xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cabela's Dangerous Hunts, Ntsc  (Read 107 times)

Rahszhul

• Archived User
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts, Ntsc
« on: December 06, 2003, 07:54:00 AM »

TITLE: Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
PUBLISHER: Activision
DEVELOPER: Funlabs
DATE RELEASED: 11/11/03

Do you remember those old Cabela's arcade games? Had an odd looking rifle/light gun, and you shot from your limited supply of bullets at a screen that seemed remniscent of Duck Hunt?

Thankfully, the recent Cabela's games have not been like that.

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts brought an interesting perspective to this game series. Rather than things always running away from you on sight, they are now able to bring a nice big paw print to the side of your head, or a hoof into your sternum.

The thing that disappointed me most about this game, is that they took out the third person view option. I thought being able to see around you while wandering around was a lot better, as you seem to get stuck on "terrain" that you don't see in first person mode.

Well, nevermind... the most disappointing thing about this game was when I shot a Coyote once in it's right eye, once into it's mouth, once into it's right hind leg, and once into it's left ear, and the bastard still came at me. One more shot into the head downed it. On the exact polar opposite, I shot a bear in the forehead with a .44 Mag, and killed it. I thought that was odd, as I had just shot what in real life would have been the thickest part of a bear's skull, just to piss it off.

Other than those slight oddities, I thought this game was worth the rent.

Game Modes
"Quick Hunt" will dump you right into the action, allowing you to select each option for the hunt, or going with a default hunt.

"Action Zone" is ... interesting. You get dumped into a feild, and must kill any of the nearby animals before they kill you. When all the animals are dead, a portal? will active. You have 15 seconds to get through the portal, or more animals will come to kill you. When you do step through the portal you are dumped into another feild to kill a few more animals. Lather, rinse, repeat until done.

"Career Hunt" can be fun. It's got two internal modes within it, called "Challenge" and "Charter". The challenges are widely varied from "Kill a Kodiak bear with a pistol from 50 yards or nearer." to "Kill a goat, and use it to lure four wolves." In charter mode, you go to the games various settings, and purchase hunting tags. Both of these modes will earn you money, with which you can buy more ammo, equipment, and weapons.

Overall, I think this game is fairly fun. It's at least is worth the rental if you explore each of the game modes.