xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help With Dns Settings.  (Read 378 times)

FATshaun

• Archived User
Need Help With Dns Settings.
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »

I have been without XBL for about 2 weeks. I have tried every troubleshooting step I can think of and I can't seem to connect. I have called XBL tech support and they informed me that my modem was uncompatible with XBL so I went out and got a compatible modem. The DNS numbers are the same, the IP and subnet mask are different so I have changed those. Nothing works on automatic. Please help if you can, I have no idea what to do.

wildwild100s

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »

try these for your dns servers, manually add these in and see what happens

TheMuffinMan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »

DNS is handled by your ISP.

Assuming you have the correct cabling (patch cable if from router to Xbox) or are wireless then the DNS should be received from the ISP.

Do an "ipconfig /all" on your computer and see what the DNS settings are. Most likely it's the router's IP address if you have one configured. Your Xbox should automatically detect this as well.

What is your exact network setup?

FATshaun

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(TheMuffinMan @ Dec 1 2009, 03:32 AM) View Post

DNS is handled by your ISP.

Assuming you have the correct cabling (patch cable if from router to Xbox) or are wireless then the DNS should be received from the ISP.

Do an "ipconfig /all" on your computer and see what the DNS settings are. Most likely it's the router's IP address if you have one configured. Your Xbox should automatically detect this as well.

What is your exact network setup?

I've done the "ipconfig /all" and gotten the 2 DNS numbers, put them in manually. Nothing will be found automatically.

I have a router that I have never had a problem with before, even if I switched from the router to just directly connecting the modem to the 360 it wasn't an issue. Even now I have tried both and neither are working. Think it could be my NIC card gone bad or something? I recently switched ISP's as well and when I call either Xbox support or my ISP support they always tell me to contact the other one.