xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xboxlive Emulation?  (Read 805 times)

Barbacamanitu

• Archived User
Xboxlive Emulation?
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

Ok, I have been programming for a few years now and I have programmed a few servers for various games.
I had an idea a little while ago that I thought could revolutionize free online play for the xbox.

Ok, all the "tunneling" programs work with system link, right? What if we modified the *.xbe or another file(not sure what file contains this) to connect to a different ip for xbox live... Then you could just click Xbox live on the menu in Halo 2, for example, and instead of connecting to the official server, you connect to a server running on a home PC. I'm sure once we got this much working adding in Ranks, Matchmaking, and other stuff wouldnt be too much of a stretch.

I don't think it would be extemely hard, it would just take a lot of packet sniffing  and programming.

Anyways, do you guys think it would work?

Caelthunderwing

• Archived User
Xboxlive Emulation?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

i've seen this discussed on the xpso section on the schtcserver sites on getting Xbox PSO to connect to their private server, atm xbox emulation isnt possible let alone redirecting the IP for a game's server.

its not like the dreamcast where it was as simple of using a codebreaker code to change/re-direct the server's IP.. let alone in its entirety that its Legal one bit. second you'd get a emulated XBL system you'd get M$ down your arse for sure

Movax

• Recovered User
Xboxlive Emulation?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(Barbacamanitu @ Sep 9 2007, 05:11 PM) View Post

modified the *.xbe or another file(not sure what file contains this) to connect to a different ip for xbox live

I'd be willing to bet they just use DNS.

Tatsh

• Archived User
Xboxlive Emulation?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »

Are we really resurrecting this 2 year old post?

Here is the problem:
- Even if we modify the XEX's (you seem to forget they are encrypted, and need a checksum as part of the header), changing the IP to connect to 'as Live' is only a part of the problem
- Right now, we cannot even test any of this except on exploited consoles. Those dashboards should be modified to connect to such a network too
- Only if we control the dashboard (and hypervisor) can we find out a way to mimic Live to the console, because nobody (except MS) knows how Live works

Would the big server sites (ones that host for games like UT, etc) be willing to support this? Probably not considering they do not want to be on MS' blacklist of vendors. This will only encourage copyright infringment more than anything else, so definitely not.

osmorphyus

• Archived User
Xboxlive Emulation?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

its hilarious, really.  this "Barbacamanitu" had only one post back then, and this was it.  gee, looks like he really "revolutionized" the whole scene with his idea.  laugh.gif