xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: February NPD: Xbox360 391k, PS3 276k, Wii 753k  (Read 110 times)

chronno

• Archived User
February NPD: Xbox360 391k, PS3 276k, Wii 753k
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Mar 20 2009, 06:18 PM) *

Don't underestimate good marketing. Look at the Wii for example, it costs more than a 360, is less powerful than a 360, has far less good games yet it sells double the amount of the cheaper console. I agree the main problem with the PS3 is it's price (you can buy a 360 and standalone Blu-ray player for less) but Sony doesn't seem to have a clue when it comes to promoting and marketing their console.

There is also another market that the 360 and PS3 don't even come close to.  The professional market.  The bar down the street from my house doesn't have a 360, it doesn't have a PS3, it has a Wii.  Physical trainers, rehabilitation centers, and under exercised home dwellers use them.  All the physical activity that the Wii promotes created a shotgun marketing affect that even Nintendo didn't anticipate (or maybe they did and that is why the Wiimote exists).

Anth

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 03:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 20 2009, 03:13 PM) *

I'll give you a real-life example as to why I think Sony are failing.

My Sister-in-Law was over last week and she spotted my recently purchased PS3.

"What's that?"
"A PlayStation 3"
"Oh - I didn't even know there was a 3rd one out!"

I think all that shows is maybe your sister in law is a bit dim.

Show her a microwave and see if she asks if you can get channel 5 on it.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(Just to note this was intended as a bit of a harmless fun - so no offence intended)

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Anth @ Mar 21 2009, 10:15 AM) *

I think all that shows is maybe your sister in law is a bit dim.

Show her a microwave and see if she asks if you can get channel 5 on it.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(Just to note this was intended as a bit of a harmless fun - so no offence intended)

Yeah, apparently all electronic engineers are a bit dim ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

She's anything but dim - maybe you're just an unfunny retard?

(Just to note this was intended as a bit of harmless fun too, so no offence intended).

Anth

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 21 2009, 04:24 PM) *

Yeah, apparently all electronic engineers are a bit dim ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

Yep you said it.

She's anything but dim - maybe you're just an unfunny retard?

But I know what a PS3 is.

You must have known you were setting yourself up for some sort of satirical comment posting something as embarrassing like that.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »

It's not really rocket science to figure out that the most expensive console will sell less this February than it did last. take a look at the economic climate.
The problem is Sony expected to be selling much more in terms of total numbers.
As a comparison to the 360 it has told more console sales than the 360 at the same relative point in it's life span. Sony over anticipated how much they could achieve in a short time. (worldwide. Don't know how that converts with the NPD figures)

I'll give you a real-life example as to why I think Sony are failing.

My Sister-in-Law was over last week and she spotted my recently purchased PS3.

"What's that?"
"A PlayStation 3"
"Oh - I didn't even know there was a 3rd one out!"

Now, I accept I'm in the UK and these are NA figures, but if the average Joe isn't aware of a console, how on Earth do Sony expect to sell them?

If she was remotely interested in gaming then she would have known. Lots of people who don't care about gaming don't know what any of the consoles are or do or even that they exist. Advertising for the PS3 has been crap but even if they hammered the advertising, your "average Joe" or your sister still are not going to buy one. No point targeting people who don't care about consoles.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Anth @ Mar 21 2009, 06:49 PM) *

You must have known you were setting yourself up for some sort of satirical comment posting something as embarrassing like that.

Believe it or not, there's more to life than your games console(s). I'm also sure she could tell you things you're ignorant of too - I suppose that makes you dim too, eh?

What's 'embarrassing' is your assumption the world is full of people reading computer magazines and visiting sites such as this.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 21 2009, 07:26 PM) *

If she was remotely interested in gaming then she would have known. Lots of people who don't care about gaming don't know what any of the consoles are or do or even that they exist. Advertising for the PS3 has been crap but even if they hammered the advertising, your "average Joe" or your sister still are not going to buy one. No point targeting people who don't care about consoles.

There are far too many assumptions in that statement!

She's got an Xbox - admittedly it's used mainly for XBMC, but it's there for games too. How does this make her aware of a new console? BTW, she's also fully aware of our 360 and Wii.

How do you know who would buy one unless you market the product to them (sorry, this statement alone is laughable)? By that statement, the PS3 must already have achieved its market saturation (if you don't know about the PS3, you wouldn't want one anyway). Sony may as well pull all advertisements altogether.

Forget about trying to pinpoint your demographic, you should be advertising to as many types of people as possible. The Wii is a prime example - it's selling to a non-gamer market. People who haven't touched a games console in 20 years are getting back into the gaming scene. Do you think the Wii would have been anywhere near as successful had they marketed it the same as the PS3 (i.e to a niche market)?

Anth

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 21 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Believe it or not, there's more to life than your games console(s). I'm also sure she could tell you things you're ignorant of too - I suppose that makes you dim too, eh?

What's 'embarrassing' is your assumption the world is full of people reading computer magazines and visiting sites such as this.

Jesus you are taking a offhanded jibe that was meant in good spirit like it was a declaration of war against your entire family morals.

You tend to forget you were the one that posted that she did not even know what the PS3 was, to prove some point that this means that the PS3 is doing terribly, which is simply not true.

And you now suggest that she has no interest whatsoever in gaming technology so this is how she doesn't know.

All I have to say to this change of reasoning is: Correct, that is how she didn't know, I bet she also may not know the the results of the past seven Manchester United games, Or San Francisco 49ers but that doesn't mean they're doing terribly.

This will be my last post on this thread as this is really getting nowhere.

Spartiku5

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »

With the HUGE amount of money Nintendo are bringing in i hope they channel the majority into research and developement of thier next generation of console, i have all 3 consoles my kids play the wii and love it, i play the 360 and love it and i watch movies on the ps3
A true next gen console with the wii marketing and features and MS francises would be the ideal i hope nintendo are heading towards this.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »

She's got an Xbox - admittedly it's used mainly for XBMC, but it's there for games too. How does this make her aware of a new console? BTW, she's also fully aware of our 360 and Wii.

How do you know who would buy one unless you market the product to them (sorry, this statement alone is laughable)? By that statement, the PS3 must already have achieved its market saturation (if you don't know about the PS3, you wouldn't want one anyway). Sony may as well pull all advertisements altogether.

I will tell you what is laughable.
your little "story" about your sister who has an Xbox knows about the Wii but has never heard of the PS3.
Sounds very fishy to me.
As for the rest you quote some story about your own sister to prove a point yet tell me that every company who has a product does not have a target demographic.
Oh yes I can see the technophobes who don't even have a VCR yet fighting to get a games console because June Whitfield advertises it on the back of their pension credits envelope. I never said the PS3 had reached Market saturation. You made that assumption based on your clear misinterpretation of what I posted (not the first time either)
Forget about trying to pinpoint your demographic, you should be advertising to as many types of people as possible.

What?? Why don't you open a company up selling oil  and advertise it to oil sheiks or snow and advertise it to people in Africa. Not having targeted marketing is a fat waste of cash. To suggest other wise is well to coin your phrase again "laughable"
Amazing!!
 I realise you like a battle with me and I too enjoy it. But really consider what you have posted before you rush into the counter strike.
Oh and don't call names like "Retard" at other members please. It doesn't make your case any more convincing and is rather personal as opposed to arguing a point.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Today, 04:27 PM
Pages: 1 [2]