xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rallisport Challenge 2 - Ntsc  (Read 401 times)

Barnolde

• Archived User
Rallisport Challenge 2 - Ntsc
« on: June 05, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

http://www.talkxbox.com/review87.html

Introduction:

I’m not a big racing fan, in fact, I think most racing games like Project Gotham, NASCAR, and Sega GT are boring. I usually avoid all racing games at all costs, but there are a few racing games that I do enjoy quite a bit, namely the unrealistic ones, such as Burnout, Quantum Redshift, and RalliSport Challenge. Now you may be asking yourself why RalliSport is in there, because it seemingly doesn’t fit, and the simple explanation is that it’s fun.

The first RalliSport Challenge was my first rally racing game when I got it three years ago, and it was a very big surprise to me. I had never even heard of rally racing before playing this game, and the only reason I gave it a shot was because I found Project Gotham Racing to be very boring. When I started playing RalliSport, I was amazed that rally racing was real, due to the extreme nature of the racing, and the variation that it held, compared to lap tracks and street racing. RalliSport Challenge 2 continues RalliSport Challenge’s fun, and realistic, albeit somewhat exaggerated view of rally racing.

Gameplay:

For those who have never played a rally racing game and don’t want a more sim oriented game like Colin McRae, RalliSport Challenge 2 is a great place to start. Rally racing’s main difference from other racing is that it is a lot more extreme and the racing conditions are more real-life and a lot more harsh. Rally racing takes place on all sorts of landscapes, from dirt tracks in the desert, to icy, snow covered levels, to races through a forest. In Single Races, it will be just like any other racing game, in which you race against opponents, but in Time Attack mode you will just be racing against the clock, with no other cars on the track. Another thing that makes rally racing unique is that you have a navigator, who tells you how the road is going to change ahead, which is important because of the rough terrain. Rally racing has a lot more variety than other racing games which just involve racing in a circle on a track or along a boring, closed off street. I find it much more interesting and entertaining to be able to race in a multitude of locales, with varying conditions that affect your driving in different ways. Another thing that sets this game apart from others is the arcade-style feel that it possesses. When you crash into something, it does not totally massacre your car, like it would in a sim game. The physics seem to be a bit toned down, as it’s not very easy to spin out or lose control, which is something done probably to appeal to the masses.

RalliSport Challenge 2 has you competing in tiers, which you complete to gain points, which you use to advance in the game, and compete in more difficult races. There are usually four main races in the tiers, in which you must complete the course as quickly as you can as you’re against the clock, not opponents, and in addition to that, you race in a closed track and you must race to complete laps faster than your opponents. RSC2 contains different modes, like the Rally Cross mode which is just the basic racing. Ice Racing and Hill Climb are just as they sound, and they also return from the first game.  Crossover Duel is a new mode which is similar to the Rally Cross mode, however, each player must switch lanes with their opponent’s car after every other lap. All of these modes are very well done, and continue to add variety to this already superb game.

Graphics:

I’ll just get this out of the way now; these graphics are amazing! RalliSport Challenge 2’s graphics border on photo realism, and they look magnificent. The level design is incredibly well done, and everything is very detailed and makes the game look better than ever. Something that seems to have been subtly added in is the realtime car model damage, which is fabulous. The
real-time damage looks incredibly realistic, and it adds an incredible amount of realism and believability to the game. The courses are not just tracks, everything has vibrant detail on a large scale from the immense number of blades of grass, to water, to trees, to spectators. The draw distance is superb and the detail of the courses only aids in this. There is quite a bit of bump mapping used as well, which makes the dirt part of the track look a lot more realistic.

Probably one of the most drastic and welcome changes I feel is that of the cars themselves. Not only do the cars look a lot more detailed and realistic. Now, what’s a game without being able to mess up all those nice foreign cars, a bad one I’d say, and DICE agrees with me. RalliSport Challenge 2 has some of the best real time damage I’ve ever seen in a game, and I’ve played Burnout 2 excessively. The car damage is realtime and it reflects where the car is damaged. The car can get dusty, the windshields can break, the car can get dented and scratched, and it all looks very realistic. The damage looks so nice, that you’ll almost want to crash to see how superb the damage looks. The fact that it’s realtime also helps, because when you crash, you get a dent, and it just improves the game’s believability quite a bit.

Audio:

Audio in racing games is always a hard thing to judge, since it’s mostly just the car’s noises and the soundtrack. The crashes and crunches in RSC2 sound very realistic, and as does the car’s acceleration. RalliSport Challenge 2 also contains the voice of your co-driver who tells you what the road is going to be like ahead, and he does a very good job of it as well, despite being completely monotone all the time. The soundtrack of the game is your run of the mill assortment of songs, but with custom soundtracks, I barely bothered to listen to them.

