xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Moore, Satchell savage 'talentless' Sony at CES  (Read 99 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Moore, Satchell savage 'talentless' Sony at CES
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 10 14:21 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, the Peter Moore and Chris Satchell (two senior Microsoft executives) branded the Japanese firm's online service for the newly-launched console a "disaster" and said the company lacks the talent and the "DNA" to ever deliver a suitable online console service for consumers.
"It's going to take [Sony] a couple of years to get up to speed on this, and I'm not sure that they necessarily have the talent, or it's built into who they are as a company," Moore said.

Satchell bore similar sentiments. "If I wanted to make my online service better, and I wanted to give [Sony] a little piece of advice, it would be to copy Xbox Live a little more closely," he said.
"My honest opinion is that it's pretty much a disaster. They keep saying that they have a free service. Well, if they don't have anything, of course it's free. And you know what: what's free about $600?"

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

Some hot opinions for sure.

I don't totally agree with all that.  I'm sure they have the talent.  BUT, what has made this all a "disaster" is their persistent efforts to be different than M$ and LIVE.  Swollow your pride, $ony, and admit M$ got the online thing right.  There's no harm in it.

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

Wow, some very sharp-tongued words for sure.

However, they are probably being very very nice because their statements are too true.  The PS3 online experience is terrible.  Interface is poorly designed and clunky to navigate and there really is almost no content there at all.  Sure, it is in its infancy, but they really have to grow up fast, because things aren't looking good for Sony overall...but I do like their cameras (still and video)...

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

I have to agree with most of what they are saying, exept the talent thing.

The PS3 really does have a toatal crap online experiance it runs like a bad web page, you think they could have at least got that right.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

lol, this kind of thing isn't too surprising.

I will agree that the PS3 online store is no where near it needs to be, but we all knew that as it was launched only several months ago.  That said I'm sure we'll see some pretty good things in the future from Sony in regards to their online store.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Jan 10 2007, 10:13 PM

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

That's very arrogant for both of them to say stuff like that. To tell anyone that they lack talent or DNA is very immature. No matter who you are or what you do that kind of talk is not right. Any person in a workplace environment in the western world could claim discrimination for saying things like that.

Yes Xbox LIVE is great but that doesn't mean it's the very best way of doing things. "If I wanted to make my online service better, and I wanted to give [Sony] a little piece of advice, it would be to copy Xbox Live a little more closely". That's just arrogant. I was there when Xbox LIVE first started and it had it's problems as well.

And the whole $600 comment is lacking a few facts. For example if you were to purchase an Xbox 360 with a HD-DVD player it would cost you more than the price of a PS3 with High Definition DVD already built-in (BluRay). Lets not forget all the other features built into the PS3 that the Xbox 360 doesn't have. The fact is the Xbox 360 is the more expensive console in every way.

I'd love to own an Xbox 360 but when two senior Microsoft executives talk like that it just puts me off.

postaldude25

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

Sony is in a really bad situation and the know it over there in Japan.

If the did not loose millions or maybe billions of dollars i think that they would do the PS3 all over from scrath again.

They had bigg plans and hopes but it turned out to be shit, just a few games not many exclusive games. and none worthy console seller.  even performece wise the 360 is a better product and dont forget it launched 1 year before the 360.

Here in europe it will be 16 months after the 360. call me a 360fanboy but i hope that they delay it even more just so they can feel a little more sad for all the fuckups they had with the PS3.

they will NEVER have a good online experience. they looked into it a few years to late.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(postaldude25 @ Jan 10 2007, 04:38 PM) *

Sony is in a really bad situation and the know it over there in Japan.

If the did not loose millions or maybe billions of dollars i think that they would do the PS3 all over from scrath again.

They had bigg plans and hopes but it turned out to be shit, just a few games not many exclusive games. and none worthy console seller.  even performece wise the 360 is a better product and dont forget it launched 1 year before the 360.

Here in europe it will be 16 months after the 360. call me a 360fanboy but i hope that they delay it even more just so they can feel a little more sad for all the fuckups they had with the PS3.

they will NEVER have a good online experience. they looked into it a few years to late.

lol, you are a fanboy.  Never have a good online experience?  I have no problem playing games online with the PS3 and having a good online experience.  Are you talking about media downloads, Sony has plans for that, but media deals take time to complete.  Yeah there are currently only a few games available and not m/any worth buying a console for, but the 360 was the same way during its launch.  You people have short, or 0, memory.  Somebody posted a nice list of PS3 exclusives, but I'm too lazy to find it and post it here and really you won't change your mind.

