xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: About Halo 2  (Read 3076 times)

Shadow_Ryo

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« on: November 09, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »

WARNING: This reviewish thing is kinda harsh, please only read if you want to know my opinion.

Ok first off I want to tell you I'm not totally I love with, nor am I totaly against
Halo, I'm netural I like it alot and play it, but I would have a stroke over it.
(Oh and I won't tell any story spoilers).

Man I played Halo 2 tonight or I guess this morning, and well the multi-player was pretty good, it was like Halo 1 but with little additions (that I'm sure most of you guys know about) but it was really fun for about the first couple of hours, but will be great for link-ups.

Now Single player wasn't that great at all, actually it was awful, the voices sounded weird and the story really didn't have much to do with what they have been advetising, and it takes a second to draw the bump-mapping. the graphics were about the same (more polies in levels, less in players), but the bump-mapping for me didn't really make it look THAT good, and the level were about 4 times longer like bungie but 3 times more stretched out and take 2 times the time to load. But I think that the over-hype is much to blame for some of the downfalls.

To sum it up multiplayer was good but not much is new (most of the stuff you can get in H1 with PC, CXE, NMP) mostly like a finished Halo 1, but is still very great fun. Single (I thought) was very lame, seemed... I dunno... kinda thrown together. But it is still a pretty good story, and continues the saga with our hero Master Chief.

In the end the ups prolly will outnumer the downs.
But anyways its still a pretty good game, if you like the 1st be very sure to get your self a copy!

I still think it's a good game, just doesn't live up hype (which is almost impossible for a game to do, look at bute force)
MC is still cool.
I'm just saying this is what "I" thought of the game you (and others) may have a completly diffrent opinion, I may have been a little harsh, but these are all the low points I VERY sure the good points like multiplaye will cover up these problems!

I'm not tring to hurt anyones feelings or Halo pride.

PS: plz go easy on me

This post has been edited by Shadow_Ryo: Nov 10 2004, 12:19 AM <

broadd

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »

I agree.  <

nikeskateboarding.net

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:42:00 AM »

As I have already said, HALO 2 does suck, personally any first person shooter on a console is bound to bite, Multiplayer is a bit amusing but XL will carry the weight, I mean all you do in the game is walk around and shoot at the same aliens and enemys, I do agree that Bungie could have done a lot better, Basically Halo 2 is any FPS with a bunch of disco lights and neon colors from batman forever with purple glow sticks. Hence Halo should be renounced Gaylo
 <

phokus

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »

I agree also, while I really enjoy the multi-player part of the game I am really disappointed by the story line. I will mainly stick to the multi-player myself as you can see the work really has gone in to developing some of the maps. I do however get the feeling that some of the multi-player maps had no time spent on them at all.

I have also discovered that Juggernaut is alot more fun this time around, I hadn't touched it too much on Halo1, but I am really enjoying it at the moment. Ninjanaut is really fun with a couple of mates. With unlimited ammo enabled, a rocket launcher and energy sword is a deadly combination.

beerchug.gif   <

3dfx

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 09:42:00 AM »

Ok, no offence but Halo 2 has top notch sound and voice acting all in 5.1 and tbh you are talking out of your ass when it comes to loading times as apart from the initial load you get halfway through the campaign with no load times just the odd one that lasts less than a second.

and please proof read before you post in future  dry.gif

adeelmysore

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

I played it its a cool game but I think its way toooo short!!  <

Shadow_Ryo

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 01:30:00 PM »

I not saying the acting was bad, It's just Cortana and MC sound wierd some times
like at a part with the bomb he doesn't sound like MC,
and by load I meant each level sperately (Otherwise the levels preload)
and no ATV's

Keep in mind this is MY opinion, you don't have to listen, you many have a totally diffrent  view on it, everybody's diffrent.

This post has been edited by Shadow_Ryo: Nov 10 2004, 12:17 AM <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

i was in line at midnight with everyone else and I got to say... campaign to fun if you liked the first one...though the story is messed up in my opinion.  But XBL is what makes this game stand out.. no system link or splitscreen can show how great this game is in multiplayer than xbl.  <

Renthal

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

You are aware system link multiplayer is nearly identical to xbl multiplayer I hope. The only difference might be rankings and other misc. small stuff.  <

inuyasha44720

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »

Halo 2 does suck.  I played the first Halo at least once a week with friends and this game , to me, is not nearly as good as the first.  The grapics are awesome but that is about it.  The single player is terrible.  It's so boring and repeative and the multiplayer isn't fun either.  I thought this game was going to be absolutely amazing, shit, I stood out in the cold at midnight to get it.  I'm just sad that it could'nt live up to the fun of the original unsure.gif

_SCaRfaCe

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (nikeskateboarding.net @ Nov 9 2004, 03:34 PM)
As I have already said, HALO 2 does suck, personally any first person shooter on a console is bound to bite, Multiplayer is a bit amusing but XL will carry the weight, I mean all you do in the game is walk around and shoot at the same aliens and enemys, I do agree that Bungie could have done a lot better, Basically Halo 2 is any FPS with a bunch of disco lights and neon colors from batman forever with purple glow sticks. Hence Halo should be renounced Gaylo

lmao

that's easily the best analogy i've heard.

ok, regarding halo 2, i wanna go pick up the collectors edition (+ the new crystal xbox).  anyway, my question is does it support hdtv resolution (720p or 1080i)?  widscreen?  480p?

u gotta give it production quality though.  especially the musical score of the game.  the one song that comes to mind is the main title song from Halo 1, sounds somewhat like Vangellis?  anyway, i swear that fucking shit gives me goosebumps.  it sounds so angelic.  really sets the atmosphere/mood.  <

gsgleason

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »

I thought that bungie would make a great title that was halo 2, being that the first was so marvelous.

