xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rumor: 60GB Xbox WILL Replace 20GB Model  (Read 131 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumor: 60GB Xbox WILL Replace 20GB Model
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 7 14:58 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From trustedreviews.com:

I have once again have attained from a rock solid source that Microsoft WILL be replacing the 20GB hard drive on the standard Xbox 360 with a larger 60GB version. Dates are not nailed down, but my source says Microsoft wants it done and dusted before the end of its financial year which translates as our Q2.

At this stage how all these moves will affect the Arcade is unknown. A price cut is widely rumoured to be coming this month but - at least for now - it is unlikely to also be the beneficiary of a hand-me-down 20GB hard drive.

Full Story: trustedreviews.com

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

i can see a few peole posting that they got ripped off cause they got a 20Gb version. i say, get over it in advanced.

this isnt really goig to be huge unless its sold at a reasonable price seperatly.

This post has been edited by scuba156: Mar 7 2008, 10:18 PM

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

LOL... scuba... I came here to post the same thing...

Here come the whiners.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

fiya

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 7 2008, 11:17 PM) *

i can see a few peole posting that they got ripped off cause they got a 20Gb version. i say, get over it in advanced.

this isnt really goig to be huge unless its sold at a reasonable price seperatly.

If they put the 20 gig in the arcade and sell the 60 for half the price of the 120 gig, then this would be great news

This post has been edited by fiya: Mar 7 2008, 11:50 PM

Maverick-DBZ-

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

At this point. if this is true. EVERY xbox 360 should have a HD as standard.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Maverick-DBZ- @ Mar 7 2008, 06:02 PM) *

At this point. if this is true. EVERY xbox 360 should have a HD as standard.

unfortunately, because the hd didn't come standard from launch date, devs can't depend on it being there without risking alienating all the people who bought cores from the beginning, and the arcade pack.

i personally see no use for the core other than a replacement for a dead modded premium, in which case you can use your existing harddrive on it.

scuba, i have a 20gig from launch night and i so got ripped off by it not being 60 gigs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) j/k

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »

over 2 years out from release and the standard 20 gig will only get a modest increase to 60 gig?

someone should have done some better shopping and bidding within MS to get a larger increase - especially with all of the new possible content additions with IPTV and such coming...

we'll see how this pans out soon enough...

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

It would be nice if the Arcade had a 20GB drive, Premium 60GB then Elite as 120GB then that would make HDD's mandatory across all skus, only problem is you would still have to cater for them people without HDD's.

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

Not to sound too harsh about it but why bother?  Let the devs do what they want.  If they want a game to rely on the HDD then say on the box that its required.  Theres no point walking on eggshells around the people without HDDs.  It was a mistake not having them in all SKUs from the start so why not rectify it?  If they bring out a 60gb there will be a lot more 20gbs preowned on sale and everyone can get one.  Mines cost me £50 and that was long before the 120 came out, I dont think it'll cost much to get one now, and it'll just be the cost of keeping up to date.

Lets face it, we've all had to upgrade PCs time and again for some game... will a single payment to get full use of the 360 really bother that many?

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

I wish they would just do away with the hard drive DRM tie-in and sell a hard drive enclosure.

adgloride

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

Hopefully with this new M$ will reduce the prices of the 20gb hard drive new, and people will also sell them second hand.  Then NO ONE will have an excuse not to have a hard drive.  Its just a shame its 60gb and not 120gb and it coming down to a reasonable price, if you want to buy it on its own.  Maybe then they can release a cheap PVR attachment for the 360.

Merc178

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

Not to whine or anything but (here comes the whine) i bought a brand new xbox 360 premium with hdmi like 1 week ago, ummm if this is done this month, do i get something back? if they do drop the price. i don't care about the bigger hardrive thought is really good news.

Not that i use Apple products, but they don't seem to forget about their customers when they drop the prices on their stuff or upgrade their OS. saying that you bought the mac or the ipod 1 month or so before the price droped or new OS when up.

juan_2006

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Merc178 @ Mar 7 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Not to whine or anything but (here comes the whine) i bought a brand new xbox 360 premium with hdmi like 1 week ago, ummm if this is done this month, do i get something back? if they do drop the price. i don't care about the bigger hardrive thought is really good news.

Not that i use Apple products, but they don't seem to forget about their customers when they drop the prices on their stuff or upgrade their OS. saying that you bought the mac or the ipod 1 month or so before the price droped or new OS when up.

Why not just take the 360 back and wait and see if it does happen???

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Merc178 @ Mar 8 2008, 02:18 AM) *

It should be a while before we see them, still. I'm pretty sure the main reason behind the increase is because 20GB drives are harder to come by the millions.

gthesob

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

The article mentions a European price drop. Any chance it'll happening here in the US at the same time?