xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What We Know (fact) And What We Dont  (Read 590 times)

-Gadget-

• Archived User
What We Know (fact) And What We Dont
« on: November 22, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »

ok ive left my previous post as is... just so you can see how the story WAS..
and hows its now backed up, and extended to what im going to post !!

OK thanks to LinoX we are now a BIG step closer to understanding why the marriage theory works !! see a more detailed post here ..
which discussed how and why this IS the theory explaining the marrige theory and more
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=2024516

QUOTE (xionanx @ Nov 22 2004, 09:54 PM)

1. Low Level format the banned HDD (using AutoClave or some other tool capable of doing a low level format)
<insert> because a normal format dont get rid of the cookies
2. Install NEW (never been on live) EEPROM in banned XBOX
3. Install HDD (after low level format) in XBOX and then FORMAT and LOCK IT. (should I make an F: drive?)
4. Do an account recovery (rathar then create an entirely new account, since it has been proven that creating a new account with a new EEPROM and HDD works fine).
5. Play on Live, wait 48+ hours, play on live again to see if I have been banned.

OK with only using LinoX theory then this will get us back on ..
Confirmed !!
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=2035794

and to expand on this, we put in angerwounds theory in as well
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=308827

so its a combination of the DISK.BIN theory, and the HDD key theory
instead of banning serial of you xbox, they are using the HDD key (as its more unique and ya not able to 'generate' one very easily)
so that ..

ALTERNATIVE steps to xionanx guide/experiment.
2. Install NEW (never been on live) EEPROM in banned XBOX.
=Would be update to a new HDDkey to a unbanned HDD key  
(which is what updating eeprom is doing)
1. Low Level format the banned HDD
=would be, Instead of a lengthy lowlevel format of you HDD (like 9hours !!)
all that needs to be done is re-config of the sectors in evox (which uses's the disk.bin to re-build it)

OK now that we have proven that ...
cleaning your HDD of any 'cookies', changing the ID of your Xbox (new eprom) AND changing your GT then tis will get you back on 100%
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=2035794

REMEMBER using your FLAGGED (previously banned) GT WE CANNOT seem to keep unbanned ?? (even using the above method)
so what 'could' they be checking ?
  • could of been a bad eeprom for what ever reason
  • how did u LOCK the drive ? could the master password be playing a part here ?
  • are they just using the serial numbers ? (and comparing from factory details)
  • using some kinda BFM bios (like the phenix bios loader) to then see partitionf and find out that its a bigger drive etc...
  • some method of getting the HDD size ?
  • some kinda LPC check(extremly unlikly as 1.6 box standard use's the LPC !)
  • something we not thinking of !!
and my opinion... its the HDD Master lock of TEAMASSEMBLY
but thats just opinion !

NOW what we NEED to know !

we need to carry out the above thats confirmed.. then after, sign on with ya flagged GT. So that we can check to see if they ARE actually scanning/looking for other things ..like foriegnfiles/gamesaves etc
So obviously before doing this check you would need to cover ALL tracks of xbox being modded. and then slowly put stuff back entill ya either get banned ..
or realise that they are not !!

ALSO .. get a unbanned xbox/and GT and upgrade the HDD...
done by, first backing up the disk.bin, then replacing the HDD
then using that backup of disk.bin to re-create the partition table...
to see if we can still 'upgrade' our xbox's AFTER already signing into LIVE

Mick ..

edit 28-11-04
-typos and making it read a bit more english like !! (im so bad at this!)
-also putting in more evidance of the removal of cookies...
-added removing cookkies by re-config of sectors in evox
-also added to what we need to know ! and just the plain upgrading of HDD's !!

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

4. Do an account recovery (rathar then create an entirely new account, since it has been proven that creating a new account with a new EEPROM and HDD works fine).

The problem is we haven't proved that a low-level formatted HD is the same as a new HD. So to prevent the non-stock HD getting banned from a flagged GamerTag you need to first try it with a new gamertag.

If after a few days you don't get banned, *then* you can try with a flagged gamertag (which I think will result in a ban)

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Gumba @ Nov 22 2004, 10:51 PM)

The problem is we haven't proved that a low-level formatted HD is the same as a new HD. So to prevent the non-stock HD getting banned from a flagged GamerTag you need to first try it with a new gamertag.

If after a few days you don't get banned, *then* you can try with a flagged gamertag (which I think will result in a ban)

Yes, that has been brought to my attention and IS what I will be doing.  Later, after we have proven Linox's system works, I will then do an account recovery to see if a flagged gamertag results in more extensive testing.

