xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Does Cold Booting Work?  (Read 24 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Why Does Cold Booting Work?
« on: January 10, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

Trouble is nobody is defining "cold boot." I THINK it means "turn the xbox on from the power button with the tray closed and an original game already in it." Never seen it spelled out though. But if my limited knowledge is correct that would work because the xbox bios looks to the D: drive first for a default.xbe, and if it finds it never actually looks to the C: for the dashboard. Since the modifications I know of work through hacked fonts in the loading of the dashboard, if the xbox finds a retail game in D: and loads it, it never loads the modified fonts and the bios therefore stays completely unmodified.

that is how to cold boot, and exactly how it works

Oh - and if you really want to slam dunk my questions, what's the point of the open-boot "shadow C" method of going on live with the ndure install? is this for extremely lazy people who refuse to turn their xboxes on and off? god knows it CAN'T be for playing backups on live...... can it?

shadow C isnt for going on Live, its to keep Live games from overwriting your softmod, it doesnt work when you coldboot though (because the softmod, and shadow-c never get loded)