xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blu-ray HD-DVD Stalemate may Boost Dual-Format Devices  (Read 83 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Blu-ray HD-DVD Stalemate may Boost Dual-Format Devices
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 17 01:07 EST

From digitimes.com:

The stalemate in the Blu-ray Disc (BD) and HD DVD battle to become the mainstream blue-laser DVD standard may encourage makers to offer dual-format optical disc devices compatible with both formats, according to Taiwanese makers concerned.

Samsung Electronics has planned to offer dual-format recorders that can record and play back BD and HD DVD movies, the sources pointed out. Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HLDS), a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, is considering production of dual-format devices, the sources indicated, noting that a dual-format device would be more expensive than a single-format device.

Full Story: digitimes.com

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:41:00 PM »

...and they're just now figuring this out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Why do we let these idiots run our major coporations? The consumers have been waiting for someone to say "we don't know so we'll support both" since the day after the two formats were announced.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Dec 17 2006, 06:41 AM

gordita37

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »

Well im guessing its going cost more than either one that just supports one of the formats, will you be buying the dual support? I'll be sticking with HD.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

i have a feeling HD will pull ahead. its still way too early to say that its a stalemate.

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »

How can it be considered a stale mate when they were just released the other day

This post has been edited by rasstar: Dec 17 2006, 07:35 AM

youloseagain

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »

Wasnt there a contract official blu ray manufacturers had to sign with a clause saying they wouldnt produce a blu ray / hd dvd machine? Does this mean they finally got rid of it?

But the conflict goes far deeper. The rules that govern the organisations touting the different technologies currently bar manufacturers from combining the two standards into a single drive, Weedfald said.

"The conundrum is that you've got two different camps. You've got licensing issues, you've got trademarks, you've got copyrights," he said. "You can't just be on the Blu-ray side and say, 'We will put HD DVD in there,' and the reverse is true."

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners...40059580,00.htm

This post has been edited by youloseagain: Dec 17 2006, 09:27 AM

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(gordita37 @ Dec 17 2006, 07:00 AM) *

Well im guessing its going cost more than either one that just supports one of the formats, will you be buying the dual support? I'll be sticking with HD.

You haven't learned much from the DVD Burner formats have you?  For a long time the + and - formats issue tore loyalties and made things complex.  Then in early 2003 Sony introduced the DRU-500A (which supported both formats), yes it cost about twice as much as the single format competitors but now virtually all DVD Burners support both + and - formats and cost a whopping $32 shipped.  The same will be true with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.  IMHO Blu-Ray currently has the edge by a narrow margin as far as I am concerned.  I can purchase a Lite-On Blu-Ray Reader/Burner drive for $600, I can write up to 25GB of space on the disc and hook up my LCD TV to my PC and watch what I have burned.  I have yet to see an HD DVD Burner (and certainly not for that price) that will allow me to do all that for $600 or less.  Either way though I will probably hold out for a dual format drive.

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: Dec 17 2006, 09:55 AM

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Dec 17 2006, 10:01 AM) *

You haven't learned much from the DVD Burner formats have you?  For a long time the + and - formats issue tore loyalties and made things complex.  Then in early 2003 Sony introduced the DRU-500A (which supported both formats), yes it cost about twice as much as the single format competitors but now virtually all DVD Burners support both + and - formats and cost a whopping $32 shipped.  The same will be true with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.  IMHO Blu-Ray currently has the edge by a narrow margin as far as I am concerned.  I can purchase a Lite-On Blu-Ray Reader/Burner drive for $600, I can write up to 25GB of space on the disc and hook up my LCD TV to my PC and watch what I have burned.  I have yet to see an HD DVD Burner (and certainly not for that price) that will allow me to do all that for $600 or less.  Either way though I will probably hold out for a dual format drive.

i agree that blu-ray is better for data, but i've seen a demo of hd-dvd and blu-ray sidebyside at my best buy, both on the same tv (and i'm hoping they were both set the same) and hd-dvd looked better than blu-ray.  blu-ray looked good, it was high quality, but hd-dvd just looked sharper, cleaner and more alive.  I should have challenged to see if the settings were the same....

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

- Single smiley face courtesy of xboxexpert, whatever he's doing now

Seriously though, the smiley face is named "boring" and it fits this news topic just fine.

Justincredibal

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »

Or......

You could wait a few months, maybe a year, to see which one will last. How we let companies pull slick ones over on us like this I will never know.

Who rembers Betamax v. VHS!?

I say we just buy the cheapier one.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 06:31:00 AM »

Making an uber-expensive dual-format drive would be like telling the movie studios "you win."

I say screw that.

New articles are pointing out how HD-DVD is already winning consumer approval over Blu-Ray and that HD-DVD will win the 'war' unless Blu-Ray forces them both to lose.

HD-DVD ftw!

http://www.hddvd.org/

mole1012000

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 07:05:00 AM »

Personally i am going to go with HD-DVD, why?
Well just about every sony format has failed: memory stick, umd etc etc.

and this is also a waste of time, its kinda like saying "lets have a thread for fanboys and everyone on here thats anti sony". With these things i just say wait to see what happens. You can do your voteing with which one you spend your cash on.

Mole

*edit* also just for the record, on last gen, i like my consoles so i had a Gamecube,ps2 and xbox. This time round i have a xbox 360 so far, and might get a wii and/or a ps3 when i can afford it or it comes down in price.

This post has been edited by mole1012000: Dec 17 2006, 03:07 PM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »

I don't know if this really matters that much for me - a dual format player will definitely cost more than $1000 - I already have a PS3 and 360, so I'm just $200 short of being able to play both formats already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Dec 17 2006, 03:26 PM

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »

I forgot to mention...

More and more studios are starting to (or going to start) releasing their HD transfers on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Some have already done it, some will be doing it within a couple weeks or less, and some have announced those that will be released this way in the future.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

But the conflict goes far deeper. The rules that govern the organisations touting the different technologies currently bar manufacturers from combining the two standards into a single drive, Weedfald said.

"The conundrum is that you've got two different camps. You've got licensing issues, you've got trademarks, you've got copyrights," he said. "You can't just be on the Blu-ray side and say, 'We will put HD DVD in there,' and the reverse is true."
Just another way of big business screwing the consumer. It's making a come back like it did in the early 1900's.

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Dec 17 2006, 07:38 AM) *

Making an uber-expensive dual-format drive would be like telling the movie studios "you win."
Actually, that is like telling the consumer "you win, and screw everyone else who only cares about themselves." BTW... eventually it will be cheap. We;re still talking about electronics here.

QUOTE(mole1012000 @ Dec 17 2006, 08:12 AM) *

Personally i am going to go with HD-DVD, why?
Well just about every sony format has failed: memory stick, umd etc etc.
The difference this time is that it's not just sony backing it. Memory stick, umd, etc. all are sony exclusive... as well was the betamax. This would be a similar move as if apple went to a few other computer manufacturers and told them we'll finally let you license macintosh and allow you to build them.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Dec 17 2006, 04:42 PM