*******  THIS IN NOT A TUTORIAL,  DO NOT ATTEMPT  *******

So, as of right now, this is what I will be doing:

The Setup:
         v1.0 XBOX  (banned)
         Maxtor 120GB HDD (banned)
         X2PRO + 4981.06 BIOS
         New EEPROM
         New Gamertag
         Old Gamertag (tag that was used on banned XBOX)

The Process:
         1.  Low level format 120GB HDD (banned)
         2.  Install NEW EEPROM in v1.0 XBOX (banned)
         3.  Install 120GB HDD, Format, and Lock It.
         4.  Get a NEW GAMERTAG, play on XBOX Live
         5.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live after  48+ hour wait.  (at this point we will      
              know if a low level format works or not)
         6.  Perform an account recovery for the OLD GAMERTAG (used on banned
              XBOX), play on XBOX Live
         7.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live after 48+ hour wait.  (at this point we will
              know if gamer tags are flagged for more extensive testing)
         8.  Repeat Linox's SECTER-BY-SECTOR HDD Copy from the now unbanned
              HDD to another HDD (I will attempt this using a spare 80GB I have,
              however I'm not confident it will work).
         9.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live using the NEW GAMERTAG, wait 48+
              hours, then log in again.  (this will prove that the "EEPROM HDD Mariage
              Flag" can be moved from drive to drive)
       10.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live using the OLD GAMERTAG, wait 48+
              hours, then log in again.  (this will further prove that gamer tags are not
              being flagged for more extensive testing)

Total Testing Time = 8-10 Days

Like stated before, we DO KNOW that a NEW HDD, a NEW EEPROM, and a NEW GAMERTAG will get you unbanned.  This experiment will help determine if it is possible to get unbanned using a previously banned HDD.  It will also put us closer to undertstanding what information in being checked, and what is being stored locally on HDD's.  If it is discovered that the "EEPROM HDD Marriage Flag" can be moved from drive to drive, then it will be possible to develop software making it safe to once again swap HDD's.

(If anyone has any helpfull suggestions or recommendations, please feel free to let me know.)

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »

am i the only one that is thinking buying a new xbox would just be easier? i mean most people are saying get a new HDD and a new gamertag.  so there is $50 for the gt and about $100 for the drive and also throw in $10 for the eeprom, so ~ $160 to get unbanned from live with the chance you might still be banned further down the road with another update.  so $150 for a virgin xbox and the ability to keep my GT  and also the chance to never be banned appeals to me a lot more than ~ 160 to just get around the current ban (hell u even get two games with a new xbox).  don't get me wrong though it would be nice to find a definitive way around the ban, but in the end with the current solutions it just doesn't seem too worth it, besides the fact that you aren't giving ms the satisfaction of selling another xbox.   i don't know, maybe i'm crazy though...

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »

-gadget- is there anything i can do to help?

I have a 2 new HDs, 2 new EEPROMS and my old GT. I can get 2 new 2month free trials.

-Gadget-

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

erm im not sure ..
something onlong the lines of xionanx

use a ne GT forst to make sure set is good
then use old GT..
as we still got nothing confirmed on what else there checking on flagged GT

Mick ..

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (xionanx @ Nov 23 2004, 12:06 AM)
Yes, that has been brought to my attention and IS what I will be doing.  Later, after we have proven Linox's system works, I will then do an account recovery to see if a flagged gamertag results in more extensive testing.

*******  THIS IN NOT A TUTORIAL,  DO NOT ATTEMPT  *******

So, as of right now, this is what I will be doing:

The Setup:
         v1.0 XBOX  (banned)
         Maxtor 120GB HDD (banned)
         X2PRO + 4981.06 BIOS
         New EEPROM
         New Gamertag
         Old Gamertag (tag that was used on banned XBOX)

The Process:
         1.  Low level format 120GB HDD (banned)
         2.  Install NEW EEPROM in v1.0 XBOX (banned)
         3.  Install 120GB HDD, Format, and Lock It.
         4.  Get a NEW GAMERTAG, play on XBOX Live
         5.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live after  48+ hour wait.  (at this point we will      
              know if a low level format works or not)
         6.  Perform an account recovery for the OLD GAMERTAG (used on banned
              XBOX), play on XBOX Live
         7.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live after 48+ hour wait.  (at this point we will
              know if gamer tags are flagged for more extensive testing)
         8.  Repeat Linox's SECTER-BY-SECTOR HDD Copy from the now unbanned
              HDD to another HDD (I will attempt this using a spare 80GB I have,
              however I'm not confident it will work).
         9.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live using the NEW GAMERTAG, wait 48+
              hours, then log in again.  (this will prove that the "EEPROM HDD Mariage
              Flag" can be moved from drive to drive)
       10.  Attempt to log onto XBOX Live using the OLD GAMERTAG, wait 48+
              hours, then log in again.  (this will further prove that gamer tags are not
              being flagged for more extensive testing)

