671

• Archived User
Xbox 360 E74 Hardware Failures are on the Rise and Full of Fail
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

I had a Halo edition that got a e74. Well, it was 75% e74 and around 25% of the time it would 3ROD.
The warranty was expired. Called microsoft and told them it was 3ROD. I "trouble shot" with the CSR.
"Yes mam, the light on the power brick is green, and the lights are flashing red"  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)
And I made sure she could hear me turn the shyt on. So I wasnt lying, cause it would RROD sometimes...

This post has been edited by elocin671: Mar 21 2009, 12:42 AM

tabsaid

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

E74 on v1.0 Xenon console bought Dec 06, E74 Dec 07.  Falcon acquired Dec 07, RROD Dec 08.  I never ran either console longer then 2hrs.  Always real careful since I knew all about the crap design.  Gotta say the Falcon only lasting a yr surprised me though.  I always run at 1080P.  Curious how many people get E74 that use SD.  Less stress on the scaler chip might make a difference.

-  I'm glad this is finally making some headlines.  The next wave is going to be DVD drives with shot laser.  2 of my friends (no custom firmware) already got that one.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(wmxp @ Mar 20 2009, 03:44 PM) View Post

Ugg, the PR spin MS spits out every time a report of failures surfaces just irritates me. It's not a question of IF your 360 is going to die, but WHEN. I've spent a whole mess of money and time fixing mine.

1st 360, bought June 06: RRoD after 7 months or so. Error 0102 GPU failure. Fixed it myself using RBJ's x-clamp method. Arctic Silver 5 upgrade, etc. Died a second time a week later, so I heatgun revived it a second time. Did RBJ's shroud mod, and closed as many air leaks as I could. Bought the XCM high speed air cooler and addon fan. Even with that, it died again. Fixed clamps again, lasted a while died again. Screw it, time to buy another box.

2nd 360, bought around April 07: X-clamped replaced it as soon as it came in the door. (I didn't want to deal with Microsoft. I had friends send their box in, and get it back 2 months later! Or even the wrong one!) Did all the extra cooling mods...was running peachy. Then.....Error 74. Nothing I could do to fix it. Argh!

3rd 360, bought Oct 07: This unit had the new GPU heatsink. Didn't touch the x-clamps this time. Stuck the XCM cooler in, and then ran it with the lid off allowing ample airflow in but not exactily pretty. When the LianLi XB01 came out, jumped on it right away. Is now installed in that case, with a 12volt mod applied to the 120mm fan. Super quiet, and super cool. Convinced all my friends to invest in that case, and we've all been running them awhile with no problems. At least should you be forced to buy a new 360 now, you only need buy a $200 dollar arcade, and your XBLA content can finally be transferred with that website tool. Labours of love I guess. *sigh*

it seems like a lot of the money you spent fixing your 360 was buying new ones because you decided to void the warranty right when you got it. at least for #'s 2 & 3. why would you void it to soon?

QUOTE(tabsaid @ Mar 20 2009, 04:19 PM) View Post

E74 on v1.0 Xenon console bought Dec 06, E74 Dec 07.  Falcon acquired Dec 07, RROD Dec 08.  I never ran either console longer then 2hrs.  Always real careful since I knew all about the crap design.

i never understood why people limit their playing time because of fear the console might break. why not just play as much as you want and if it breaks, it does. if not, then continue having fun instead of being all paranoid.

warbeast

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

if e74 due to ANA is more common then 3rrod in falcons its probley because the 65mm gpu helps avoid a main 3rrod so shows this up more

i guess all older models would of died of this if they didnt already die from 3rrod to start with

but its the same as the no video error all fixable with xclamp

Bjodom

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Devedander @ Mar 21 2009, 12:17 AM) View Post

So wait... you had a box that was covred by warranty, they offered to fix it for free and instead you busted it open, spent your own time and money to "fix" it and the result was you now have a box that has no wararnty and is still broken?  blink.gif

I remember when I first modded my 360 I did the paper fan shroud thing to seperate the two fans so the CPU and GPU each got one full fan pulling.  I wonder if it would be wise to also use some paper or ducting to shield the ANA chip so the hot air from the chips doesn't just go right over it.