Controls:

Like the first RalliSport game, the controls are spot on in this game. RSC2 isn’t very hard to control, then again, no good racing game is. This game works well in both manual and standard, and it’s very easy to pick up and play. The control layout is as follows:

Left thumbstick – Steer
Right thumbstick - Nothing
Left trigger – Brake (Hold to reverse)
Right trigger – Accelerate
A button – Emergency Brake
B button – Gear shift up
X button – Gear shift down
Y button – Rear view mirror
White button – Reset car on track
Black button – Switch camera view

Replay:

Easily the biggest change in RalliSport Challenge 2 is the addition of Xbox Live play and XSN support. These things alone only further extend the replay value of this already tremendous game. RSC2 boasts 90 tracks, although there are not 90 unique ones, as some are the same track, with some minor differences, but it’s a vast improvement over RSC1’s 48 tracks. There is a longer and deeper career mode, combined with an entire new mode, and the gameplay just plays a lot better, so it’ll be a lot more fun to replay.

Summary:

RalliSport Challenge 2 is easily one of Xbox’s best racing titles. DICE has done a wondrous job with this amazing sequel. The racing part is a lot more fun to play, and the game looks much better and more detailed than its predecessor did. RSC2 plays as well as it looks too, and I feel that the gameplay has become a lot more fun as well. RSC2 also contains some amazing real time damage, and excellent car models. With Xbox Live play and XSN support as well, any racing fan should do themselves a favor a pick this one up.

Scores:
Gameplay - 9.3
Graphics - 9.5
Audio - 8.8
Controls - 9.1
Replay - 9.6
Overall - 9.2

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »

I talk to alot of gamers on xbox live and since many on my friends list play this game alot I thought Id ask some of them about it.  Simply put they said it was one of the best racng games they ever played.  I myself like racing games for a quick thrill but it will usually sit on the shelf most of the time due to no real challenge against the computer opponents.  With xbox live, this solves that problem.  Also the controls are real tight which is very importent in a racing game.  I'm not going to give it a score myself since I only got to play it for about 20 minutes but anyone who loves racing games should pick this up.  <

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »

Perfect!  Once again another outstanding review by Barnolde.  Rallisport 2 ranks up as one of the 3 best xbox games on my list.  <

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 06:04:00 AM »

Yep, best game on my box next to Halo and PGR2.  <

Roj X. Mugwump

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »

i just got this and am now leaning towards it in leiu of pgr2... was a big fan of pgr2
but ive just lost the passion now... so rallisport 2 has killed my copy of pgr2 and
sent it to that pile of games marked "Titles that i did not complete" :(

roj  <

sulfur

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »

i think this game is pretty good, but i think its gets a little reapative.  <

Soulja545

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

this game is awesome, i got it a while ago and i passed the game in 3 days. i love it.  <

RcbUK

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 11:18:00 AM »

Any screenies?  <

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 06:23:00 AM »

DICE is a swedish company, and we're not very famous for our games, except the Battlefield-serie, which DICE also made. When a swedish game comes out on the Xbox I really want to try it right away. Midtown madness was also amde by DICE.
But I will probably be the first to say that this game wasn't what I expected. The graphics and the tracks are all well-made, but the game has such unrealistic physics. It's really hard to steer it correctly without sliding. Ok, you get used to it, but I still think it's really annoying. Had it not been for the bad physics it would've been the best racing game out on the xbox. That being said I still enjoyed it, but the critics said it was one of the best games on the xbox, and I don't agree with that.  <

pellevinken

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (gronne @ Jul 8 2004, 02:12 PM)
DICE is a swedish company, and we're not very famous for our games, except the Battlefield-serie, which DICE also made. When a swedish game comes out on the Xbox I really want to try it right away. Midtown madness was also amde by DICE.

Did you know that Chronicles of Riddick was made by Starbreeze, a swedish developer?  <

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

I agree this game is kick ass all the way around.  It looks especialy good on a PC monitor..  <

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

I have to say that I disagree with my earlier post. After playing it for 4-5 hours the physics wasn't disturbing the least, and it became like my favourite game since Halo was released (and possibly KOTOR). Now I would say it's one of the best games released so far. And yes Pellevinken, I know about Starbreeze, and Riddick is really looking awesome. The two games I play the most now are swedish rolleyes.gif

mattyj25

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »

I love this game.  The sense of speed when in first person mode is crazy.  The environments are very detailed and while the physics took a little bit to adjust to from PGR2, it becomes second nature after a few minutes and is a refreshing change from PGR2.  

Only downside is the races against other computer controlled cars.  Not enough of them and it's just too easy (so far....I'm on PRO right now.  Just finished ametuer).

Besides that, the weather effects, detail and ....detail....and more f'ing detail.  Very cool looking game.

8.9 is my score.

Happy new year e'rybody  :beer: <

xSonarx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 07:46:00 AM »

Rating 75 - 100 <

etjazz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »

and the list is:

3. Rallisport Challenge 2 = Ok graphics, but waaay to unrealistic and easy. It's arcade rally for kids.

2. Collin McRae 2005 = Nice graphics, a tiny bit more realistic and challenging. It's rally for kids above 10 years who would like a challenge.

1. Richard Burns Rally = WOW!!WOW!!WOW!! If you really would like to know what driving a rallycar feels like, this is the game to get. It's simply amazing! If you're used to drive the arcade car games, it will take a couple of hours before you master this game. Burns is probably closer to a "Rally Simulator" than a game. This game is the XXX of car racing, it's probably as good as it will ever get on XBOX(1) - it's rally for MEN!

I bought rallisport after playing Burns for a while, but rallisport really disappointed me - it's not more a rally game than the latest micromashines  sad.gif   .... thats my thoughts anyway.