xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do You Create A Private Server For Original Xbox?  (Read 1160 times)

theoriginalxboxenthusiast

• Archived User
How Do You Create A Private Server For Original Xbox?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »

since microsoft has shut down live for xbox 1 how would you go about making a private server? or public server so you can host games via the internet? im sorry if i posted this in the worng area, as i dont know where to post this.

This post has been edited by theoriginalxboxenthusiast: Sep 3 2010, 10:37 PM

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »

there is no need for a private server for the XB1 just google Xlink Kai.

kan85

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »

Ok, but Xlink Kai support only a game with LAN connection, i can't play DoAU or Mortal kombat deception.
Private server would be a better solution  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »

mmmk, well your going to be waiting a long time as there are only a handfull of people who know enough about Xbox Lives massive amount of encryption methods and challenge/response protocols, as well as each and every games individual challenges/responses, to even try to do this. Of course they wont because Microsoft would probably stop at nothing to find them and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

But barring those obstacles it really is quite simple.

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »

im surprized microsoft wouldnt allow seeing that the system is 9 years old and that its live service has been cut off from the original xbox. my uncle says that microsoft keeps the server files backed up on discs, and he said they are likly to sell them on the internet, and even congress keeps records of it too. i hope they release it soon, so i could make my own dedicated server. has anyone on here been able to create their own xbox dedicated server?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(theoriginalxboxenthusiast @ Oct 13 2010, 12:29 AM) View Post
my uncle says that microsoft keeps the server files backed up on discs, and he said they are likly to sell them on the internet
Really? How does your uncle know this? Does he work for Microsoft? Has he bought some of their old discs and found Xbox Live data hidden on them?

and even congress keeps records of it too.
Keeps records of what, exactly?

has anyone on here been able to create their own xbox dedicated server?
Did you do any reading or thinking before you posted this nonsense? All communication between the Xbox and Live Servers is authenticated and encrypted using a scheme based on Microsoft's private key and a whole pile of complex and secure authentication and encryption protocols.

Do some reading about public key encryption and authentication schemes, and about how Xbox Live is protected, and about the mathematical infeasibility of breaking public key encryption - then you might begin to understand why your question makes no sense.

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »

for one congress keeps copys of everything microsoft makes, remember companys pay big taxes? they keep them as records and stuff, two, my uncle is very knowleged with computers and saw them evolve, and for one thing why would microsoft want to even keep the back ups if they dont even have the servers running anymore? they should release the server data like playstation and sega had done for their 6th generation gaming systems as they dont care about the older stuff anymore. people would be more happy if they had their own xbox dedicated servers

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »

Keeping copies of a company's accounts for tax purposes, and keeping copies of everything they make and sell, isn't the same as keeping copies of private signing and encryption keys. They might be held in escrow, and they might even be available to Congress on request under very controlled circumstances, but I doubt very much that Congress keeps a copy. Even if they did, how is that relevant? The fact that the Government has a right to see certain data doesn't mean that it is automatically in the public domain and freely available for anyone to use.

The fact that Microsoft doesn't need the backups because they no longer run the service DOESN'T mean that they'll just sell the backups. Like all sensible companies they would DESTROY the backups once they were legally allowed to do so. If your uncle was even slightly knowledgeable about computers he would know this. My uncle also saw computers evolve, but knows nothing about data retention and disposal policies - just like your uncle, it would seem. There's a world of difference between using a computer and understanding the detail of the technical and legal environment that computer companies operate in.

Why do you persist in believing that Microsoft should release their proprietary data? The fact that you believe they should do so is of no interest to Microsoft. They own the code, and the data, and the private keys, and even if it is currently of no direct value to them they are unlikely to release it, for a number of reasons:

1. It may be of value to them in the future.
2. It almost certainly contains code or methods for which Microsoft owns the patent, and which they therefore wish to protect.
3. If any part of any patented code or methods has been licenced to others then Microsoft is still making money from that licence and will wish to retain that licence income. It is equally likely that the terms of any such licence prevent Microsoft from making the code publicly available, in order to protect their licencees from any potential competition or attack.
4. It almost certainly contains code or methods licenced from other vendors, which Microsoft has no right to release because it belongs to other people.
5. There is a strong possibility that it contains code that has been carried forward into the Xbox 360 Live service (because programmers will re-use code wherever possible), and therefore releasing it publicly will expose any back doors that exist in the code, thus providing an attack surface for the current Xbox 360 Live service.

I'm sure lots of "people would be more happy if" they had their own dedicated Xbox Live servers. They'd also be more happy if they lived in a mansion and owned a string of fast cars and never had to work again, but that doesn't mean someone will give them that lifestyle.

GTTeancum

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »

Heimdall's right.  In the end the only likelihood of playing online outside of Xlink Kai or XBConnect will be that fateful day that some modding team creates an emulated Xbox live, which of course would require our machines to be updated to point to their servers.  However like red_ring_of_box said only a few individuals in the world know enough about Xbox Live to do something like this, and I'd add that they probably still work for Microsoft.  Even folks who currently work for Xbox Live probably only know facets and pieces of information, being specialized in one small area of it due to the complexity and scale it has.

No, we'll just have to wait for some psuedo-Xbox Live to be created.  Considering the scale of that you're looking at multiple years even if someone knew what they were doing.  Not only do you have to create a server to allow folks to link up (matchmaking, Xbox Live parties), you have to manage friends, voice chat, messages, DLC, and more for thousands of games (which don't all handle things the same way), plus create a patch for each person's machine to point to this emulated Xbox Live server. That being said if that day ever did come I'd be find not having messaging, DLC and voice chat if we could have multiplayer and friends lists.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »

yea nobody even emulated seganet witch later became xbox live and how old is the dreamcast.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »

things like this used to be easier.

Once upon a time you could just make a little program that acted like a foyer which knew what responces the gme expected, and knew what to listen out for then have every one change some CFG file(s) to point to the new ip address and there you go, new centeral server.

Not that simple anymore though...
it would be nice if some 1 could change what the xbox wanted as a responce when it tried to connect to xbox live get rid of all the encrypted junk and hardware checks. that it sends out and that xbox live expects and make everything much more basic.
Just have a XBC style foyer and basic room chat.
I doubt this will happen though.
If it was ever going to happen im prety sure that it already would have. and id imagne that the best way of doing it would be to have it all done in a bios file.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Aug 17 2011, 12:38 AM

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Aug 17 2011, 12:33 AM) View Post

it would be nice if some 1 could change what the xbox wanted as a responce when it tried to connect to xbox live get rid of all the encrypted junk and hardware checks. that it sends out and that xbox live expects and make everything much more basic.
Just have a XBC style foyer and basic room chat.
I doubt this will happen though.
If it was ever going to happen im prety sure that it already would have. and id imagne that the best way of doing it would be to have it all done in a bios file.

This could work, but you would have to do it on a game by game basis, since each (live) game has it's own bit of code for written to handle the xbox live system. Additionally, I'm sure the M$ Dash would need it's own set of modifications. It would be awesome tho. I'd play on the network.  smile.gif