Focus. The 1 year warranty was up. The extended 3 year warranty is only for 3rlod. So I had it for 1+ year with 1 red light, they would not fix that unless I payed. They would fix the 3rlod, but won't touch the 1 rlod error.

BrooksyX

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

I got e74 yesterday. I sent it off to M$ for repair today. I am so sick of this trash. This is my 4th 360 ive been on. When M$ sends me back my 360 i am just gonna try and sell it. Right now I am gonna sell all my games and accessories. So sick of this crappy xbox 360 junk. Ive moved on to PC gaming and i think ill stick to it. Can't beat the prices on steam.

Bjodom

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

asdf

This post has been edited by Bjodom: Mar 21 2009, 01:39 AM

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

E74 and the ROD are pretty much the same fault. Microshaft have likely just changed the way consoles show errors so they don't have to honour the three year warranty.

I've fixed many e74's with the usual xclamp replacement... this is proof it has nothing to do with hana/ana.

I'm seriously beggining to believe that the whole ROD issue is just a huge marketing ploy. Think about it, how many consoles have you bought?

wlintek

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

noticed e74 not soon the falcon was released. in fact, most of the xenon board were e74 then 3rrod. x-clamp fixes both boards temporally. so the problem is actually the same. the actual ANA chip is not the problem but the GPU is. it's overheating causing BGA chip solder balls cracking. extended heatsink and 65nm CPU reduced a lot of heat but still not enough due to this crapy design in the first place. jasper most likely will be fine.

never believe what ms says to public when they face problems !

Sillyboy18

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

I had a couple xbox I fix becuase of this error e74.  This is a great diy fix have to xbox that I fix with it.

My personal xbox I fixed like that for 2 months then I go the 3rrod I just didn't think my falcon board could get that.  I found out that the fan stop working and it was over heading.  So added external fan.  I also replace the xclamp.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

or

http://www.llamma.co...x-clamp_fix.htm

My box has been do great and haven't had any trouble.

sk8er31287

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »

I bought my first Xbox 360(Falcon Version) on November 2007 and about a month ago it gave me the E74. I've tried the infamous penny trick but that has been to no avail. I'm going to replace the xclamp in a few days here to see if I can fix it myself. I'll post an update to see if it helps. Q_Q

Shonk

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

Why do people persist in saying its the hana

its the links on the gpu to hana

exactly the same as rrod just not as bad

has nothing at all to do with hana overheating

its the gpu!!!

i have fixed about 15 for friends

and i dont go anywhere near hana

This post has been edited by Shonk: Mar 21 2009, 02:46 AM

XLNC

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

It's definitely the GPU at fault hear affecting the hana chip, the falcons have a lot less chance of 3rrod, I know this because I tried the baking method which I know is bad now but that never caused a 3rrod only 2 lights and shut down.

mario1tracker

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Mar 21 2009, 02:20 AM) View Post

it seems like a lot of the money you spent fixing your 360 was buying new ones because you decided to void the warranty right when you got it. at least for #'s 2 & 3. why would you void it to soon?
i never understood why people limit their playing time because of fear the console might break. why not just play as much as you want and if it breaks, it does. if not, then continue having fun instead of being all paranoid.

Yup you're totally right... i keep my console VERTICAL next to my tv so there's little space and i still play 6h+ as soon as i find a good game to download ..

This is my new xbox (i have an elite too) it HAD 2 years warranty but i opened it and flashed it... it's 1 month and 5 days old i think  huh.gif

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »

i did not read all the posts, but somebody needs to figure out that there are no ANA chips on the falcon mobo's. ANA chips are on xenon and opu only i think...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6