xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ring Of Death & Towel Trick  (Read 106 times)

gunn

• Archived User
Ring Of Death & Towel Trick
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

Just wanted to post this information.   My Xbox 360 got the famous three red lights ring of death about a month ago.   The build date for the xbox is Feb 2006.   I tried that towel trick, where i wrapped it up tight for an hour and then let it cool for one hour.  ....  to make a long story short ... it worked.  Not sure how long it will last, but it is working now.    The soldering workmanship/materials on the 360 is piss poor.  The only reason that Microsoft can hide this issue, is that they have deep pockets.

DarrenR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

Indeed, if your Xbox does crap out again try the x clamp replacement.

Super-Mari0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »

what the hell is the towel trick?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

the towel trick in theory suffocates and overheats the 360 at certain points to a temperature that will remelt problematic solder joints. youre mileage may vary...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

ando2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

ahhhhhh the towel trick

well you switch your 360 on its red ringing obviously then you wrap a few towels round it and cover the vent holes with the towels leave it there for say 30 mins then let switch it off let it coll for 20 mins and switch it back on and you may have a working 360 again

lots of people have got this too work some people only get a short playing time from it though

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Apr 24 2007, 10:00 PM) *

the towel trick in theory suffocates and overheats the 360 at certain points to a temperature that will remelt problematic solder joints. youre mileage may vary...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

it doesnt remelt the solder, the thing would be on fire by the time the solder melted, it simply flexes the board causing the broken BGA balls to contact each other.

londonbroil

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »

Innit!

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

this method is among one of the worst, if not the worst, for fixing 3 red lights.

Alex Atkin UK

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »

Thank GOD I bought an extended warranty.  

Its hard to believe anyone would be THAT DESPERATE they risk setting their house on fire to fix their 360.
I mean you DO realise that overheating the 360 to this extent it could catch fire, right?  And you even provide some nice towels for it to ignite - excellent.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ May 1 2007, 03:59 PM) *

this method is among one of the worst, if not the worst, for fixing 3 red lights.

Your about 99.95 correct. I am sure another half-assed way will surface shortly