xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nfs:underground  (Read 463 times)

SS-King

• Archived User
Nfs:underground
« on: May 11, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »

This game is great, kind of short but great, I will give you my overall rating first then describe after.

Overall: 8

Sound: 10, The sound in this game is awesome, I have never heard such good music on a game, and the cars sound totally awesome. You can hear the turbo's so great and nothing like hearing the roar of NOS.

Graphics: 7, The graphics in this game are crazy, but I do not like the whole track part, its not really street racing, its just street theme, but that is besides the point, the cars look rad and you can just about do anything you want to them. One major bad thing is the fact that every car is white, and the graphics on them suck. But besides that s'all good.

Gameplay: 8, The gameplay is pretty awesome because it is very realistic, but to realistic damnit, I am always spinnin out because i am petal to the metal every lap every race.

Story: 7, The story isnt all that great becasue there isn't much about it, but it is just like any other racing game and any other game, beat the best = being the best. Your goal is to get number one in drag, drift, sprint, and circuit.

My thought of this game: This game is awesome, but yet the game cheats and is very short. What I mean by cheating is they will make your car spin out for no simple reason, its kinda stupid really. And there is only 111 races, it took me about 21 hrs total to get to 102, but the greatness of this game's sound and graphics and gameplay make up for it, this game is a must get if you ask me, please reply if you feel different.

King  <

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

bull shit
every one said this game was great and i saw nothing great about it
i heard it was so great because of the street racing BFD lots of games are street racing games

Gran turismo was way better than this, hell sega Gt was better

where did all of the GOOD cars go  uhh.gif

i would give this game a -7.905
jk

maybe a 4.5

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (deathx88 @ May 12 2004, 07:37 PM)
bull shit
every one said this game was great and i saw nothing great about it
i heard it was so great because of the street racing BFD lots of games are street racing games

Gran turismo was way better than this, hell sega Gt was better

where did all of the GOOD cars go  :uhh:

i would give this game a -7.905
jk

maybe a 4.5

Well thanks for your very well-thought out analysis of this game.

I'm going to disagree with this review on a few points though.

Sound - 6
It's average sound, it's that simple, none of the cars sound remarkably different and when the nitrous kicks in the game has thay cheeze F&F sound. Also I'm not a big rap fan so it's either turn down the music volume or deal with it. There's no support for custom soundtracks. Also if I recall correctly like 1 or 2 songs are pretty much milked for the majority of the game from the soundtrack pool.

Graphics - 6
Again average graphics, your car doesn't take damage? What the heck? I understand in the early PSX days car damage wasn't all that important, but to not have it at all? I want to see what really happens when you try and take a fiberglass body kit over a 3 inch curb and it splinters everywhere. I did like the customization factor and being able to do your car you way, but that's one small aspect of a bigger picture that they missed.

Gameplay - 4 (if going for realism) 8 (if going for arcade)
I'm splitting my gameplay vote here because if you're looking for a street racing sim this isn't it. First they'd need to make something that shrinks the penis of the gamer because we all know true street racers have small dicks hence their need to prove how awesome their import is. Real cars break down, they shatter, and everything else when smacked into a corner or clipping another car or anything else, this isn't touched on at all in this game, you can even jump your car. Speaking from experience you can't jump a car at any speed. Just more arcade-type gameplay. It was fun, but realism is nowhere in the cards.

Story - 8
 I'm going high score on the story because it is what it is, a be the best work your way up story, but the magazine covers you can win featuring your car sure is a great addition and increases the fun factor.

Overall 6.5 on this bad boy, very fun, very arcade like, if you're a NFS fan like me you'll like it, but it's too much of a cliche game, you're always racing cars just like your own (suped up imports or the Neon wtf would they include a Neon in this game? I mean then put my Saturn and Rylinkus's Probe and your mom's Chevy Celebrity in the game too cater too much to the F&F wannabe and reinforce a negative racer stereotype (keep it on the track boys where it belongs)). Coulda been great, ended up average, worth a buy in my opinion or at least a rent. :)  <

SS-King

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »

Exactly this game isnt really street racing, its the street car import scheme, and the reason for the neon was because, if you have ever been to street races or seen some imports, most of them actually have neon lights under the car, its just makes the game longer in fact, to unlock the goods to make the goods.

King  sleeping.gif

jz28

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

i am totally with mike96sc2 on this one... on every single point too smile.gif

MonsterCrash

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

This game is quite weak IMO, typical EA racing game. Just enough eye candy to make you pick up the box and think it could be good, only to pop it in and play it and be disappointed.

The sound is average, the motor sounds aren't great or really anything better than GranTurismo 1 from years ago.

