xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What We Know (fact) And What We Dont  (Read 588 times)

damadman

• Archived User
What We Know (fact) And What We Dont
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »

i would not even put it on your box call 1- 800 - 4-myxbox  and tell them you want to cancel dont worry bout it BTW u cant cancel it on your xbox not possible

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »

maybe do it on an unmoddified friends box or something, just dont do it on your modded box

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (damadman @ Nov 26 2004, 03:16 AM)
there is no need to put that acct on any xbox in order to cancel you cant cancel it on an xbox you have to call 18004myxbox

Finally, some good advice around here  smile.gif  smile.gif

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2004, 02:44:00 AM »

Interesting that you were able to succeed gerzand... hmmm, well since that modded XBOX has pretty much just set there since I tried this experiment, I could always re-attempt it.  I did purchase my EEPROM from Zodiiak, but I did not request a v1.0, so I'm not sure what version he sent.  I did notice that after I inserted it, the DVD region showed blank, where my previous EEPROM showed region 1.

If the EEPROM is still good (who knows) I could try playing around with it some, maybe re-zero the drive.

So, here's what I need to know about your success:

What program did you use to ZERO the drive?  (I used Maxtor's PowerMax since it was a Maxtor drive)
Did you just insert the EEPROM using Config Magic, or did you simply change the keys of your old EEPROM?  (I simply inserted the EEPROM I was given)
After you installed the drive, did you wait to format it before or after it was locked? (I formated, then locked)
Did you install an "updated" MS Dash, or an older one?  (I installed an updated)
Any other usefull information you may have to pass along?

(if my failure does turn out to be something lame like incorrect EEPROM versions I'm gonna kick myself for not verifying the damned EEPROM first)

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (-Gadget- @ Nov 26 2004, 12:30 AM)
it is curious that they are banning this ..
what ARE they using to flag and ban this kinda thing !?
as if u use your banned GT on a new xbox .. its not banned !  
so they not just banning flagged GT !! ..

ok.. lets look at what they COULD of checked, on this setup to determine a bigger-drive/hdd-swap..
  • could of been a bad eeprom for what ever reason
  • how did u LOCK the drive ? could the master password be playing a part here ?
  • are they just using the serial numbers ? )and comparing from factory details)
  • some kinda LPC check(extremly unlikly as 1.6 box standard use's the LPC !)
  • something we not thinking of !!
REMEMBER FOLKS these checks ONLY occur on FLAGGED GT's !!

Mick ..

They could just be banning drives which aren't stock drives (ie drives shipped by MS in xboxes)

They could define a stock drive based on raw size (8-10GB) or by model number, or by HD serial number compared with a list of all HDs ever shipped in an xbox.

I actually have an 8GB quantum drive from many years ago here (not from an xbox)... if I ever have the need, I'm going to see if it will pass as a stock drive on an xbox.

[GS]EqUaTe

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

wink.gif

muhaha.gif

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

QUOTE ([GS]EqUaTe @ Nov 28 2004, 02:14 AM)
What work (if any) has been done on trying to figure out what m$ are doing with flagged GT's to pick up the mod?

My box recently got banned, as I'd changed the HDD (just before all of this came to light as well :-/), I've got a couple of new eeprom's now though, and am willing to try and test a couple of things..

I was considering zero'ing the hdd and then formatting it as a stock disk, disconnecting the modchip and seeing if the box stays unbanned like that, then slowly putting things back to see what may be triggering it....

This sound like a good idea?
Whole situation is annoying though.. I say we find a way to send the redmonites into the sun, along with the lawyers and politicians. wink.gif

muhaha.gif

You *will* get banned for going on live with a flagged gamertag and a big hd.

TB_88

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

Got scared by the news that bigger harddrives can get you banned.
So I put my old 8gb in and formated it. Got banned bacause same eeprom with 2 diffrent HDS connected to live.

