xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Xbox LIVE being discontinued for Original Xbox consoles and games  (Read 4514 times)

luther349

• Archived User
Xbox LIVE being discontinued for Original Xbox consoles and games
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

heh im not saying for them not to drop support. hand the support to the community. release the sdk to the public for the original xbox and let us hack away at it. with no live and no games they are no longer making any profit. sega did it for the dreamcast when it died they relesed the full sdk and even some dev units.

manpee

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

"Good Times"

LtDan313

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

NO more Counterstrike! I cant stand it.

TheRealPeppers

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

I guess there is no more need for me to worry bout making modded xboxes live safe anymore

Haruno

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »

This means live can now support over 200 friends.
There was an interview stating that the reason why there is a friend limit is because of the legacy support.

Next time there's a megan fox event, you'll know that you have a better chance of being on her friend's list smile.gif

dannyboyuk

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »

Pretty poor really, what backwards compatibility there is for 360 is rendered nigh-on useless now. I've got Halo 2 for PC so not worried about that, but I had been intending on picking up Battlefront 2 again at some point as I've missed that game. Hardly seems worth it now sad.gif

schweitzer

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(dannyboyuk @ Feb 5 2010, 05:13 PM) View Post

Pretty poor really, what backwards compatibility there is for 360 is rendered nigh-on useless now. I've got Halo 2 for PC so not worried about that, but I had been intending on picking up Battlefront 2 again at some point as I've missed that game. Hardly seems worth it now sad.gif

That is also available on PC and you can probably find it for $5.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »

I tend to agree, u cant innovate unless you move to new hardware, I'm guessing Natal will play a big part in this.

However it's also cool that XBConnect and XLinkKai still work cool.gif

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »

This is a bit shitty IMHO. I liked having the option to fire up a bit of Summit Strike or Halo on Xbox1 whenever the mood took me. The BC support for 360 is terrible and most of the games I loved playing don't seem to work on my setup. Even though they're on the list and supposedly supported they still don't run on my PAL monitor over HDMI.
Maybe it's just me but I can't understand why anyone would need or realistically want 100+ friends?  huh.gif . Is it going to be like Myspace or Facebook where people just collect a bunch of random friends they never speak to or play with?.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

One highlight that comes from this is with copyright protection. I read a story, can't remember when or where, that deals with copyright expirations. The sum of the story said that if software isn't supported anymore then the copyright owner loses the copyright protection.

I don't know the length of time after support stops, or anything else from the article. It makes it interesting though.

Sites could host Slayer's or CASH that contain MS code without retribution. MS has previously stopped support for repairing the original Xbox, so it could be from that date.

modslave

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

Oh shock horror!... FUCKIN "MEH"  blink.gif

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Feb 5 2010, 11:11 PM) View Post

heh im not saying for them not to drop support. hand the support to the community. release the sdk to the public for the original xbox and let us hack away at it. with no live and no games they are no longer making any profit. sega did it for the dreamcast when it died they relesed the full sdk and even some dev units.

I agree that they should hand support over to the community, but actually releasing the sdk to the public could be a security risk for them, still. I'm not positive, as this is outside of my realm of expertise, but if live in it's current form is still based off it's initial inception, then those kind of tools could still be used to hack XBL, potentially.  While Sega did this with the DC, it was after they pulled out of the hardware division, completely.

Suicidal Dreams

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

The biggest downfall for me on this is the loss of Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike on console via live.

It would be really nice if the games could be hacked to allow us to run our own live service, or make the live service free and user controlled......something like that.

same with all the content.

rtechie

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »

Couple things...

Microsoft's early abandonment of the XBOX is based largely on the legal dispute with NVIDIA which caused them to lose a lot of money of every original XBOX sold.

Knights of the Old Republic is #9 on Major Nelson's list despite the fact it has no multiplayer. This is probably users downloading the DLC.

Hyper Eye pointed out that they've already deleted all DLC for original XBOX games (with no notice, apparently).

Halo 2 and Battlefront 2, both popular on Live, are available for the PC.

tbb033

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Feb 5 2010, 07:49 PM) View Post

One highlight that comes from this is with copyright protection. I read a story, can't remember when or where, that deals with copyright expirations. The sum of the story said that if software isn't supported anymore then the copyright owner loses the copyright protection.

I don't know the length of time after support stops, or anything else from the article. It makes it interesting though.

Sites could host Slayer's or CASH that contain MS code without retribution. MS has previously stopped support for repairing the original Xbox, so it could be from that date.

You're thinking of trademarks, not copyrights. Trademarks have to be used and defended or they can be lost. Copyrights currently are automatic and last for, well, a really long time that gets even longer every time Disney stuff gets close to falling out of copyright and they lobby Congress to extend the length. Nothing will lose copyright protection because MS took down XB1 live.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7