xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: James Bond 007 Everything Or Nothing Disappointing  (Read 286 times)

ArcticWolf

• Archived User
James Bond 007 Everything Or Nothing Disappointing
« on: February 29, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
JB007:EoN uses the third person perspective.  The left analog stick controls the character movement and the right analog stick controls the camera view angle.  When the left analog control is moved, only the character should move; the camera angle should not change.  Only the right analog stick should change the camera angle.  In JB007:EoN, when the character is moved with the left analog stick, the camera angle also changes, which is very frustrating!  Very often you want to move the character while keeping the camera angle steady, but you can't do that in JB007:EoN.  MechAssault and Splinter Cell have perfect control setup where the camera angle doesn't change when the character moves.

Regarding the driving controls in JB007:EoN, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Anyone with any common sense or brains would obviously see that the left analog stick should control the acceleration, the reverse, and the steering, and the right trigger should fire the weapons, but in JB007:EoN, the right trigger is the acceleration.  What the hell!  The firing is done with the A button.  To make it worse, there's no way to reconfigure the controls.  Another possible control configuration would be to designate the left analog stick for the acceleration and the reverse, the right analog stick for the steering, the left trigger for the weapons select, and the right trigger for firing the weapons.

A ridiculous option that makes no sense is that you can invert the horizontal controls.  Why would anyone invert the horizontal controls?!  Vertical control is commonly inverted, which is the default in many games, but there really is absolutely no reason to invert the horizontal controls.

In JB007:EoN, you can lock onto a target, and while the target is locked, you can "fine tune" the target lock using the right analog stick, but the vertical in target lock fine tuning is not inverted, although the vertical camera control is inverted; this is a source of confusion.  So, when you move the camera angle, the vertical is inverted, but when you fine tune the target lock, the vertical is not inverted.  Great work EA!

The James Bond character doesn't move smoothly, and the movement doesn't seem “natural”.  The snappy abrupt movements are reminiscent of classic arcade games.  The movements of characters in Splinter Cell seem more natural and doesn't have the "Donkey Kong" like feel.  Considering that JB007:EoN is EA's first "third person perspective" in the James Bond series, I guess I can understand.

The development team really screwed up on the controls.  The control issue is frustratingly disappointing because otherwise, it's not a bad game.
 <

melongstrike

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

thanks for your OPINION

while you may think the horizontal invert is ridiculous and makes no sene there are some people that actually uses this feature.

It is becoming increasingly important that more companies use this option to give the "DIFFERENT" gamers around the world the chance to actually customize "their" controller type not just yours, and maybe the chance to enjoy the game.

Personally I refuse to play Max Payne 2, kill.switch, soldier of fortune and many others because some think like you and also believe the option to customize one's controllers are ridiculous and maybe even a waste of time. Thank God for Bungie and Halo with their many controller types can we say legacy/green thumb!

This post has been edited by melongstrike: Mar 1 2004, 01:35 AM <

rgtaa

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »

i agree with the second poster! smile.gif

I also like that some games give us the option of how we set it up.  Crimson sky, halo, ect ... all allow me to invert or non-invert some of the settings.

It seems like the orginal poster is not comfortable with the lay-out but you can change some of the settings in this game.

For example if I look up I like pushing the up pad ... but in alot of games pushing up makes the guy look down.  So I adjust this in 1/2 the games.  Same with the other settings.  

What doesn't feel right (example what the first poster wrote) many times can be adjusted.  I think it goes back to Flight Sims vrs First person or Third person shooters...    In flight sims it makes since to pull back to go up ...  and I'm use to that!  The opposite in First or Third person shooters.  hence the problem for some of us! smile.gif

I LOVE this GAME!  Excellent GAME 9 out of 10 for me!  Most PRO reviewers LOVE this game too!  It's almost like you are in a movie!

