xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-men Legends  (Read 827 times)

browndanielusn

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« on: October 21, 2004, 12:10:00 AM »

Damn did I get suckered into buying this one.  I'm a fan of Bauldar's Gate type games and I was itching to play x-men legends.  I was waiting to rent it but the copies at the stores I went to were out for a while.  So I decided to buy it (against my normal rent-it-first routine) and although it was kind of cool at first, I slowly realized how repetitive it became.  I know what your thinking...what else do you expect from a hack and slash rpg?  Well...maybe a rpg.  Yes the game allows you to "customize" your character...i.e.  stats.  But that is about all the rpg characteristics you are going to get playing this title.  Oh wait, I forgot you get to walk around the x-mansion to talk to other x-men about absoutely nothing.  No side quests, no alternate story lines.  Just here is the story, kill some goons, here is more of the story, walk around the mansion, kill more goons, etc.  Damn I hope I can get good money for this on a trade in.  <

snyps

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »

thanks for that warning. my friend is eager for this game. he may wanna know this....

btw sorry about yourr dilema, we all been there. hate it when that happens  <

metalhead212

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

Don't mean to be a dickhead or anything, but do you think you could go into a little more depth as to why you do not like the game or what points of the game you do like compared to what points of the game you dislike? I am curious to know if i should try it out or not. Just saying it "sucks" doesn't really hold much ground.  <

boostleak

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »

Not a constructive review from me but this game was a complete let down in my opinion.  Make sure to rent it first to see if you like it.  I was really looking forward to the co-op play but the game is just not fun.  I got bored after like an hour.

Long,  <

PiNoY RaCeR

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

Yea I was wondering about this game. I saw that it just came out. Well thanks for the warning.  <

browndanielusn

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (metalhead212 @ Oct 21 2004, 06:34 PM)
Don't mean to be a dickhead or anything, but do you think you could go into a little more depth as to why you do not like the game or what points of the game you do like compared to what points of the game you dislike? I am curious to know if i should try it out or not. Just saying it "sucks" doesn't really hold much ground.

No offense taken...

I'll try to explain what I do and don't like about the game down in more detail (but of course this is only my opinion...as all reviews you will read).

The amount of different characters make this game interesting as opposed to a bauldar's gate or fallout.  When I read the back of the box and a few reviews they talked about the multi-player co-op, which is a major reason why I was interested in this title.  So my wife and a friend decided to sit down and play it the night I bought it.  Thinking that we would all be able to crank it up and go to town...we soon found out we were wrong.  When you start the game (I don't consider this a spoiler) you only have wolverine to play which means only one person is playing (for a while I might add).  Once you get extra characters then you get the opportunity for your friends to join in on the action.  But once again when you're on a level that doesn't use more than one or two characters, someone with you will be waiting on the sidelines again.  Maybe I was wrong for thinking that multi-player co-op meant that everyone would be able to play All the time, but if I was wrong I was still disappointed.  Well the game play was similar to every other hack and slash "rpg."  Can't really complain about that, or praise it either.  When you are playing with AI controlled characters there is a huge problem.  The AI is retarded (excuse me if I offend anyone).  They jump off of cliffs, get stuck behind doors, and don't contribute what so ever to attacking anything worth while.  The in-game graphics are decent for a game of this caliber, but the cutscenes look like a two year old designed them.  I understand they were trying to get the whole "comic book" feel, but they stunk nonetheless.  The story line was mediocre at best...for once I wish they would come up with a x-men plot that has nothing to do with the sentinels and the brotherhood.  I think it has been beaten into the ground.  If I'm starting to sound biased, well tough, I'm pissed I bought this game.

Final thoughts:  Is it a worthwhile rental?  Sure it is, then you get determine if this is something you will like.  I'm not here to tell you don't buy this game no matter what you want to do.  I'm just giving you my personal feeling about this game.  I'm not paid by the competition.    <

Neeero

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

The gameplay is very similar to Baldurs Gate, and felt better then alot of the clones that have come out since the first Baldurs Gate(Fallout, BardsTale, D&D Heroes).  

They jump off of cliffs, get stuck behind doors, and don't contribute what so ever to attacking anything worth while.

The computer will never fall off the edge of an instant-death-pit unless you do it first or they some how get knocked off.   I really didn't find the AI that disgraceful to modern AI standards, you have options of how the AI acts, and it's common sense to put melee characters to "aggresive" and casters to "defensive."  I guess the AI isn't perfect, so using the L-Trigger to keep your teamates close is required.  I can see what your main gripe about the game is:  multiplayer co-op is misleading.  There are several points in the game where you're forced to play with 1 player, unlike the Co-Op in Fallout,Baldurs, etc, and other players are just forced to watch.  I really thought that the amount of variety in the combat (combos, arial combos, team combos) was fresher then the competitors, the rpg elements offered alot of variety and customization of your characters, and sound and graphics (cell shading is a matter of taste, but i didn't see anything "2-year old" about the production quality) were fine.  If you're a fan of X-Men, Baldurs Gate gameplay, and RPG elements, i see no problem recommending this game, and scoring the game a 8 out of 10.

This post has been edited by Neeero: Nov 1 2004, 07:02 PM <

monkey86

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

considering i only paid a tenner for the game (not brand new obviously), i thought it was pretty good value. its just a bit of fun really, with your mates. drunken fun id say. definetly a rental, or maybe wait for the budget version to be released.

ps: i did buy it of a mate that didnt want it anymore.  pop.gif

iNfErNaL666

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »

X-MEN LEGENDS awesome game awesome recommend it for anyone
i thought it was good but sometimes it would get pointless where u have to keep going back and forth but well worth the playing and what was up with the graphics sometimtes the videos would look like cartoons and the gameplay would look better like in spiderman 2.  But its still a tight game  <

SC2

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »

I didn't really  like this game. Nuff' said. <

DEVO1

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »

Yea i agree with the majority here, it sucked pretty bad! I really am easy on games, but this was lacking all the needed parts of an RPG. Maybe im retarded but i really had trouble following the purpose and story line, it kinda jumped all over the place. So for the low educated people like myself....just walk right past this game! <

hardware_failure

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(monkey86 @ Nov 14 2004, 10:47 AM)
considering i only paid a tenner for the game (not brand new obviously), i thought it was pretty good value. its just a bit of fun really, with your mates. drunken fun id say. definetly a rental, or maybe wait for the budget version to be released.

ps: i did buy it of a mate that didnt want it anymore.  :popcorn:

I think the game is one of the funest around for for 4x buddies while drinkin or doing other 'recreational' activities.

Kinda boring single player tho.

Unfortuantly, the instant death from falls is totally retarded, I dont know why they did that.

Devedander

• Archived User
X-men Legends
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

I tried this game out... I didn't read reviews or anything, just based it on the TV commercial and my love for cool Xmen stuff.  Dissapointed on both fronts.

Where do they get off showing that crazy 3d rendered battle in the tv commercial and it's some lame overhead slasher taht reminds me of the SNES days?  I seriously felt like  I had jumped back 2 or 3 generations in hardware, on the PS1 this would have been a nice game, for an Xbox the graphics and gameplay seemed to lack a lot.

I never got to the point where powering up or story would play a big role but I could tell from the get go that this was a rentle for sure.  There is a niche that is going to love this game, but I think about 90% of people who don't know exactly what they are getting into first are going to be dissapointed. <