xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Eprom And Drive Perminent On Xbl  (Read 26 times)

DeadAndMarried

• Archived User
Eprom And Drive Perminent On Xbl
« on: January 30, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »

first off, this is just some advice and a little info to help out all you people that either want to upgrade your drives once you've already signed onto xbl.

i have a v1.5 with 120 gig worked great on xbl for 2months. i made the mistake of getting a 250 gig wd drive and converted it to my 1.5 console. was really psyched about the larger space. well next day banned.

i took the 250 gig out and relocked my 120 gig. then i got a network error. went through tech support and come to find out when i did network setup and pressed the "y" button you can see codes to the systems configuration. there are a few letters followed by a sequence of numbers. and the network wasn't getting thru via xbl, the tech support guy had me on the phone for 30 minutes and said he would replace my console, to bad it was already opened.. blah blah.

but basically what happened is the eprom was banned and the harddrive wasn't yet, that's why i got a network error.. well i replaced the eprom and then recovered my live account. then the next morning after playing halo2 all night i went to sign on and got a modified console error.. that sucks. i come here and find that ms started banning the hard drives as well as eprom. now i got a brand new 250 gig and can't use it online since it was locked to a eprom "married" to another harddrive, i guess ms doesn't believe in divorce.

so i guess we need to keep in mind about the "marriage" as what vader has been saying. consider your drive, what ever size it may be joined perminently to your eprom if you ever log on xbl from this point on.

i have no credibility for my statement or testing i have done on this subject since i am no longer a member of the xbox-scene community. although i felt obligated to persue it further and run a few combinations of banned and unbanned eproms harddrives that were previously signed on to xbl and those that were "virgin", you get the idea. outcome not good.

basically what it boils down to is lockable drives brand new, never been used on xbl + eproms never signed onto live ='s workable xbl/modified console.

if you attempt to upgrade a harddrive and think that if you just copy the contents to the new drive you will be sorry at the xbl update. that means don't use your old drive to get the update and copy it to the new drive, won't work.

they do "tag" gamer tags for account recovery with a modified console ban, so if you want to keep that user id don't upgrade the harddrive unless the console and drive have never logged on live..