xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hardware Analyst Breaks Down Cost Of Xbox 360’s 120GB Hard Drive  (Read 104 times)

Johnwinger

• Archived User
Hardware Analyst Breaks Down Cost Of Xbox 360’s 120GB Hard Drive
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »

Consumersd should have been given the option to upgrade on their own like PS3 owners.

M$ is not consumer driven at all. It's very disappointing.

Everything they do, they do for themselves.

Such as Vista. It was not designed for the average computer user.

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

no matter what math you use, we (the consumer) are still getting burned by that price for the HD... i wonder if they could have made more profit with a lower price and thus more sales?

and as others have said before, yes, the elite does pose a great deal for the hardware...

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ May 7 2008, 04:07 AM) View Post

no matter what math you use, we (the consumer) are still getting burned by that price for the HD... i wonder if they could have made more profit with a lower price and thus more sales?

and as others have said before, yes, the elite does pose a great deal for the hardware...

Yeah that was called hd-dvd

FUCKMICROSOFT

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »

i like the caddy idea. but the argument posted earlier that in truth microshaft doesn't want us to buy the 120 gig drive, they want us to buy anther console altogether makes even more sense to me.

anything to boost hardware sales....
Anything.....

DeeRez

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »

Lol, I misread the title, thought it said Hardware Analyst Breaks Down At Cost Of Xbox 360’s 120GB Hard Drive.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Johnwinger @ May 7 2008, 01:00 AM) View Post

Consumersd should have been given the option to upgrade on their own like PS3 owners.

M$ is not consumer driven at all. It's very disappointing.

Everything they do, they do for themselves.

Such as Vista. It was not designed for the average computer user.

OMG, you figured it out.  A business is out to make money for themselves.  What will they do next? Profit?  Supply products and make you buy it?  

Please tell us your definition of consumer friendliness is based on more tangible notions then the ability to upgrade a harddrive yourself?  Sony isn't exactly advertising that the harddrives are consumer upgradable, and in fact they'd prefer you didn't so don't be suprised if some future PS3 revision took that away.

When you grow up and move out of your parent house you might quickly realize the difference between your naive notion of "consumer driven" and what multi-national companies like Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Exxon, Toyota or any other large corporation is really in business for.    If you want a company that's not out for themselves go find a non-profit organization that makes and sells video games.

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ May 6 2008, 09:38 PM) View Post

Yeah that was called hd-dvd

don't follow you at all, how does questioning a lower price than $180 for the 120 GB hard drive in order to make more sales (at a lower profit margin) of the hard drive and thus increase overall profit (on the sale of the hard drive) have anything to do with hd-dvd?

QUOTE(DeeRez @ May 6 2008, 10:38 PM) View Post

Lol, I misread the title, thought it said Hardware Analyst Breaks Down At Cost Of Xbox 360’s 120GB Hard Drive.

very good point... tongue.gif

xjustsumloserx

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »

Yes the price of the 120GB HDD is crazy, which is the main reason I have not picked it up yet even though I am getting to where I need it.  One thing that many people dont seem to be voicing is the crazy price of a memory card.  The memory card is currently offered in 64MB, 256MB(Arcade only) and 512MB.  As the memory card slot is just another modified USB, why are we paying such a high price.  I used to work at an electronic store up until a month ago, and we were selling 128MB flash drives for one dollar each.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(794 @ May 7 2008, 07:01 AM) View Post

don't follow you at all, how does questioning a lower price than $180 for the 120 GB hard drive in order to make more sales (at a lower profit margin) of the hard drive and thus increase overall profit (on the sale of the hard drive) have anything to do with hd-dvd?
very good point... tongue.gif

Hi, Sorry i misread the previous post, i thought HD meant High Def and not Hard Disk.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »

and we werent being ripped off for $100 for 20gb?

That plastic and cable must be really expensive...

Devil-Man

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

Back in '99 I swore I'd never pay more than $1/gig for a hard drive. In 2003 that changed to $.50/gig. 2005 it changed to $.35/gig. Now it's down to $.15/gig. If I can get a hard drive a $.05/gig then why on earth would I go back to the dark ages and pay even MORE than I used to?

$180 - 120 gig HDD = $1.50/gig.

thehoweller

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

I bought an external harddrive for my business, 6 months ago...It was 500 gigs, and cost 75 dollars...

I also bought a 360 three months ago, I still haven't bought a harddrive.  My 256MB memory card is starting to scream at me, but I refuse to pay more than twice that which I paid for the 500gig harddrive, for less than a fourth of the space.

I continually eye used 120gigs on places like EBAY, but everytime I do, I grimace.  It's still outrageous...

My only conclusion is that Microsoft is a money hungry company, and I won't be helping their cause for quite some time.

**OH!  Anyone else from the US insulted at the fact that 5,000 R/D jobs are being given to the Chinese?  And I thought the harddrive was a jip, losing jobs to other countries is worse.**

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

120 gig can swing on my nuts for that price.. if M$ sold each one for $101.00 that would give m$, a $1.00 profit.. for that price you know millions would buy it right off the bat.. thats atleast $1,000,000 for M$, now.... I woudnt mind paying $125.00 easlily.. but common ,, $179.00 is just getting bent over without any lube!!! BUT.. Remember boys and girls... Microsoft is good for raping us. there well known for it.

have a good day!

Im not racist.. but yes jobs givin to the chinise fuc******ing blows.. but hell thats our country.. remember when america was "Land Of The Free" now its land of ..um... well theres.. no not that... ahhh.. hmm ohwell.

talax

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »

Sony's 8MB card for the PS2 is still about $25 (or a two pack for $34)... that's even worse robbery, nowadays.

Not that two wrongs make a right of course.

But the above is true only if you look at it from a pure storage standpoint.

There are a few other issues:

1)  Proprietary, including DRM.  Yes... MS has to install their DRM on the drive so it's recognized as a legit drive by the 360.  Maintaining the DRM is something they add to the cost of the drive.  
2)  Supply and Demand.  Only MS can sell the hard drive that works completely on the 360.  They control the market for it, and thus can charge whatever they want.  

Are they raping you if you buy one... definitely.  But they get away with it.

This overcharging when you are the only one selling the product is nothing new.

Look at any server made by HP or Dell.  They undercharge on the server, and then overcharge on all the accessories  (memory, hard drives, raid controllers, etc.).  Sometimes the amount they overcharge is even worse than what MS is doing.  They do the same thing with desktops and notebooks.

All in all, it's pretty standard stuff in the industry.

Pages: 1 [2]