God forbid Sony gets out of the console business....have fun with MS.

griffin XXI

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Jan 10 2007, 02:38 PM) *

That's very arrogant for both of them to say stuff like that. To tell anyone that they lack talent or DNA is very immature. No matter who you are or what you do that kind of talk is not right. Any person in a workplace environment in the western world could claim discrimination for saying things like that.

Yes Xbox LIVE is great but that doesn't mean it's the very best way of doing things. "If I wanted to make my online service better, and I wanted to give [Sony] a little piece of advice, it would be to copy Xbox Live a little more closely". That's just arrogant. I was there when Xbox LIVE first started and it had it's problems as well.

And the whole $600 comment is lacking a few facts. For example if you were to purchase an Xbox 360 with a HD-DVD player it would cost you more than the price of a PS3 with High Definition DVD already built-in (BluRay). Lets not forget all the other features built into the PS3 that the Xbox 360 doesn't have. The fact is the Xbox 360 is the more expensive console in every way.

I'd love to own an Xbox 360 but when two senior Microsoft executives talk like that it just puts me off.

Yeah it is rather off-putting isn't it? They sound like catty teenage girls. But I do love my 360.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »

I'm not going to engage in some stupid pissing contest here.

Bob, you called someone a fanboy, and end your post with this:
God forbid Sony gets out of the console business....have fun with MS.

Gimme a break.

Everybody stop with the "you're a fanboy" line.

Now on to something that has some importance to it...
postaldude25, you say
I don't totally agree.  If they keep their current model, then it will not be as good as LIVE.  BUT, if they swallow their pride and shift to be a little more like the M$ online service, then they can be redeemed.  The only problem is they'll NEED to charge something for it, and they've come out WAY too publicly that they "WON'T" charge for it.  They've put themselves in a lose-lose situation regarding the online service:

Keep it free, and its quality will suffer.  Charge for it, and see everyone call them liars.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Jan 10 2007, 08:38 PM) *

No matter who you are or what you do that kind of talk is not right. Any person in a workplace environment in the western world could claim discrimination for saying things like that.

Who really cares. Nothing wrong with a bit of trash talk between two rival companies. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and how exactly is this discimination?.

Do you usually buy electronic goods based on the senior executives views of the rival company?.

Jagosix

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

Hello Fellow Gamer. SOny has made comments way worse than what M$ has done.
There are some features  that are built into the X360 that the PS3 doesn't have. It dpends on what FEATURES that you like in a console. The Fact is that the PS3 is a more expensive console on the store shelf.
I own a X360, But all the crap SONY has stated in the past put me off long ago.

This post has been edited by Jagosix: Jan 10 2007, 11:12 PM

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Jan 10 2007, 02:38 PM) *

If you look at the cost of the two 360 SKU's, plus the cost of the HD-DVD addon, and the cost of the two PS3 SKU's, you'll find that the price between the core and premium versions of each system is basically nothing.

Core 360 ($300) plus HD-DVD addon ($200) = $500 = 20GB PS3
Premium 360 ($400) plus HD-DVD addon ($200) = $600 = 60GB PS3

Yes there are some extra features the PS3 does have that the 360 doesn't, but most of those aren't crucial things. Personally, I think the idea of having the Hi-def player separate from the system is better. Not everyone cares about playing high def video on their consoles, so why should have to pay more for something they don't need?. Personally, I hate how Sony and MS progressively try and make their systems all-in-one devices/PC's. It just increases the number of bugs and things that can go wrong with the system and makes it more expensive. I understand the convenience of it, but at the same time, I think video game systems should be made to play games.

Do you really base your decision to buy a product based on the opinions and attitudes of the employees of the company? I might think of a few situations where that kind of opinion is practical and understandable, but video game systems should be about video games, not about the attitudes of the company's executives.

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Jan 10 2007, 03:38 PM) *

hate to break it to you, but that's business.  also, it's a good thing to have confidence in the product you support...I'd be weary of any executive who didn't...wouldn't you?

A little trash talk in any environment is healthy....keeps things "fresh".

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »

The really useless posts are gone.
I really DON'T want to see this thread closed.  Please keep on-topic, somewhat intelligent, and civil.