xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Xbox Repair  (Read 534 times)

stephensont

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« on: October 09, 2003, 05:48:00 AM »

Hey all-
 I hosed my xbox motherboard trying to get the damn soldering method to work.  Talked to a guy that repairs boards and said that it would be 70-80 bucks to fix.  I figured I might as well get a new mobo for that price.  So, here's the deal.  I want to get my x2.2 pro installed via headerpin.  I had it working with the pogopin adapter but that just sucks after having to readjust it every week.  However, unless someone can repair for a lot cheaper than 70-80 I am going to need a new motherboard.  I could find one and order it myself, but I was wondering if any legit installers (with experience and good feedback) had new motherboards in stock where I could just ship my screwed up xbox with the chip and they could do everything there and send it back.  If so, I would like some estimates for the cost.  I appreciate everyones help and hope to do business with someone shortly.  Any replies, post here or email me.  Thank you.

Travis

P.S.  I screwed up my headerpin (which is the method i would like to install with) so I would need a new one.  I'm sure that's not a problem for most experienced modders, but just to let you know.

cYon

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »

Can you post a pick of the damaged board?

stephensont

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 06:28:00 AM »

Yeah, I'll put it on when I get off work at noon

RustyDog

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 07:13:00 AM »

Since you said you had the chip installed and working, if you upgraded the harddrive or even if you were using the original harddrive still and it was locked to the motherboard then you won't be able to use it with another motherboard unles you unlock it first.
If you upgraded the harddrive and can't get it unlocked then you may want to stick with getting the motherboard repaired.
Just my 2 cents.
RustyDog

stephensont

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »

I appreciate the info Rusty.  I have not upgraded the hd.  I am using the original.  I just use the xbox for things like emus and xbmp mainly.  I have backed up my games to dvd+r's as well.  I have not messed with locking or unlocking the hd at all.  I just haven't looked into it much for I didn't have the need.  Will I still have problems putting that original hd with a new mobo?  I guess if that is the case, I will have to have someone unlock the drive too, right?  I guess its no big deal, I don't have a lot of shit on my drive, but it would be convenient to be able to use the one that I have now.

RustyDog

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »

Unless you have a back up of your Xbox C drive with the back up folder info in it or have the harddrive passord written down somewhere there's no way to unlock the harddrive without the original motherboard.
If you can't unlock it, it won't work with another motherboard.
RustyDog

cYon

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »

I say repair the mobo! What exactly is wrong with it? Solder Splash, Burnt Trace, Or?

stephensont

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

Alright, I finally got a few pics for you guys.  There are two here from different angles that shows the LPC and d0 points.  The third one shows a trace that I think might be bad.  As you can tell, I tried to use the alternate d0 point for the last install here.  Let me know what you think.  Too much money and I would rather just get a new mobo.  I have an original backup of my hd, but not one since I've added all my apps.  Is there any way I can unlock it with that?  Thanks for all your help guys.

(IMG:http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL157/1518916/2900795/35420540.jpg)
(IMG:http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL157/1518916/2900795/35420537.jpg)
(IMG:http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL157/1518916/2900795/35420530.jpg)

Alkane

• Archived User
Need Xbox Repair
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 04:34:00 PM »

If your Xbox is a v1.0 I can recover your Xbox EEPROM from your broken motherboard and unlock your hard drive.  

I also have a v1.2 motherboard I can give you for $70 and switch out your v1.0/1.1 power supply with the matching v1.2 power supply free.  I have no pin headers here but can wire your mod-chip using the wire method.

I sell premodified consoles and have many references throughout my old thread here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...12&t=79286&st=0

If the motherboard in the picture is a v1.1 I can give you the original hard drive that went with the v1.2 motherboard free and setup the dashboard or install software you include on a disc.

v1.2 motherboard (plus power supply swap and original hard drive if needed) - $70
Labor - $25
Total excluding return shipping - $95

I charge $12.50 for return UPS ground shipping with a tracking number.  PM me back if you're interested.

This post has been edited by Alkane: Oct 9 2003, 11:51 PM