Total Testing Time = 8-10 Days

Like stated before, we DO KNOW that a NEW HDD, a NEW EEPROM, and a NEW GAMERTAG will get you unbanned.  This experiment will help determine if it is possible to get unbanned using a previously banned HDD.  It will also put us closer to undertstanding what information in being checked, and what is being stored locally on HDD's.  If it is discovered that the "EEPROM HDD Marriage Flag" can be moved from drive to drive, then it will be possible to develop software making it safe to once again swap HDD's.

(If anyone has any helpfull suggestions or recommendations, please feel free to let me know.)

Sounds great and is exactly what needs to be tested.

What are you going to do if the flagged gamertag in the first instance does get you banned?

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (Gumba @ Nov 23 2004, 07:10 AM)
Sounds great and is exactly what needs to be tested.

What are you going to do if the flagged gamertag in the first instance does get you banned?

Well, this entire process is only going to cost me $10, so I'll probably do what I would have done otherwise, buy a new XBOX biggrin.gif .  I figure $10 is a small price to pay for a potential solution to HDD banning, especially if it turns out the sector-by-sector copy is able to transfer the required information to keep XBOX's from being banned.

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »

Progress Report:

Step 1:  I have been doing some research on LLF (Low Level Formating) a HDD.  It seems its impossible to "truly" LLF a modern HDD, it is something that can only be done at the factory.  However, there are utilities that completely "zero" out a drive, effectively removing all data.  Since it is a Maxtor HDD I am using, I will be using the Maxtor PowerMax utility to "zero" out the drive instead of the AutoClave program which is a little out of date.

Step 2:  I have sent payment for a new EEPROM, hopefully it will be in hand within 24 hours so I can get this show on the road.

Step 3-7:  Awaiting completion of steps 1 & 2

Step 8:  I have been trying to find a FREEWARE (or a fully functional trial period) utility that can do a SECTOR-BY-SECTOR HDD copy, one that I can be absolutely certain about.  Anyone know what tool LinoX used?  (If you are following this thread LinoX, it would be really helpfull to know what you used to produce your success)

Step 9-10:  Awaiting completion of Step 8

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

Well, I'm still waiting on the damned EEPROM, hopefully it will arrive within the next hour so I can work on this a little before I go to work.  All I need to do at this point is install the new EEPROM, Lock the Drive, Format, then create a new XBOX Live Gamertag.. all of which could be done in less then 20 minutes..

Did a Low Level Format (zero fill) while I was sleeping, it took over 9 hours to complete   on a 120GB HDD.  If this does let us get back on live with a previously banned HDD, it wont be a task for the impatient.  

Ultimate BOOT CD:
Contains all sorts of usefull formating, copying, and just general system maintenance tools.  This was immensely usefull to me since I do not have a Floppy Disk Drive, and powermax requires one, luckily powermax is included on the UBCD.

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »

Ok, progress so far.

1.  Low Level Formated the previously banned HDD
2.  Installed LLF HDD, Formatted it using EVOX.
3.  Installed NEW EERPOM
4.  Locked the HDD
5.  Turned off modchip, booted the XBOX Dash for the first time using the new EEPROM
6.  Attempted to connect to XBOX Live to create a new gamertag *** FAILURE ***

Message:  Could Not Connect to XBOX Live.  Check these possible options:
-If you connect through a router, verify that the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size on the router is set to 1365 or greater. (this does not apply to me)
-If you connect through a PC using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), see www.xbox.com/connect for more information.  (this is what I do, however no USEFULL information was garnered from this site that would allow me to connect)
-Your ISP may require additional steps to use XBOX Live.  See www.xbox.com/connect for information specific to your ISP. (this does not apply to me)

So, what this tells me is either:
(A)  If there is a flag being stored on the HDD itself, then there is no way to remove it.
(B)  They record the HDD S/N in a database to prevent it from logging onto XBOX Live.
( C)  I was sold a bad EEPROM (I highly doubt this one, as the guy I purchased from comes highly recommended and AFAIK has no negative feedback.)

Basically, once a HDD has been banned, there is NO WAY to unban it.

I have a spare 80GB HDD here that has not been banned by live (to my knowledge), I "may" have used it on Live a long time ago, I'm not entirely sure.  I am tempted to toss it into the XBOX and see what happens with the new EEPROM, the worse that could happen is the drive also becomes banned if the new EEPROM is now also banned.