Today I put my banned 8gb in my pc.. started dos with a boot cd and started fdisk.
If I look at the partition table I see a primary around some megabytes FAT16 ... as c: I was wtf.. adn the rest unknown. (fatx I supose)

As some of you know the GT is stored somewhere on the harddrive and not on E: becuase if you format E: the GT is stil there.

It would be easy for live to know if a hdd has been in another xbox (in this case another eeprom.) If live see that WTF this HDD has the same acount but tied to another xbox eeprom. You would get banned.

I removed all partitons on the drive. Formated it to FAT32.
Flashed my xbox with a new eeprom from a good source.(friend with tsop x2 bios never been on live)

put  my new formated drive in and did a account recovery... been playing and been in msdash all day. And if I wont get banned I think that marrige theory is BS.  I think that live just checks if the hdd got info from another eeprom/xbox ...

Another thing. My xbox is region 4 and PAL, but when I use my VGA cable I have to switch video mode to NTSC... THis would also be easy to check for live?? that this xbox has been on live with NTCS but same region as it was with PAL.

X2Gamer

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

i got banned on a stock hdd so if i format it and get a new eeprom can i still use my flagged gt.

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (X2Gamer @ Nov 28 2004, 07:02 AM)
i got banned on a stock hdd so if i format it and get a new eeprom can i still use my flagged gt.

Yes, I think so.

[GS]EqUaTe

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2004, 03:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (Gumba @ Nov 28 2004, 02:58 AM)
You *will* get banned for going on live with a flagged gamertag and a big hd.

Possibly the least helpful thing you've said this thread...  huh.gif
Do we know why this is happening? I'm willing to attempt some research into this, so unless it's already been done (in which case please point me at the thread that details it), surely it's a good thing, at least for the community if not necessarily for my wallet?  blink.gif

Also, if m$ is detecting the larger HD even when it is formatted as STOCK (ie has only the stock hd partitions, at stock sizes), then it would be nice to know what information they're using to detect this.
It's not hard for me to run packet filtering tools to capture the traffic between my xbox and the internet..

So. Has this sort of thing been tried? Do we know what is being used to ID the non-stock hw when the GT is flagged?
I'd have thought some extra research would have been welcomed, as I've seen nothing to indicate this has been tried yet.

[GS]EqUaTe

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2004, 06:38:00 AM »

smile.gif

[GS]EqUaTe

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »

or on the other hand it could be there using some kinda phenix bios loader to be able to check more of the HDD details ??

Just a thought here.. I got banned after just signing in from the msdash...
Didn't run any games or anything. I just signed in on the dash (it did take a rather long time, but then my network was being rather laggy that day.. Too much going on wink.gif).
There haven't been any updates in quite a long time, I still haven't run halo2, so I do wonder if the PBL theory is a bust...
Yeah, it could be done with a game, but w/o one? I'm not so sure..

Just something I thought of going over your post again gadget...

[GS]EqUaTe

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

unsure.gif

Could have been somewhere in http://forums.xbox-s...pic=304652&st=0 , but then again, it migt not have been :-/

So..  uhh.gif

Suggestions of things to try in the interest of figuring out wtf they're checking for?

TB_88

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »

I couldn't see anyfiles on C: but fdisk reported it as a FAT16 partition.
When I typed "dir" I got the message. CAn't read, wanna try again? Like the partitoion ahven't been formated.

But I know it was there and was only a small part of the dirve. NOw I see what they mean with marrige theory. I thought they mean that live collected the info but I think its kept on your harddrive... so it's easy to remove. but you have to do a whole format, not just format c, e, xy....

And yes I'm not banned yet played today too..
So I can say it's safe to use a 8gb or 10gb if it has been abnned. but do a whole format or low lever format on it first before put it in a new xbox/ new eeprom.

CAn anyone try this but with a BIG HDD...

1. Low Format the banned HDD.
2. Flash the banned xbox with an new eeprom.
3. Use a old abnned GT like I did.

If this works there is no need for new Harddrives.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5