xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Today Show Warns Consumers To Stay Away From Xbox 360  (Read 86 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Today Show Warns Consumers To Stay Away From Xbox 360
« on: July 27, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 27 21:07 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From loot-ninja.com:

I have the Today Show on this morning, for God only knows what reason. They had a segment on about video games, again, who knows why.

The interesting part of the segment is that their "tech guru" told consumers to stay away from the Xbox 360 because of the massive hardware problems. He let everyone know that Microsoft issued a 3 year warranty extension amounting to $1 billion. The "tech guru" indicated that is is the same as a recall without the legal issues surrounding an actual recall. Microsoft would not confirm to him what is causing the hardware problems, but he advised all consumers to not buy an Xbox 360 until at least the end of the year.

Full Story: loot-ninja.com
Another 'less extreme view' of what the show reported is available on wired.com

Antitoxidote

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

Inaccurate story from loot-ninja. The "tech guru" never once tells consumers to stay away from Xbox 360, he even compliments the wide assortment of games the 360 has to offer. Also says Xbox 360 is #1 at the moment.

gugudelaroche

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

still a punch in the face , and by the way as soon as the ps3 can be modded , the 360 is goin down the drain!!!

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

True or not true, this story online alone is just more of the same: BLAH BLAH BLAH, Xbox 360, BLAH BLAH BLAH, 3 red lights, BLAH BLAH BLAH, failure rates, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

I'm getting so sick of it. Everyone in the media just needs to stop talking about this kind of crap.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »

Here is the article with a link to the video clip.  He does not tell people to stay away from the 360.  
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19975607

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »

loot-ninja?

FCTE

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(gugudelaroche @ Jul 27 2007, 08:39 PM) *
as soon as the ps3 can be modded , the 360 is goin down the drain!!!

What are you talking about?

The PS3 is the most mod friendly console ever made IMHO.

You can put any size laptop hard drive you want in the PS3, and with an adapter a 3.5 drive. You can use all kinds of 3rd party USB peripherals with it including external hard drives and optical drives.

You can install Linux and Windows XP via emulation (QEMU) through Linux on it.

North Carolina University has already made a super computing cluster out of PS3s.

The 360 does better because the majority of people buy a gaming console....................to game.

This post has been edited by FCTE: Jul 28 2007, 03:28 AM

xnoelahg

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(FCTE @ Jul 28 2007, 03:22 AM) *

What are you talking about?

The PS3 is the most mod friendly console ever made IMHO.

You can put any size laptop hard drive you want in the PS3, and with an adapter a 3.5 drive. You can use all kinds of 3rd party USB peripherals with it including external hard drives and optical drives.

You can install Linux and Windows XP via emulation (QEMU) through Linux on it.

North Carolina University has already made a super computing cluster out of PS3s.

The 360 does better because the majority of people buy a gaming console....................to game.

Exactly why I don't own one, yet. As it stands, my PC outclasses the PS3(sans the bluray), and since my interest is in games, I will wait for some that I want before I gotta have one. Maybe if I could get a large hdd and interface serato on the ps3, I'd invest in one solely for that.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »

Sony and nintendo probably paying off people and putting out millions to tarnish the 360s rep

This post has been edited by BoNg420: Jul 28 2007, 04:15 AM

GandyMan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Antitoxidote @ Jul 28 2007, 02:16 AM) *

Inaccurate story from loot-ninja. The "tech guru" never once tells consumers to stay away from Xbox 360, he even compliments the wide assortment of games the 360 has to offer. Also says Xbox 360 is #1 at the moment.

He does not really say to stay away from it but the report does say fans might have to go without for a long time. Almost everything he says about the "recall" is a total lie. It makes the average person think they can take their system back for any reason. And to say the PS3 has the best tech and is the most advanced is by far the truth. I can not believe they just told everyone watching that show that there is a recall and made it seem like it effects every system. He even goes on to say the PS3 has a lower price point because of the recall and does not say it is because they have a hard time selling them.

fierygt

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »

True or not true, this story online alone is just more of the same: BLAH BLAH BLAH, Xbox 360, BLAH BLAH BLAH, 3 red lights, BLAH BLAH BLAH, failure rates, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

I'm getting so sick of it. Everyone in the media just needs to stop talking about this kind of crap.

Had the media not drawn attention to it, there is a pretty good chance Microsoft would STILL be in denial, and those that have/had/will have this problem would be further ignored.  It is a good thing that media outlets catch on to the issue, and aware people...not everyone catches the first or second stories about it, not everyone reads/watches the same shows/print, and not everyone checks xbox.com to know that their console warranty has been extended.

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(fierygt @ Jul 28 2007, 12:22 AM) *

Had the media not drawn attention to it, there is a pretty good chance Microsoft would STILL be in denial, and those that have/had/will have this problem would be further ignored.  It is a good thing that media outlets catch on to the issue, and aware people...not everyone catches the first or second stories about it, not everyone reads/watches the same shows/print, and not everyone checks xbox.com to know that their console warranty has been extended.

AGREED!

spook727

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

This is the TODAY SHOW we're talking about.  How many people who would buy a 360 really watch this show for an opinion?  Their audience is the Wii crowd.  The only way this would affect 360 sales would be if it's a kid asking for a 360 and the parent watched this report without really knowing anything about the gaming scene.

As for the ongoing discussion about which system is better, It's the same now as it was a year ago before the PS3 was launched.  Back then, it was "You can wait until September for a system that may or may not be better than the XBox 360 or you can have the XBox 360 NOW with a few good games".  I made my jump to the 360 when the price was announced.

Now, it's "you can wait until next year for some good exclusives or you can have some good exclusives on the 360 NOW" or "You can wait indefinitely for GT5 which may or may not be better than Forza 2 or you can be playing Forza 2 NOW".

Make your jump depending on how patient you are.

LostIt

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

BoNg420
Sony and nintendo probably paying off people and putting out millions to tarnish the 360s rep

Are you a Micro$hit fan boy or what? I LOVE the original XBox but M$ has proven they could care less about it's users by denying the enormous amount of issues with the 360 until recently (which they still play down.) My first 360 died within a week. Thanks Micro$hit for the non-existent quality control!

The PS3 is still too expensive and I agree with xnoelahg. My PC is still better than any system out there. M$ is lucky I had already invested over $400 on it (games and peripherals) before it crapped the bed the first time. If it happens again, I'll be happy I spent that $20 to buy the wireless adapter for my PC that allows me to use my wireless 360 peripherals (force feedback wheel, controllers, headset...)

This post has been edited by LostIt: Jul 28 2007, 06:35 AM