xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The 10 Commandments of a Console Launch  (Read 99 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
The 10 Commandments of a Console Launch
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | February 7 11:42 EST

From gamingnexus.com:

With the launch of the PS3 and Wii 3 months behind us, we've taken a look back at those launches and as well launch of the 360 and tried to come up with a set of new rules for the next major console launch.

1. Thou shall not force us to kill for your system, thou shall have at least 600,000 units at launch
2. Thou shall have enough accessories to go with the system
3. Honor the father and the mother, do not charge more than $350 for thy next system
4. You shall not bear false witness against your system specs
5. You shall not steal extra money from us by not including key components in the box
6. Remember a gaming day and keep it holy (release new online content on a consistent basis)
7. You shall not covet your neighbors titles, make sure you have at least three solid first party launch titles
8. You shall not commit gaming adultery, backwards compatibility should be an all or nothing deal
9. Thou should have good tech support and a solid replacement policy in place for defective units
10.  Future launches will launch with one and only one SKU

Full Story: gamingnexus.com (via joystiq.com)

R-Dawggy Dawg

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

Thou shalt sign your firmware next time and give us a challenge.

Thou shalt make your games on hard-to-find, hard-to-afford disks.

I guess M$ forgot those ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »

"Do not charge more than $350 for thy system" Right, in a perfect world Microsoft would just give us all 360s, but that doesn't happen.  The companies are losing money on the consoles to begin with, I don't know what kind of crack this guy was smoking, but that's never going to happen.

Keeping the key components in the box that comes with the system...I'm not too sure what he is talking about here, my 360 came with pretty much everything I need.  Sure, a remote would have been nice, but I really don't need it, thus it is not a key component.

Releasing content on a certain schedule is possible, that would be pretty nice.

Here we go with the backward compatibility issue again, it's not as easy as some people think.  Each game has to have it's own emulator written for it (at least in the case of the 360).  Some of the crappier programmed games are even harder to emulate, thus the reason they are not backward compatible.  Other times, if you make one game work you could cause problems with another game because of the emulation.

REDMODS

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:33 AM) *

Keeping the key components in the box that comes with the system...I'm not too sure what he is talking about here, my 360 came with pretty much everything I need.  Sure, a remote would have been nice, but I really don't need it, thus it is not a key component.

hes talking about things like the core pack not having a HDD or memory card.

vapidentity

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »

Or possibly he is talking about the Wii not coming with an HDTV cable. I mean wtf?

eX_Do0mY

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:33 AM) *

"Do not charge more than $350 for thy system" Right, in a perfect world Microsoft would just give us all 360s, but that doesn't happen.  The companies are losing money on the consoles to begin with, I don't know what kind of crack this guy was smoking, but that's never going to happen.

This was a stab against Sony.  Their PS3 is $500 and $600. Both Microsoft and Nintendo offer consoles for less than $350.  You have the Xbox 360 core system, and the Wii.

THEsirloin

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »

"Keeping the key components in the box that comes with the system"

He's on about a few things here i think.
1) PSĀ£ does not include a hdmi cable although thats its supposed main advantage over the 360.
2) The wii not coming with a hd cable.
3) And the 360 not coming with any kind of reliability at launch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by THEsirloin: Feb 7 2007, 07:08 PM

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Good point, I always forget about the Core system.  And I didn't know anything about the Wii or PS3 so I didn't really consider any of them, I was just talking about the 360.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

It's supposed to be "thou shalt".. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

cross_stix

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

I guess that would make the PS3 the biggest sinner and the Wii a saint.... Along with the 360 somewhere in between

lol

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

How about use better solder next time ?  Or, maybe even spend the extra five cents on rubber pads that mount the DVD drive.  I took apart my Wii yesterday and there are rubber pads where they drive is screwed down, whereas the 360 is just sitting on metal.  No wonder why it's loud.  Just simple things like that.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »

Seems like a good set of rules. If these are followed next round, I reckon we'll have a real good fight on our hands

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

1) Well, I mean they should do their best to get them manufactured in time. But I don't think they should delay a launch just because they are a little short on inventory. It's better to sell the ones you have made than just sit on them... At least some people can benefit with the ones they do have built.

2) Enough accessories? Man, the 360 has too much crap if you ask me lol.

3) $350? What kind of system do you want? I want something that pushes the envelope, something up there with newer PC's, and beyond. Something that will last years. I'd rather pay $600 and use it for 4-5 years, than pay $300 and think it sucks after 2 years.

4) (Looks in direction of PS3 fanboys)

5) They give you everything you need to hook it up and play a game. What else do you consider a "key component"? HDMI cables? Lol, yeah, those are "key components".

6) Agreed. Online content should be part of the launch plan. They should know what they plan on delivering, and when. That way when you buy the game you have an idea of how good of an investment it is. You can read the box where it shows a calendar and go "whoa, cool, new maps are coming next month too".

7) Who cares who makes the games, as long as there are good games at launch?

8) I'd rather have some of them work than none at all? WTF?

9) Agreed.

10) What? Why not offer choices! It's not like you can't just buy the model you want...

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Feb 7 2007, 10:13 PM) *

1) Well, I mean they should do their best to get them manufactured in time. But I don't think they should delay a launch just because they are a little short on inventory. It's better to sell the ones you have made than just sit on them... At least some people can benefit with the ones they do have built.

5) They give you everything you need to hook it up and play a game. What else do you consider a "key component"? HDMI cables? Lol, yeah, those are "key components".

10) What? Why not offer choices! It's not like you can't just buy the model you want...

"A little short on inventory"???

C'mon, this bullshit of a launch date and not having enough consoles to suit demand is unacceptable.

They do this to either hit Christmas buying or to build demand by having an artificial shortage.

People keep saying the shortages aren't artificial but that is crap. If you only have 100,000 units manufactured then you aren't ready for 'launch', so choosing to launch with hardly any product *is* creating an artificial shortage. There would be no shortage if you set an achievable launch date, so the shortages are purely artificial.

This time round it caused many crimes that would not have happened had there been plenty of stock available.
Whipping people up with artificial shortages is just irresponsible.

"They give you everything you need"

Not if you bought a core system they don't - you can't even save your game progress.

"offer choices"
All they are offering is confusion and a false price point. Parents fall for the 'core' system and then end up having to spend more than the proper 360 just to make it usable. They get a cheap sticker price to sucker people in, and all we get as consumers is pissed off developers and sub par games.
Because the bloody core exists developers can't assume you have a hard drive and the games suffer accordingly.

bullitt464

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

xbox-scene is really running out of things to talk about, huh