The music track is horrible.

The graphics are average, not eye popping like PGR2 or even Toca2.

The game play is extremely repetitive, race against a couple cars on the same tracks over and over. Then run a drift race. Then run a quarter mile race. Then repeat ad nauseum. It takes for ever to get any meaningful improvement to your cars performance. You'll get bored long before this really gets moving.

You might want to rent this game if a hard core ricer wannabe,  but don't waste your money buying it. If you want to race cars on street circuits get PGR2. If you want to race real race cars get Toca2. If you want a game where you can tune and modify a street car into a race car then wait for Forza or go buy a PS2 and get GranTurismo3 or wait for v4 for Xmas.  <

death_driver_911

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

i am totally with mike96sc2 on this one... on every single point too

me too  <

Emanon74

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (SS-King @ May 13 2004, 07:36 PM)
Exactly this game isnt really street racing, its the street car import scheme, and the reason for the neon was because, if you have ever been to street races or seen some imports, most of them actually have neon lights under the car, its just makes the game longer in fact, to unlock the goods to make the goods.

King  sleeping.gif

The Neon he is talking about is the car not the lights.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Emanon74 @ May 26 2004, 09:33 PM)
The Neon he is talking about is the car not the lights.

correct, i think my post got skimmed a lil too fast, i noticed that when i read his reply too but didn't say anything.

basically i just think it had a lot more potential coming from a need for speed franchise

considering those who wanted underground for the F&F image will be the sequel, but the rest of us EA will have to convince to slap down $50 and make it worthwhile.  <

tommy2hotty

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

Neon is a big car in the import scene with the SRT-4.  Also how many neon's have you seen with stuff done to them, wethere its ugly or not isn't the question, it's called marketing.  NOS makes a noise??  Do you mean the Blow Off Valve whistle noise??  <

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (tommy2hotty @ Jun 3 2004, 09:55 AM)
Neon is a big car in the import scene with the SRT-4.  Also how many neon's have you seen with stuff done to them, wethere its ugly or not isn't the question, it's called marketing.

ROTFLMFAO

You can't be serious. Honestly there's a total lack of mods for a neon in the real world and you don't see R/T Neons in the game either. No this was a lame attempt to cash in on all those pussies who think their neon is cool. I'm saying if you're sticking one pussy chick car in the game why not stick 30, by your logic there should be Chevrolet Cavaliers in this game, I know plenty of small-dicked individuals who think their Cavalier is fast and furious. This game plays to an overhyped genre that's spawning billions of deuche bags every minute who claim to be "down" and "into the scene" and everything else. Then they hop in their Neons and Cavaliers and go home. Thats why they are in the game, they're a teat for the wussy boys to latch onto.

Edit - The Neon can't be big in the import car scene either, it's an American-Made car, and a poorly one at that. (which shows why we're getting our asses kicked by imports).

This post has been edited by mike96sc2: Jun 8 2004, 05:06 PM <

tommy2hotty

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (mike96sc2 @ Jun 8 2004, 05:54 PM)
ROTFLMFAO

You can't be serious. Honestly there's a total lack of mods for a neon in the real world and you don't see R/T Neons in the game either. No this was a lame attempt to cash in on all those pussies who think their neon is cool. I'm saying if you're sticking one pussy chick car in the game why not stick 30, by your logic there should be Chevrolet Cavaliers in this game, I know plenty of small-dicked individuals who think their Cavalier is fast and furious. This game plays to an overhyped genre that's spawning billions of deuche bags every minute who claim to be "down" and "into the scene" and everything else. Then they hop in their Neons and Cavaliers and go home. Thats why they are in the game, they're a teat for the wussy boys to latch onto.

Edit - The Neon can't be big in the import car scene either, it's an American-Made car, and a poorly one at that. (which shows why we're getting our asses kicked by imports).

The SRT-4 Neon has a stock turbo and FMIC... For under 20 grand its making a name for itself in the scene.  personally I drive a WRX and wouldn't drive an SRT-4 because when it comes down to it, its stilla Neon.  <

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »

Well that's peachy, but it's still not in the game, so it's not a good argument.

Also when you head gasket goes like happens in every Chrysler vehicle then it won't be so awesome of a machine.

Back to topic though, it's not in the game and a neon still sucks no matter how many turbos and such are put on it.

I can put a turbo onto a turd and that doesn't make it the original turd belong in a street racing game.  <

jesus_clone

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »

damn straight mike  <

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 04:39:00 AM »

NFS Underground was a cool game... Didn't last long though.... Oh well... Still a bloody good game.... Overall 8.5 out of 10 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2