ArcticWolf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

Hey rgtaa, in one of the earlier missions, you're flying a helicopter, and the control is not inverted.  As you pointed out, in flight sims, the control should be inverted, but in JB007:EoN, the flight controls are not inverted, and they don't give you the option to change the flight controls.  That's what my problem is with EA; EA should give us the option to change the control settings.  <

rgtaa

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

you could be right... i haven't gotten to the helichopper ... but I did adjust the invert in this game ... so maybe when you are in helichopper you can switch the inverter ....    
Did you try this ...  
In some of the other James Bond Games you can adjust this stuff.
I remember in 007 Nightfire ... you are given 3 or 4 adjustments ... for example GoldenEye Controller setup, Classic ect, ...
In this game you are given some adjustments ... maybe double check ... even in middle of action you can adjust these settings.
I know in Burnout 2 and Burnout 1 I didn't like that I couldn't control the settings... I use to like Green Button to accelerate and Blue to brake ... I had a hard time using triggers.  So I understand what you are saying ...    I did get use to Triggers to Acc and Brake and most racing games use that ... I HAD to GET USED to it! smile.gif

floyd

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

I play 3rd-person games ideally with inverted horizontal and inverted vertical.  When I play a game like Splinter Cell, with no option to invert horizontal, I really get thrown off!

Overall, Bond EON controls great.  I have no probs with finetuning either. The car controls are awesome.  Sure they could have used the analog stick for accel/decel as an option but you make it sound as if thats a standard - its not.  Right trigger for accel, left for brake is a standard since Dreamcast.  Works great for me.

The animation looks good to me as well - though in cutscenes Bond sometimes moves 'unnaturally' somehow.

Really, the only faults I can find with Bond:

- M and Q are WAY TOO QUICK to give you the hints necessary to solve a puzzle/action sequence.  They treat Bond like a fucking retard! ("Use the rappel here, Bond..."  No shit Q!!)
- Some graphic slowdown.  Only really bad in the cutscenes but sometimes driving sequences are choppy too for no good reason.
- Certain mission objectives are either too vague or seem 'tacked on' and just a hoop to jump through.

Other than that, great game.  Best licence-based game in a long, long time.

<

messyjesse21

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

I think this game just has the same problems as any most other 3rd person shooters but i am very pleased with it overall i also agree its the best liscensed game to come along in a while..maybe the best since golden eye rolleyes.gif  Me and my friend were absolutly blown away at how amazing some of the scenery is especially when you jump off that cliff and have to catch the girl "shannon elizabeth" that part was F*ckin awesome!!!!!

I would highly reccomend this game to anyone that wanted to listen

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »

I thought it was a great game, and had no poblems with the controls what so ever.

But to each there own  <

irfan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

Im only going to comment on a couple things...

First.. the driving controls are just liek any other driving game ever made... trigger is gas. simple.

second..  <rant> the aiming DOES suck.  who the hell makes a game based on shooting (ya i know.. its 'stealth'... but we all knwo its a shooter), and doesnt let you free aim!? you have to be locked on a target to even start aiming.  want to shoot a barrel? well u better get in 'bond' mode, lock on, then fire.  wanna try ur luck at firing at the guy across the temple? better wait til ur in range so u can lock on first.  See three guys next to each other, ready to mow them down with an AK? better lock on THREE times.  damn thats frustrating... made me stop playing the game altogether.

its pretty looking... but so many companies forget that the controls are what make the game.  is goldeneye the best looking game ever? hell no, but its fun as hell to play because the controls are rock solid.

</rant>  <

Esperados

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

hmm.. it seems like some of the cutscenes run a bit choppy here..is that normal?  <

floyd

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (Esperados @ Mar 8 2004, 07:05 PM)
hmm.. it seems like some of the cutscenes run a bit choppy here..is that normal?

yes.  not sure why but at least it doesn't affect gameplay  <

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »

its different...but its not growing on me as i had hoped...to the corner it goes  <

Dunny

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (Arius @ Mar 6 2004, 09:02 AM)
I thought it was a great game, and had no poblems with the controls what so ever.

But to each there own

Had no problems with the control myself, worked very well.  I could only play it inverted too, so its definatly not a ridiculous feature.  ;)

This post has been edited by Dunny: Mar 10 2004, 04:02 PM <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

they ruined the best part of the bond games though... the mulitplayer. It's absolutley horrible.  The coop isn't too bad but why the hell can't either player be bond himself????  <

Soulja545

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

i didnt really like this game either..i bought it and i was sorta disappointed, its not bad tho, couldve been better  <