xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Live Ban/ Media Center  (Read 82 times)

scraggers

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« on: May 27, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(bubbagump102 @ May 27 2007, 01:39 PM) View Post

guys i turned my 360 on this morning and got banned which im not to bothered about but i cant connect to my media center pc to watch films and stuff is there a work around??

Are you sure this has anything to do with the ban?  If you are banned it's because M$ say you are in breach of ToS.  Be that the case you will not be able to connect to the Live service.  I would be really surprised if this also meant you could'nt use the 360 as an extender.  Using the Media Centre extender does not require connecting to Live.  It all runs on your local network...

If M$ are restricting services on the local machine as well as the Live service they would be opening up a whole new can of worms!  Using your 360 as an extender has nothing to do with how you use the Live service.  Why would they cripple it?

I would check your local network connections and firewall settings...

ze_olc

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »

media extender needs you to be connected to live in order to work (since connecting to live basically means be connected to local network too). i know, it sounds stupid but thats the way it is... so yeah, banned console = no more extender!  ohmy.gif

bubbagump102

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »

this is no good has anyone had the same problems then

deadparrot

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(ze_olc @ May 27 2007, 03:18 PM) View Post

media extender needs you to be connected to live in order to work (since connecting to live basically means be connected to local network too). i know, it sounds stupid but thats the way it is... so yeah, banned console = no more extender!  ohmy.gif

Umm... No?

Just because a machine is connected to a network does not mean it HAS to access the internet.  You can run an internal network just fine without a WAN connection.

However, to eliminate this possible issue, you could attempt to set up your router to block the 360's WAN access based on its MAC address.

tracy2420

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(ze_olc @ May 27 2007, 10:18 AM) View Post
media extender needs you to be connected to live in order to work (since connecting to live basically means be connected to local network too). i know, it sounds stupid but thats the way it is... so yeah, banned console = no more extender! ohmy.gif

I think that is false.  I use mine all the time without signing into live.  Also if you use vista it will pick it up automaticaly as soon as it is powered up and connected to a network. "Media Extender Found"

telo{+}

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Yea,

Not even close to true. Your box will still connect to the lan just fine.

Check network settings and see if your xbox is getting an IP and DNS jsut fine... Mine was working great till about a week after spring update, then for some reason I had to set up the IP and gateway manually. Thats probably not your problem, but check your network settings anyway

Hell, you might not be banned from live, maybe your network is just messed up

MaxP

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

connect to my media centre PC all the time without going near live.
must be a seperate issue.

bubbagump102

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »

but have any of you guys been banned after the update or what ever???

Mastershredder

• Archived User
Live Ban/ Media Center
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »

on the PC side, there is a media center extender config tool. Make sure your xbox 360 is listed and check the settings to make sure if it is configured. You can also try deleting the computer and media center connection from your 360, then running the config software on your pc again like you were setting up a brand new xbox 360. This has nothing to do with being banned.