xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Sony Slams Microsoft TV Deals  (Read 708 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Sony Slams Microsoft TV Deals
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Nov 8 2006, 06:18 AM) View Post

PS3 is a multimedia platform labeled as console/computer.
Probably PS3 will be a good console too but it's essentially a multimedia platform (Blue ray, hard disk, download service, memory card reader, bluetooth, wireless and so on) and his price is just too high for a console, but centered for a decent multimedia component.

You make a good point.  Sony has been trying to make a multimedia center/hub for quite a while.

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 03:26:00 AM »

More than this some of the random messages from sony representatives told about "buy any hard disk and put it in", "link any USB device you like", "add things to the base version".
This is quite odd for a console but has a lot of sense (and juice) for a multimedia device.
So you've to hook something to your shiny new HDTV set to do a lot of things.
Buy a PS3, link via bluetooth to your ADSL/cable, download films and stuff.
Got low on hdd space ? Buy a new hard disk.
Got satellite/cable/other hi def ? Buy the connector and put on a USB port.
One is not enough ? Add an USB HDD.
Your photo ? Put in the CF reader.
Need more connectivity ? Go to bluetooth!

This isn't something you are expecting from a console, but it's definitely something valuable from a set top box.

At the end of the day you can also put in some PSX/PS2/PS3 game and play... as an added feature.

Aerok

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(SteveNZ @ Nov 8 2006, 02:50 AM) View Post

So Sony _aren't_ selling a separate low-end unit with no WiFI, no card reader and a "tiny" 20GB hard drive then? Guess not cos that might "segregate" people. Oh, hang on, they are selling one, guess they're talking out their a$$es again.

Xbox360 core + HDD + HD-DVD = roughly same as PS3 premium. No win.

There is no segration, wifi is totally optional as the low-end unit will still have ethernet ports. Car readers are also totally optional as I really doubt any games or movies will use them, as for the 20GIGs, it's enough for gameplay and few movies, and it can always be upgraded for a low price.

XBOX360 + HDD + HD-DVD < PS3 PREMIUM, 60 gigs, wifi, bluetooth, card reader, blue-ray games, etc.

Far from being the same.

You sir are a pure XBOX fanboy, grow up.

Vipernig

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

Sony is retarted and missed the wholeboat. If the core people what movies, they just have to go buy a hard drive. That is IF THEY WANT. And hell they can be lucky and have an option to choose a bigger HD not like us who are "stuck" with a 20GB HD. Sony is pissed that MS is actually doing that before them. LOL

chedabob

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

Sony are just knarked cos they wish they'd thought of it first. And its too late for them to copy in time for launch, cos they are too busy trying to polish their "xbox live killer".

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zapin @ Nov 8 2006, 02:11 AM) View Post

from what I understand there are internal differences in the two main PS3 SKUs that would make an equitable upgrade path unlikely.

That's not correct.  You can upgrade the core PS3 to match the specs of the premium PS3.  Usually with USB connected 3rd party devices.

biabia8659

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »

Its not so much MS "killing up all previously exclusive PS3 titles" as developers are dropping more and more money in to game developement and realizing that sticking to one console isn't the smartest financial move. It's lot easier to recoup the 40 million dollar development cost when selling games for both systems.

Last i heard it cost 10 million to make Gears of War...  biggrin.gif

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Uradox @ Nov 9 2006, 04:12 PM) View Post

Regardless which side of the argument I’d support, I still think its pretty sad for a company as large as sony to have to talk down its competitor. If they are making such a superior product they should be focusing on their product and not attempting to generate negative hype on the xbox 360.

In most markets in Australia companies are very careful when advertising their products in a competitive environment. Many claim to make the best product but none specifically name a competing product in comparison. At least not the blunt methods sony are doing. Very bad business management imho

I've seen more slag from Microsoft staff about the PS3 than I have Sony about the 360. Way way way more. All the big guns do it. Look at Coke and Pepsi. It is sad though you are right.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(biabia8659 @ Nov 9 2006, 12:16 AM) View Post

Last i heard it cost 10 million to make Gears of War...  biggrin.gif

lol and....

by the way GOW will also be available on th PC, another platform to help absorb cost.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]