xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Star Wars: Kotor Review  (Read 404 times)

Big_Peb

• Archived User
Star Wars: Kotor Review
« on: September 11, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »

Title: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Publisher: Lucas Arts
Developer: Bioware
Release Date: July 15, 2003
# Of Players: 1
Xbox Live Compatible: Yes, downloadable content is available.
MSRP: $19.99 (Now a Platinum Hits game)

In case you don’t know anything about Star Wars (in which case I highly recommend you read some prequel and sequel comics, as I think the most recent movies don’t really do the series justice and the comics are the bread and butter of the franchise) this game takes place approximately 4000 years before Episode I in which you take control of a character who has a strong affinity to the force and must save the galaxy from the Dark Lord Malak who has an unstoppable fleet bent on the conquering and destruction of the Republic.

Gameplay:

This is where the game shines. It’s based on a hybrid turn-based\real time system where you can either pause the game and give your character commands or put them in one at a time for a more “on the fly” approach. The game is based on a d20 system, where behind the scenes dices are rolled to calculate for example how much damage you’re going to do in that round and then the computer adds and attribute modifiers you might have. It sounds complicated at first but it really isn’t once you get the hang of it. There are several feats included such as Flurry which gives your character an extra hit per round at the expense of defense, Power Attack which gives a large boost to damage but lowers your attack rating. There’s to many to mention but rest assured there’s a lot. Once you get your Jedi class (on average 5-7 hours in the game) you get to select force powers such as Force Lightning, which Palpatine and Dooku used or Force Choke made famous by Darth Vader. I don’t really want to give away too much as this game is better experienced then told but rest assured once you start swinging your Double-Bladed Lightsaber and encircling 3 or 4 enemies in a whirlwind of Force it will make it all the better.

10\10

Graphics:

The graphics in the game are also superb. Much more sore the artistic qualities. If you’re a Star Wars fan you’ll be amazed at how realistic Tatooine looks and the level design and massiveness of the sith world Korriban (you’ll be even more amazed at how much better this stuff was though out than in the stuff they put in the prequels). Everything is on point, from the textures on your Jedi robe to the glare off of the bald, scaly head of the Selkath. There are some gripes though. There are a few locations where the game slows down, most notably on Korriban when you’re fighting a large number of sith, and there are some jaggies here and there. Also not much was done with the lighting in the game; you’ll know what I’m talking about when you twirl that lightsaber in a dark area and it doesn’t reflect off the way. A big nitpick that most people pick up on and you yourself will as well is how the low number of character models. Chances are the Jedi you talk to on Dantooine is going to have a twin brother Manaan. But these are minor annoyances that nowhere near bring down the cinematic quality and feel of the game.

8\10

Controls:

Not really much to say here, the controls are right on and they couldn’t get any better than this. Also by clicking the right analog sticks puts the camera in first person mode allowing you to view the scenery and really be taken in by its beauty.

10\10

Sounds:

Ah yes, the sounds. It doesn’t get any better than this. The opening sequence is lovely orchestrated, as is the rest of the game. And Bioware managed to get a hold of some damn good voice actors and they really add to the cinematic feel of the game and make you feel like you’re in the Star Wars universe. Blasters sound like blasters, lightsabers make that humming sound for every time you swing them and they clash against one another. And when the aliens speak, from the howling of the wookies, to the gargling of the Selkath, you’ll know you’re in Star Wars.

10/10

Overall Score: 10\10

I must admit this is probably the best game I’ve ever played. The little things that do bring this game down don’t matter in all the good qualities this game has. If you’re not a bum on the street, owning an Xbox and this game is a must.

On a side not, if you are a Star Wars junkie like I am, through out the course of this game and after you finish it you’re going to wonder where Mr. Lucas is getting his staff. And why this game is better than any movie he has put out in the last 5 years, only an opinion.

<

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

This game is fucking awesome! It took me 35 hours to finish the whole game and it was worth it! This is one of my favourite games of all time! I hope that they make more Star Wars games like this in the future. It is so fucking good. 10 out of 10 for me! :D :D  <

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »

And why this game is better than any movie he has put out in the last 5 years

laugh.gif So true...
I've just started this game, after not playing it when it was bought for me as I am not a great Star Wars fan - but I am looking forward to getting into this rpg.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »

i havent played this game in 6 months, but i would also give it 10/10.

i'd like to add the replay value is good with this game and there are fun mini-games like card-playing and swoop-racing. very fun indeed.

took me 32 hours without the side-quests. sometimes this game is also fun to explore the world you are on.

Kotor 2 2004/2005!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by total_ass: Sep 12 2004, 08:26 PM <

talkingwires

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (Helios @ Sep 12 2004, 08:58 AM)
I hope that they make more Star Wars games like this in the future. It is so fucking good.

I think the sequel is coming out pretty soon...  <

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 04:41:00 AM »

Yeah gotta admit this game is AWESOME! One of my favourites.

Haven't played it in over a year and it still sticks in my mind.  Was actually thinking yesterday as I was reading an article on Revenge of the Sith whether Kashykk will look in the 3rd film like it does in the game...     laugh.gif

Really immerses you into the Star Wars universe.  

monkey86

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 02:01:00 AM »

this game is truely in a class of its own. i forked out £40 for it on impulse. i havn't played a REAL rpg this addictive since chrono trigger back in mid 90s.

BUT...once you've finished it on light and dark endings, there isnt really much that brings you back. cos all the twists and turns are expected. however, that doesn't void  the fact that is is definetly a 5star game.

recommended if u like starwars. recommended EVEN MORE if u dont.   rotfl.gif

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »

BUT...once you've finished it on light and dark endings, there isnt really much that brings you back. cos all the twists and turns are expected.

Dude by that time you would've spent at least 60 HOURS on the game so I think it would have justified its worth!    :lol:   <

Neeero

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 10:49:00 PM »

Great plot line + Uber popular fiction (Star War universe) + a variation of the NWN engine = One of the best games on xbox.  <

tywilly

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

I have to agree the game rules i never did finish it though never had the time can anyone tell me what happens at the end? and i have p pop.gif layed the new one man it kikes ass aswell! pop.gif  pop.gif  beerchug.gif