I was wrong.  

I can't believe it took them so long to come out with this.  Seriously, it only takes me a couple minutes to produce a pile of shit.  It took them several years.  wtf?

The view is terrible.  It's like they took halo and zoomed it in 50%.   It makes close combat a lot harder to deal with, and it feels like you're running around with blinders.

Grenades are all of a sudden a lot heavier for some reason, and the kickback on the SMG is retarded.   Master chief is a super cyborg who can flip over a tank, for craps sake, I think he can handle a SMG without shootng the ceiling.  

Oh, and there's the ranged reticle red thing.  Now, your reticle will only turn red if it's within the pre-designated range for the weapon you're holding AND it's current zoom setting.  stupid.

oh, speaking of zoom, first click zoom on snipers = 5x = stupid.

The weapons are horribly mispowered.  When someone with an SMG 50 feet awat can kill me before I can get the 6 face bursts required to kill someone with the battle rifle, something's wrong.  And, instead of just making the rocket less strong, they make it slower to shoot and slower in general and give it a bunch of error in it's path.  

The banshee is worthless.

Dual weilding is stupid.  With the right combo, you can kill someone before they can even turn to see their attacker.  Lame.

blah blah blah.  

I don't understand why development teams totally change the engine of a game that's so popular.  This game feels like a chap rip-off of unreal tournament only without the coolness.

Halo2 = C-

This post has been edited by gsgleason: Nov 11 2004, 04:03 AM <

overdrive

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (_SCaRfaCe @ Nov 10 2004, 09:39 PM)

u gotta give it production quality though.  especially the musical score of the game.  the one song that comes to mind is the main title song from Halo 1, sounds somewhat like Vangellis?  anyway, i swear that fucking shit gives me goosebumps.  it sounds so angelic.  really sets the atmosphere/mood.

I totaly agree with you there Scarface. listening to the game on my 5.1 in the living room for the first time blew me away off the bat.  I mean, I'm a recording engineer and after listening to it all, WOW.  They definately put some time into the soundtrack and score.

Now for the rest of the game....  I won't even go there.  I posted my thoughts in the other thread.  <

nikeskateboarding.net

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 06:40:00 AM »

I have to say, everyone that posts in here can agree the game was overhyped, I do find myself still playing xbox live on it getting waxed by 12 yr olds but its great, single player is crap and the soundtrack is amazing, though, it still bewilders me how some game magazines rate this game so high, maybe they are on m$ payroll ? who knows, they are def more about gaming then any of us to an extent I imagine but I cannot say for sure, any how broken down here is my review after playing the game for some time..

Graphics (6.5)- Somewhat blocky characters and studio 51 flameboy colors that make you want to puke. Could of been better for all the delays

Sound (9.5)- Not much to say here other than it is very well produced

Replay Single Player (-.15915) - Ha single player YEAH RIGHT !! Any halofanboy will either admit it or deny it and know in the back of their peebrained mind that this is horrible !!! ABSOLUTLY DISAPPOINTING... I get more amuzement scratching my balls.

Replay Multiplayer - (8.5) This is very entertaining on xbox live, runs hella smooth and multiplayer is very easy to join

Overall = 6.16

Do the math it works smile.gif

lord_jeebuz

• Archived User
About Halo 2
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

Its a new game, who plyed half-life more than a few times. i played CS to death a few times over. every one knows at the end of the day you will be playing multi player h2 more and more. yeah the story needed more ( i dont know what ) and if YOU can tell me any ideas on how you would have made the h2 better without being h1 (but just different levels) please fell free. XBOX is not for little kids but it sounds like everyone has made such a big F****g deal about the fact that what they thought the game would be like, and what the game is like are different. remember game developers are there for years making good games. i thought h2 would be a great multi player game that my girlfriend could play with me rather than finding a decent place with good players. ( doesnt h2 have that new thing with online that puts people of similar skill level together rather than BUNNY EGO SMASHING) its new, live with it, your the one that made it a dissapointment. if you think its a dissapointment make me something even better. in 6 months you will probably have h1 sitting on your drive not played for a while and you will go play it and reminisce that it was straight forward and reasonably easy. it was new you probly got h1 with your console. you probably thought it wasnt that great but then as you played more and more (like me) you grew to love it, it will be the same for h2 ( that is unless you make a better game in the meantime ). lets see what the reviews for half life 2 are in a week. i bet everyone will say oh the game is crap its not like the first..... blah blah blah. come on we are adults with penis envy. the fact we didnt make the game and the fact it is a SEQUEL. have you ever seen a sequel you liked as much as the first movie, the only one i can say yes to is the alien series (except ressurection, it was good, but not alien 2). YOU WILL BE AN ADDICT IN A FEW MONTHS, ADMIT IT. CHEERS  <
Pages: [1] 2 3 4