This throws a little doubt on LinoX's success with a sector by sector HDD copy, since anything that could have been copied to a new drive would have also been erased from a drive during a LLF.

It reinforces the HDD Marriage Theory and Confirms that HDD S/N's are being recorded in a database along with EEPROM information.

CONCLUSION:

The ONLY way to get back on XBOX Live is still:

BUY A NEW EEPROM
BUY A NEW STOCK HDD
CREATE A NEW GAMERTAG

or

BUY A NEW XBOX, DONT MOD IT, AND USE YOUR OLD GAMERTAG.

Personally, I intend to buy a new XBOX...

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 08:22:00 AM »

well if it couldnt connect in the first place your eeprom should still be good unless it was infact a bad one, did you copy the xblive files as well, maybe delete them the next go around and install them fresh from a game instead of tranfering them

-Gadget-

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

or it could be summit else actually stopping ya connect...
have u changed much on ya PC since ?
(as we know ya been rebooting it alot, swapping hdd over etc)

maybe summit on ya PC/router int right
and it is imple a connection problem and its just being overlooked because of teh problems that u were expecting ?

have u done a 'backup' and looked at the 'disk.bin' file now.
and compared it to a previous one(s), when u were unbanned/banned/singing up

Mick ..

clouzot

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (xionanx @ Nov 24 2004, 04:56 PM)
Ok, progress so far.

1.  Low Level Formated the previously banned HDD
2.  Installed LLF HDD, Formatted it using EVOX.
3.  Installed NEW EERPOM
4.  Locked the HDD
5.  Turned off modchip, booted the XBOX Dash for the first time using the new EEPROM
6.  Attempted to connect to XBOX Live to create a new gamertag *** FAILURE ***

Message:  Could Not Connect to XBOX Live.  Check these possible options:
-If you connect through a router, verify that the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size on the router is set to 1365 or greater. (this does not apply to me)
-If you connect through a PC using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), see www.xbox.com/connect for more information.  (this is what I do, however no USEFULL information was garnered from this site that would allow me to connect)
-Your ISP may require additional steps to use XBOX Live.  See www.xbox.com/connect for information specific to your ISP. (this does not apply to me)

So, what this tells me is either:
(A)  If there is a flag being stored on the HDD itself, then there is no way to remove it.
(B)  They record the HDD S/N in a database to prevent it from logging onto XBOX Live.
( C)  I was sold a bad EEPROM (I highly doubt this one, as the guy I purchased from comes highly recommended and AFAIK has no negative feedback.)

Basically, once a HDD has been banned, there is NO WAY to unban it.

I have a spare 80GB HDD here that has not been banned by live (to my knowledge), I "may" have used it on Live a long time ago, I'm not entirely sure.  I am tempted to toss it into the XBOX and see what happens with the new EEPROM, the worse that could happen is the drive also becomes banned if the new EEPROM is now also banned.

This throws a little doubt on LinoX's success with a sector by sector HDD copy, since anything that could have been copied to a new drive would have also been erased from a drive during a LLF.

It reinforces the HDD Marriage Theory and Confirms that HDD S/N's are being recorded in a database along with EEPROM information.

CONCLUSION:

The ONLY way to get back on XBOX Live is still:

BUY A NEW EEPROM
BUY A NEW STOCK HDD
CREATE A NEW GAMERTAG

or

BUY A NEW XBOX, DONT MOD IT, AND USE YOUR OLD GAMERTAG.

Personally, I intend to buy a new XBOX...

I had the same issue because of "Trash" on my E, after clean-up I was able to connect.
Are your C and E clean ?

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

Ok, Purchased a brand new XBOX like I said I would and it is able to connect to live with absolutely no problems, so the PC configuration is fine.

There is no junk on C or E, since I never used them in the first place(had eveything on F) and the low level format would have taken care of any "saves" on E, also the entire install took place from a DVD, ie there is NO "illegal" code on the XBOX at all.

At this point in time, I'm resolved that my banned XBOX will never see Live again, and I'm more then willing to leave the pursuit of a solution in more capable hands.  I attempted this experiment becuase the research looked promising and I could do it cheaply.

I'm fairly confident now that the marriage flag isn't saved locally, and I believe that anyone with more expertise and resources then I would be able to come to the same conclusion by analyzing network traffic as "Legit" and "Banned" XBOX's attempt to communicate with Live.

I knew this day would come and I foresee more like them in the future as M$ gets more aggressive with thier detection techniques.  I'm sorry to leave everyone hanging like this, but as of this moment my XBOX Live problems are solved, I still have a modded XBOX for all the homebrew apps I want to use, and I still have my gamertag.  I am happy with this arrangement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5