xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem Using Xlink  (Read 141 times)

dfunked

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« on: December 09, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »

If you've got firewalls set up, you may have some trouble letting it work with XLink. See if you can configure it to allow XLink to access everything, that's if you have a firewall. If you do have a firewall, perhaps take yourself outside of the firewall for just a few minutes and test it out.

runel

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:51:00 AM »

Me and a friend have the same problem, we are unable to see any games once launching..  I have read others have the same problem, hopefully somebody from the Xlink team can try to help us out.

POST MERGED:

Hi,

Some up front info about my setup:

Dlink 614+ Router
Hard wired PC and Xbox (both static IP addresses, 192.168.0.*)
Forwarded port 34518+34519 to PC

I can log on to Xlink and browse the rooms, send messages, etc.. But as soon as I launch a game its as if im running locally only, as I can not see any of the existing systemlink games. I have tried different games with different people, and not been able to join (or see) any existing games. I have also ran xlink in safe mode (in case my ISP are running transparent proxy.. which I believ biggrin.gif e they do on port 80)

What could be wrong? Any ideas what I can try? If you need more info let me know.

On another note, I have tried XBconnect which does work, just to prove the connectivity is there. I do however think xlink/boxlink seem better.

Please help.

jz28

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (runel @ Dec 10 2003, 07:51 AM)
Me and a friend have the same problem, we are unable to see any games once launching..  I have read others have the same problem, hopefully somebody from the Xlink team can try to help us out.

dfunked is from team xlink....

heh...

btw, maybe you and a friend should try testing instead of hoping to link up a game with a stranger...perhaps someone you can reach on teh phone to troubleshoot with...

-PK-

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:54:00 PM »

I had a similar problem on my linksys router, I changed the ip to 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.1.x and it worked.  Just remember that this will expire the ip of your computer and renew it with another number (you will have to enter the virtual servers page and change all of your port forwarding to the new PC's ip adr.)

Notes to get it working:
Plug in a Cat5e UTP/Patch cable into the router & xbox.  Start up the xbox and go to the system-link "Waiting for games.." or "Searching.." screen.  Now keep messing with the router settings untill your xbox mac address shows up under DHCP Client List (shows mac addresses connected to the router); You will have to keep refreshing this page and there will be a small delay (possibly up to 2 mins).  Also, you can find out what your xbox mac address is beforehand by looking at System Settings in evox or by using the latest config magic.

Edit: Also to clear it up a little, there are No ports that need forwarded to your xbox's ip address; doesn't matter which version of xlink your using (xlink messenger, bo-xlink, xb-link).

-Natas-

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »

I have the same problem and I have a DMZ setup. I have just gave up on the whole thing as I have ran out of options and completely removing the firewall is out of the question.  sad.gif

What is really messed up is that when I first got X-link and Bo-Xlink it worked just fine and now it does not but I have not changed any settings.  ohmy.gif

runel

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 04:44:00 AM »

For anybody who has the same problems I described:

I got it working by getting the xs.exe file here:

Got A 00 0d Mac Address?

I dont know if my mac address starts with 00 0D, but i am able to connect and see the remote games now.. My MAC addresss also show up in xlink on the PC, dont think it did before.

-Natas-

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »

This got me up and running.  wink.gif

Jamrasta

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

I have an x-box with the new a000d mac address, i've been using the XS version of x-link but some games work ok such as tony hawks underground but i can rarely join a game of Project Gotham 2, i've been trying all week and so far only been able to get one race :/

Will the new version of X-link at chistmas solve any problems us people with the new mac address's have been experiencing ?

Thanks for the help

Jamm

Jamrasta

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »

Anyone  ? uhh.gif

dfunked

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »

Well Kai has MAC filtering sorted for the new MAC addresses. Many people didn't update to the new xs.exe that's in that pinned thread. I'm guessing that's why some games still work and some don't, because people are using different builds. Anywho, fingers crossed it will solve some of those issues....

Jamrasta

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 11:30:00 AM »

How does the new X-link "KAI", sort the problem out does it use ip address online rather that mac addresses ?

dfunked

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 11:32:00 AM »

It still filters MACs, but from the beginning it already supports 00:50:F2 and 00:0D. RC2 didn't support the 00:0D addresses because they weren't in circulation at the time.

Updates to XLink RC2 weren't in-built notifications, and many users never bothered to update. Global updates *will* be issued for Kai so that if any other new MACs / issues arise, a fix can be applied.

Jamrasta

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

sorted, when will the new "KAI" version be available?

Respect for all the work done on xlink btw  biggrin.gif

dfunked

• Archived User
Problem Using Xlink
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

Expect something in the early new year though. BETA testing will take a fair bit, especially with the compromise detailed here http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=65&t=139740