xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: MS Denies EA Employee Claim of High Failure Rates Among X360s  (Read 161 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
MS Denies EA Employee Claim of High Failure Rates Among X360s
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | August 25 21:11 EST

From gamedaily.com:

Yesterday we were tipped off by an employee of a major publisher who claimed that the Xbox 360 failure rate--at least within his studio--has been much higher than Microsoft has stated failure rates to be (around 3-5%). The employee suggested that the failure rates were actually as high as 30-50% among the 300 or so consoles they received. He also noted that Capcom's Dead Rising seemed to be making the problem worse, with many of the consoles getting much hotter than usual.

Although our source wished to keep his company name out of it, the bigwigs at Microsoft apparently sniffed it out as an Electronic Arts employee. Responding to this employee's letter, a Microsoft representative told GameDaily BIZ, "We can confirm that the letter was neither endorsed nor approved by Electronic Arts. At this point we have no reason to believe that the claims made in the letter are based on factual data as opposed to being just an individual opinion."

The rep continued, addressing the 30-50% claim, "We can't speak directly to the situation at EA and the conditions of use of each one of our consoles and would encourage you to contact them directly. What we can tell you is that the vast majority of Xbox 360 owners are having an outstanding experience with their new systems. Each incident is unique and these customer inquires are being handled on a case-by-case basis. We have not seen anything out of the ordinary in the current return situation that we experience."

As for Dead Rising's role in this, Capcom doesn't seem to think there's any issue with the game leading to overheating. A spokesperson told us, "The game works under the specs of the 360 system and was approved by Microsoft. For anyone having issues with hardware, we have referred them to contact Microsoft for hardware support."

Read More:gamedaily.com

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

Maybe a fellow xbox owning UPS and DHL employee can leak some numbers about deliveries to McAllen, TX.

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

"majority of Xbox 360 owners are having an outstanding experience"
Yeah.. that's why I am scared that one of these days I am going to turn on my 360 and it not boot.
I don't believe MSs 3-5% shit either. I used to but as of late...

This post has been edited by proger: Aug 26 2006, 02:10 AM

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

ive owned 3 and only 1 was bad.. so far

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

2 owned here.. both fine.

I do think that the 3%-5% is bull... closer to 20% Id say...As in every 1 of every 5 360s bought gets returned/f'd up/etc

This post has been edited by sicknasty413: Aug 26 2006, 02:27 AM

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

Gawd, re-reading what MS said over again makes me laugh at their choice of words.

" At this point we have no reason to believe that the claims made in the letter are based on factual data as opposed to being just an individual opinion."

Lets take a look at this.

" At this point we have no reason to believe that the claims made " <- ok, right off the bat, denial.  They start to wave the BS flag and try to sound authoritative at that.  ...lets continue.

"...claims made in the letter are based on factual data as opposed to being just an individual opinion." <- here MS draws the line.  MS is telling the world that they make decisions based on fact rather than opinion.  So, from this, I'm gathering that MS believes that individual opinions don't mean squat.

But lets take a look at these MS jabronies.  Lets look at this scenarios.  Theres a staff meeting at MS that involves a group of people and that group of people just happens to include a few people from the group that came up with the above announcement, not all of the people, but just a few.  This is an idea meeting and guess who is attending, ole' Billy Boy and ole' Billy Boy has an opinion about something. What are the chances Billy Boy is not going to get what he wants?  If I had billions of dollars you can rest assured I'm going to get what I want, my opinion.  And whose going to stop me?

So now looking at MS and how they deal with opinions, if your the boss, its FACT!  If your not, its FICTION.  I think that says a lot about how MS actually views people outside the company, i.e. consumers, etc.

Ok, now I'm confused.  Individual opinions don't mean squat.  The boss's, an individual, opinion get rounds of applause.  I don't get it.  It appears that MS needs to make up their mind on where they stand on opinions.  Because as it appears right now this "doesn't mean squat/does mean squat" just negates itself out and thats a contradiction.  And we all know that a contradiction is pretty much a lie.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

I believe the 30-50% (prolly higher). I've owned one Xbox 360 and so far I've sent it in 3 times for repair...I'm now on my 4th console and am getting rrod (btw, everytime I sent it in for repair I got refurbs).  There's defintely a production prob w/ these pieces of shit'!!

To everyone w/ a 360 that hasn't failed yet, beware, rrod will be knocking on your day sooner or later.

This post has been edited by gehx: Aug 26 2006, 02:50 AM

Opteron

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Mine and all my friends 360s still work just fine. Either we're just lucky or you guys are all very unlucky (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif).

Gbeav

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Buy a 360 and get the 2 year warranty and accept it will be good for 2 years with returns. Rinse, repeat.

In 2 years the next version will be cooler and better.

Bulletproof

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »

Not surprised that MS will deny this.

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »

finally a larger company telling the fucking truth, had 5 xbox 360s, 3 were bad, now they all seem to be fine.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) thank god!

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »

Yeah this is bullshit.......my 360 just broke and now I have to pay $129 to get it fixed and also I gotta pay $60.00 for a 2 year warranty.  This 3-month warranty is bullshit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)   M$ is full of it now.  I know it's much higher than 3%.  I'd say %30 or higher.  I have heard way too man cases are 360's breaking down.

This post has been edited by Mega_mil: Aug 26 2006, 02:59 AM

shanoo

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

i'm on my 3rd one... at least they gave me a free hard drive

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

I used to believe the 3-5% failure rate, but it really just can't be true.  And this recent news coming from a company employee is really suspicious as well.  I would agree with the poster above that it is probably around 20-30%.

A simple test is to search ebay for "broken xbox 360" and you will be amazed at the results...

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

My first 360 was DOA and I got a replacement. So far it's fine but to be honest it hasn't gotten much use at all. Actually, come to think of it, it's been sitting in a box since I moved a month ago. I guess i'm waiting for homebrew; more specifically XBMC.